Marzocchi Roco TST R Rear Shock

3.5/5 (18 Reviews)

RocoTST R Coil ShockThe RocoTST R coil shock isThe heavier-duty version ofThe Roco for riders who require big-hit capable shocksFeatures Ext. adjustableTrail SelectionTechnology (TST) has five compression settings for on-the-fly adjustment Ext. adjustable Rebound Ext. adjustable bottom-out resistance via piggyback air valve Low leverage-rate shim stack Spring Preload Designed for freeride and all-mountain Spring and mounting hardware sold separately EyeTo e

Submitted by coiler16 a Weekend Warrior from st. louis, mo USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    very plush, tst feature makes climbing easier, although i mostly have it on the AM setting. very responsive shock

Weaknesses:    apparently the knock or clunk mid-stroke is a common thing. just rebuilt mine and it still does it. i have also been told (not by marzocchi) that it was designed to be a user-serviceable shock. while my rebuild went smoothly, it is a pretty complex shock once its opened up, so i'd send it off for a rebuild

Bottom Line:
love this shock, but i know that in this particular year marz was having some quality issues. oil leakage hasnt been a huge problem for me yet, its just the knocking noise. apparently its all resolved now, so i cant wait to get my hands on a new roco tst air!

Favorite Trail:   the ones i build

Purchased At:   came on my bike - eb

Similar Products Used:   none. first full squish bike

Bike Setup:   kona coilair supreme with 2008 roco tst-r, 7.875x2.25 and a 550# spring

Submitted by Motor City Milo a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    Seemed to be solid... Then out of the blue started acting up. Seems to be common problem... Marz would be wise to fix this... They are not the only player in the game anymore..

Weaknesses:    Rebound control... After about 2 years or 3-5 days/yr on a hill, it started clicking at the rebound knob. Tried switching it out to a DHX4 but leverage angles on my Stinky D made it too close to set proper sag.

Bottom Line:
Marz has not been the same. It used to be they were soild. - They still are, but only if you get the old stuff. Quality is just not the same... Too bad too...

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant

Purchased At:   Kona Factory Frame

Similar Products Used:   None... Hardtail Pride...

Bike Setup:   08 Stinky D, Hadley, Deity bar/Stem/Seat/Grips, E13 chain, 07 888, x9, atomlabs rims and a Hone Crank.

Submitted by boostjuice a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    Machining, anodizing and design look nice. Plush compression.

Weaknesses:    Leaks Oil like incontinent old person. Decals are cheap and bubbling from the constant oil sheen. Knobs are cheap feeling and don't click positively. Knocks between compression and rebound strokes as others have said. Rebound range too slow.

Bottom Line:
Don't bother with this shock. The positives simply do not outwiegh the cons. Mine has only seen very light hits and intermittent use and its pissn oil like Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico.

Fox DHX 5.0 coil seems the logical alternative.

Submitted by upupandaway a Downhiller from Marburg DE

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Strengths:    works well uphill and downhill, supposedly easy to DIY-service, easy setup, (red anodized piggyback)

Weaknesses:    knocking sound that reminds me of loose mounts but which it isn´t, effectively has only two distinct compression settings (full open/ almost lockout), but that´s probably all most riders would need

Bottom Line:
works well for me - setup is simple, my shock has nice clicks to index rebound or compression;
uphill the TST setting closes up and eleminates pedal bob, which adds to the decent climbing qualities of an FR;
downhill it feels very plush, takes quick and big hits alike, gives good control

Similar Products Used:   RP23, EX200

Bike Setup:   Helius FR with Lyrik, Hope M4, Pro2/Flows, i950, Hammerschmidt AM

Submitted by InsaNeil024 a Downhiller from Glastonbury, CT, US

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2009

Strengths:    Bottomless, rebuildable, adjustments, price, great feel

Weaknesses:    TST instead of HS/LS compression adjustments. Marzocchi made it and we all have a bad story with their costumer service.

Bottom Line:
This Shock is awesome. I used to have an older model TST R and they have definitely made some huge improvements. The TST switch and Rebound knob make huge adjustments and have much better indexing mechanisms. I really like my DHX on my DH bike but it took a whole season to break in and feel good. This felt amazing the second I installed it and only got better. It doesnt have the individual adjustments like a DHX but I almost like that. The DHX is pretty complicated and takes a while to dial in properly. Also you have to have a good understanding of suspension in general to know the real effects of each adjustment and how it effects other adjustments you made and how those adjustment effect the handling of the bike in different riding conditions. The Roco is much simpler which I wouldnt want for racing but for FR it's great. I dont have to think too much and it feels great. The TST switch is accessible and perfect for quickly adjusting the suspension for up hill, down hill, or XC. It seems like a lot of people have leakage issues, all I can say is I've never had a problem but if I did I'd probably be more likely to log on and b*tch about it if it had leaked so it might not be as common as it looks.

