Marzocchi Roco RC World Cup Rear Shock

• Preload
  • Alloy shaft, Alloy body

Submitted by RadiotelemetrieMoskau a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2010

Strengths:    simple external adjustements (2 low speed needles) for fine tuning, can be adjustet internally to suit any frame or rider (fully revalvable high speed circuits).

incredibly easy to rebuild and bleed.

Weaknesses:    Highspeed Adjustment only internally (no external clicker).
Shaft wears quickly but is cheap to replace.

Internal adjustments need a (heck of a) lot of knowledge of how damping works. NOT for everybody.

German distributor is an idiot.

Bottom Line:
In My Opinion this is by far the best shock I have ever owned, once set up to fit my frame and riding style it does everything I want it to. Right valving is hard to archive but once you have it, goes like stink, great shock.

Experienced mechanic? Buy it, you can adjust it indefinately and make it your perfect dream shock you never want to give up for anything else.

Normal rider? Good shock, but adjustability is limited.
Get a vivid.

4 for value bc. of shaft wear
4 overall because of limited external adjustments.

Favorite Trail:   Harz / Ore Mountains

Purchased At:   Alutech Bikes, came

Similar Products Used:   Vanilla RC, DHX, Swinger, Revox, Vivid, RC4... To be exact, the whole bunch of them.

Bike Setup:   Alutech Wildsau Enduro Custom with Boxxer (homemade damping cartridge), a lot of tune, dt swiss and shimano gear around.

Submitted by badbadleroybrown a Downhiller from Escondido, CA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Strengths:    Highly adjustable and high performance! Does what it should and never get's in the way. No platform damping to screw up your low speed compression, no funky adjustable 'propedal' platform to screw with you... just smooth, buttery, predictable damping throughout the stroke.

Weaknesses:    On frame designs that rely upon the shock for structual support, can break... but that's true of any shock and is more a function of poor frame design than anything else.

Bottom Line:
If you want a real damper without any of the gimmicky platform damping functions that are all too common today, this is the shock for you. Smooth compression damping throughout the stroke, smooth & predictable rebound... even off bottom-out. Adjustable compression, preload, rebound, and bottom-out resistance allows you to dial it in exactly as you want it. Out performs just about anything else out there. I havent ridden any of the boutique units like BOS or the CC DoubleBarrel but definately better than the DHX series and, in my opinion, even better than the Vivids. Really comes to life with a Ti spring. For the money, simply cant be beaten. In fact, I think I'd rather drop a couple hundred to have Push or CR1 Engineering tune a Roco as opposed to dropping a similar amount of cash into a more boutique shock. No complaints, I actually run a ROCO WC on all my bikes!

Favorite Trail:   The ones that go downhill

Purchased At:   A secret spot...

Similar Products Used:   DHX 5.0, DHX 4.0, Vivid 5.1

Bike Setup:   A few...

Submitted by bkyz a Weekend Warrior from Toronto,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    Its a Marzocchi gotta Rep there name, there great at customer service and im loving every for i ever had from them :)

Weaknesses:    OK this is the reason i submited this its directed to MARZOCCHI , why is it ive blown up both of my 2008 Roco WC atleast 8 times in the past month and i havent even put on ten minutes of riding before that red oh so familier oil starts spewing out ? I send in the one shock to get repaired and just as I put my other one on, start to ride down the street that spare ones out before i even get to jump anything! so now im out both shocks and this has happened atleast 7-8 times guys ( i cant get out and ride ) And for both to have that problem ??? c'mon heres my specs

frame: Azonic B-52.
Specs: 2.75 stroke Roco WC I installed a 500lbs TI spring have the compression two turns from hardest, rebound three turns from fastest and run it at 200psi so by the time i take the pump off its at 180psi

Bottom Line:
I Spend the Money to get or make the best, and I EXPECT it to Preform like its the best. Anybody beg to differ?

Favorite Trail:   Street , whatever I can find

Bars & Grips: Easton monkey light DH, Deity lockon classic
Headset: Red 1 1/8 Chris King
Wheels:-----front
Hub: Hope pro 2 (red)
Spoke: Double butted DT swiss (black)
Nipple: XL Primo (red)
Rim: Arrow Racing FRX 24'
Wheele:------Rear
Hub: Hadley XL 36h
Spoke: Double butted DT swiss (Chrome)
Nipple: XL Primo (red)
Rim: Arrow Racing FRX 24'
Titanium Axle and nut with carbon washers.
Tranny: Sram XO extra short, With a full Carbon arm and jocky wheels, (Nokon) red and black beads, with a hanger banger
Seat: Rouge Duo Pivotal (Black white) With stumpy post (red) Collar white carbon ti bolt
Brakes: Hope M4 levers, carbon caps, dangerboy levers, Ti fittings, Carbon lines, Avid Juicy Ultimate calipers, alligator rotors, Every bolt is Ti and spacers are all Carbon.

Submitted by Wayne a Downhiller from New Brunswick, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    suppleness over washboard surfaces, adjustability, bottom-out resistance, looks, takes big hits nicely. Great for free-ride or dh.

Weaknesses:    pedaling performance if set up on the soft side; performance over the rough stuff more than makes up for this. Don't buy for cross country purposes. The spring is also on the heavy side but I cannot find a dealer who stocks the ti spring which is supposed to be available.

Bottom Line:
Actually does what all the other shocks claim to do; It just goes over the rough stuff so nicely and will handle the big drops without drama. You can quickly adjust it for the terrain and it also looks great. I think it will be a durable shock if you are not too insane.

Favorite Trail:   woods, urban, anywhere

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   fox van r

Bike Setup:   Cannondale perp upgraded with floating brake, holzfeller crank, shimano saint brakes and hub, sram x-o, crankbros 5050xx, easton monkeylite dh bars, fsa carbonforce seatpost, mrp chainguide, etc

Submitted by mikenotion a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2008

Strengths:    2009 model... plush and buttery... definitely feels bottomless.

Weaknesses:    none so far... only had a little while though.

Bottom Line:
I always wanted to try out the roco, just never got round to it, untill now I was always riding DHX's. One thing that has really stood out since riding the roco wc is the handling on the really hard/big hits, it really does turn those drops/hucks to jelly. I always got very close to the end of the stroke with the DHX, bottoming out on the odd occasion, every big hit I landed with it felt hard and uneasy on the bike... The roco really does the do the job a lot better, its almost like it does what you should be able to expect a premim freeride/downhill shock to do...

Let's put it this way... When I rode on my first DHX5.0, I expected to do/feel like what the roco does now, only it didn't, that's the bottom line.

Definitely worth the few extra.

Purchased At:   with frame.

Similar Products Used:   DHX 5's

Bike Setup:   Knolly V-Tach, 888, '09 saint brakes/gearing, sunline stuff, mavic's, hope's and holzfeller OCT.

Submitted by mjdthunder a Downhiller from Irvine, ca, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2008

Strengths:    The sensitivity is amazing and it handles the trail stutters and chop like you would not believe! No platform so it is very plush and gives amazing control.

Weaknesses:    When shock was delivered it was damaged but I took it to Marzocchi and replaced it no questions.
Rebound knob too long so I had to take it off to fit my frame. Should be shorter like the Fox rebound knob.

Bottom Line:
I have had an 06 dhx 5.0 and an 08 dhx 5.0 and a swinger and I was always frustrated that I could never get the small bump/fast stutter bumps sensitivity that I wanted and thus I had less controll. I did not see the light until I tried the rocco wc on another bike. I cant believe how sensitive this shock is and how much better it takes the large impacts. If you want to take the fun factor to the next level and increase your speed...you will not be sorry if you pick up this shock!

Favorite Trail:   Too many

Similar Products Used:   Fox dhx 5 and manitou swinger

Bike Setup:   08 demo 8 with 888 and rocco wc.