Favorite Trail:   steep and technical

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop in Man

Similar Products Used:   CaneCreek Cloud 9, Vanilla R, 5th element, DHX 4.0, DHX 5.0, DHX RC2, '07 TST R

Bike Setup:   It's my FR/AM bike. '02 Kona Stinty Five w/ Rock Shox Pike w/ lockout, RaceFace Diabolus cranks, Sram X9 components, Sun Ringle Equalizer rims.

Submitted by urquhartskye a Downhiller from scotland

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    feels nice and plush and takes the hits.

Weaknesses:    there is a knocking on the turn from compression to rebound.

Bottom Line:
it is a nice shock but the knocking is annoying on smoother trails. on DH i cant notice it cos it is working too hard anyway but its always in the back of my mind. my shock has not leaked so far as others say, and it seems impossible to bottom out!

Favorite Trail:   fort william DH

Bike Setup:   marin quake

Submitted by kelownamike a Downhiller from Kelowna, bc

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Climb Setting to reduce bob

Weaknesses:    Not fast enough. I have rebound all the way off and it just right but all other shocks I have at least a few clicks of rebound on. I would like the option to speed it up for fast bumpy dh runs.

The shock "knocks" while changing from rebound to compress. I have spoken to 5 other riders that have this noise on theirs. The shock has been back to marz twice and still same noise. It sounds as if the shock mount is loose.

Bottom Line:
I am disappointed with the clunking noise and the rebound speed, but like the climb setting. A Fox DHX5 feels much better to me, except no easy lockout.

Similar Products Used:   fox dhx3,4,and 5, Roco WC Air.

Bike Setup:   marin quake (6.7"), 400lb Ti Spring (also tried a 400lb steel and 350lb steel coil), 66rc2x, elixir CR, 721/sun wheelset. 40lb build.

Submitted by Chafenator a Weekend Warrior from Whitefish, MT 59937

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2009

Strengths:    The TST lockout. Great for climbing but knob leaks oil. if the shock functioned it would perfect, some of the features are very cool, but it is constantly leaking oil, even after service and you have to pay to ship i back yee haa.

Weaknesses:    Every fitting is leaking oil and i have yet to hit any thing over 4 feet.

Bottom Line:
On my first Ride after installing it, I took it just around town. I got back and from around TST knob oil was leakin out bad, and it got worse as I loosened the knob and better with tightening. So I sent it in and customer service was extremely rude, and unhelpful, his name was Mike. If you get Mike ask for someone else the other guy was fairly cool. So i get the shock back take it on five runs down the local mountain and every fitting is leaking oil. The spacers are cheap the knobs are cheap the decals are cheap, Marzocchi is becoming Cheap. Fox is in a whole different league. spend the extra money get a Fox this thing is a joke and is a direct reflection of some of the personel at Marzocchi. I had i very bad expierence and got to spend 450 dollars for it. I will never but another Marzocchi component.

Favorite Trail:   Mcguire

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 4.0. GO WITH FOX! and no i dont work for fox. but i love to bike and when i spend 400 dollars on a shock i want it to perform. Fox performs, marzocchi leaks.

Bike Setup:   08 Reign X, FOX Talas RC2(superb), Roco TST R (a joke), Easton Havocs (Nice wheels)

Submitted by kelli a Weekend Warrior from los angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2009

Strengths:    seems like its heavy duty, no leaks, no problems, feels good, like the TST switch, dont have that on Fox Coils.

Weaknesses:    where is the air valve?
I hate the rebound knob---like the Progressive ones of days gone by.

Bottom Line:
As I mentioned it has the TSTR switch like on the Marzocchi Air version and Fox's DHX Air shocks. I like that option when its necessary to climb without any bob. Also its looks heavy duty. I don't like the rbound knob---it looks cheap and doesnt have that good "click" feel on Fox and the Manitou shocks. However Marzocchi is a good brand and I can live with it. Looks nice too with the red paint job.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   FOX DHX 5.0
FOX VAN R
5th Element

Bike Setup:   2007 Santa Cruz Bullit

Submitted by Tigerstripe40 a Downhiller from Salt Lake CIty, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Strengths:    Marzocchi plushness.

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjustment blows out.

Bottom Line:
This shock sucks up big hits like it should.
That said, after 1.5 years of riding on the shock the rebound adjustment no longer works which is disappointing. A frind of mine has a DHX 5 thats older than my Rocco and the DHX is still working fine.
If the rebound still worked, this would be a topnotch product.
Right now I am debating having the shock Push'd or just putting on a Fox DHX 5.0

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled

Purchased At:   All Mountain Sport

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Transition Dirtbag. Halo SAS wheels. x.9 drivetrain Zocchi 66 ETA Light fork

Submitted by redrook a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    Feels absolutely bottomless if you need it. Very smooth ride and the simple adjustability is fantastic.

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
No better shock ive seen. Great looking, great performance. The 5 way TST adjustment switch is so simple to use, never slips and turns the bike from super plush to climbing stiff. Excellent all round shock.

Purchased At:   The Bike Worx