Submitted by archeryfreak a Downhiller from San Jose

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    This shock is very buttery, soaks up everything from the big hits to the small bumps better than any other shock I have ridden on, it is easy to adjust and set up, has lots of different settings, can be rebuilt with tools at home, and feels bottomless, no platform pedal

Weaknesses:    none. I have been using this product for about a month now and have not had a single problem

Bottom Line:
This shock is perfect! It handles everything I do without a problem. Because I doesn't have the platform pedal, it is extremely buttery. I like this shock much more than the Fox Dhx 5.0 and the Manitou Metel. I felt like I was blowing through the travel to easily on those other shocks. Overall, I would not trade my 2008 Marzocchi Roco RC World Cup for any other rear shock.

Purchased At:   Trail Head Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   fox dhx 5.0, manitou metel

Bike Setup:   2006 ironhorse 7 point with the roco

Submitted by Tom Pangborn a Downhiller from A DH/FR'er from Snoqualmie WA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    Incredibly Plush. easy to dial in.

Weaknesses:    Non so far

Bottom Line:
I decided to replace the stock Swinger on my Demo after I upgraded my fork to the 888. The Roco combined with the 888 work together to produce an unbelievable ride. I have a buddy that set up his VP Free the same way and with the same opinion. If you are looking for a pure DH shock, no platform, then this is one of the best!

Favorite Trail:   Preston Railroad Grade

Similar Products Used:   Swinger 3 way.

Bike Setup:   Demo 8 with 888 on the front

Submitted by Max a Downhiller from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2007

Strengths:    Great feel, Plush, good adjustments

Weaknesses:    Rear cap for air valve can become loose and fall off

Bottom Line:
This shock felt amazing after all my other tests with the other rear shocks listed above, it felt plush and adjustments were easy to use. To this date i have not had to service or maintain the shock in any way compared to the other shock which tended to leak or just stop working or get knotches.
This shock is a dream to ride and gives a good response to both big and small bumps. rebound is responsive and fast(depending on setting). Great shock and recommend!

Favorite Trail:   Old Nats, Tits, Gummaz, Brents, Dazzers

Purchased At:   Doctor Bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 5.0 Coil and Air, 5th Element, Rock shock Vivid.

Bike Setup:   (08), Commencial Supreme DH Frame, Marzocchi Roco WC, Marzocchi 888 WC, Saint Cranks, Formular Oro brakes, Funn Viper pedals, Stock bars, grips, stem. Ringle Jumping Flea Hubs, Mavic 721 rims, X7 Derailer with XO shifter, Raceface Diablos BB with Pig DH Pro head set and E-13 Bashguard and
guide.

Submitted by Roger a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability. High-speed compression adjustment. It's red instead of blue.

Weaknesses:    None. I really tried to think of one.

Bottom Line:
Finally. A rear shock I can love. I purchased my 6.6 about a year ago and it had a DHX 5.0 Air. I was skeptical of air, but my friend said that model was good, so I tried it. It was defective new, so it took me a while to figure out it was really defective, and was still defective when I received it back from Fox. It always made a clunky noise, blew through its compression, and I kept hitting my pedals on rocks. I thought it was the bike. My other bike is an Intense SLX, and the bottom bracket is 3 inches higher and I wasn't familiar with the VPP. I had bad luck with my first fork (Fox 32 Talas 140mm) so I wanted to try a Marzocchi. I had already upgraded to the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 fork by that time. I didn't want to put the Fox Air back on my bike when it came back from Fox the second time, so I purchased a Fox DHX 5.0 Coil from Go-Ride. I liked it compared to the air. At some point it became defective. Maybe it was always defective. I'm not sure. I had replaced the suspension bearings, the bottom bracket, and the spacers and bushings, and upgraded to the new DT Swiss skewers trying to fix a loose sensation and some bottoming-out. I was so disappointed that I had actually started to disassemble my bike to sell my 6.6 frame. I did not even think of the rear shock because it was only a few months old. But I reminded myself that I live in Mountain-Bike-World, a strange land where defective parts and silly designs with weight-weenie compromises are the norm. (I work in the Hi-Tech electronics assembly business where we measure defects in parts-per-million because quality above 99.9% is difficult to quantify.) So I called Go-Ride to order another DHX 5.0 coil so I wouldn't be without my bike while my other DHX was sent to PUSH. I thought PUSH would be worth a try. But Go-Ride finally had the Marzocchi RC World Cup in stock in my size. So I ordered it overnight air freight. It was just one day after I diagnosed my rear shock that I was experiencing the potential of my Intense 6.6 for the first time. What a difference! The shock has no platform "feature". It has a high-speed compression adjustment instead. I have it adjusted for fast-compression and slowed down the rebound just enough so I don't bounce off the saddle. I increased the air pressure to max in the compensator air adjustment, which allows me to adjust the last half of the compression stroke. This is perfect to prevent bottom-outs and my pedals rarely smash into rocks anymore. It really feels bottomless. This shock is very adjustable and I notice every click. My rear suspension does exactly what it is supposed to do. It keeps the rear wheel on the ground even if the ground is a babyhead patch. I am perfectly happy with this shock. It has a sensation of floating over bumpy terrain. I am finally happy with my bike. I think this shock design with its high-speed compression and the compensator air adjustments is perfect for the VPP design. I don't want to sacrifice small-bump compliance to reduce pedal bobbing - especially when I have that feature built into my frame geometry. I plan on sending it to PUSH. Not because I am unhappy with its performance but because I want to experience what must be PUSH/Marzocchi Nirvana.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River Trail

Purchased At:   Go-Ride.com

Similar Products Used:   Progressive 5th Element, Fox DHX 5.0 Air, Fox DHX 5.0 Coil, various Fox Airs and RockShox coils.

Bike Setup:   06 Intense 6.6 with 07 160mm Marzocchi All Mountain 1 with standard dropouts, XTR pod shifters, Formula K24 disc brakes, RaceFace Turbine compact drive Isis crankset with 20-tooth granny, Hugi 240 hubs and Mavic XC717-Disc rims, DT Swiss RWS skewers, real XTR pedals.

Submitted by RideEverything from Whistler

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Strengths:    If it doesn't leak oil or lose air then it works like it should... I guess.

Weaknesses:    Blows up easily. Last year's model leaked oil and this year's model didn't want to hold air.

Bottom Line:
Marzocchi makes excellent front end suspension. They still need to figure out how to make bomb proof rear suspension. My experience over the last two summers with the Rocco have, for lack of a better word, sucked.
I kept thinking after the shocks broke that maybe because I am tall and heavy might have something to do with the performance of the shock. But then I remembered that for the years previous the Fox shocks I was running never ever had problems, ever!
The bottom line for me is I will never have Marzocchi rear suspension. I still believe that Marzocchi makes solid front suspension.

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 4 and 5

Submitted by mason a Racer from Bend, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    everything works great! super plush. i love this shock!

Bottom Line:
this shock works great for downhilling and freeriding. i love it! point is you should buy it if you want something that works great for downhilling and freeridng. it doesnt have pedaling platform wich makes it work alot better for downhill but it doesnt pedal as well.

Purchased At:   Bend Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 5.0

Bike Setup:   kona stinky, fox 40rc, roco world cup...

Submitted by josh a Downhiller from colorado springs

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2007

Strengths:    smooth and plush

Weaknesses:    rebound never worked, exploded on me on my way down to my race run in crested butte. dont no why. really put a nasty taste in my mouth. marz should stick to the front end of the bike. could not figure out why the psi needed to be at 180 to 225. small range if you ask me.

Bottom Line:
a really stinky turd. and over priced.

Purchased At:   single tracks

Submitted by nicholas poetker a Downhiller from japan

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    looks and overall ride.
its easy to overhaul and set up.

Weaknesses:    the stock eyelet bushings were very loose, and no matter how tight i tighen the bolts there was a little play.so i orderded some stock fox bushings and since then there has been no problems. i guess about 1mm makes a big differnce.
rebound was a little slow so i overhauled it with 5wt oil and then removed every other shim on the rebound side and now i have better control of the rebound and compression.

Bottom Line:
this is a very simple and great shock. it does what they say. with this set up it feels so smooth and takes everything. i had a fox dhx 5 that was realy good for everythng except biger hits. rocos high speed compression is a must for biger jumps and drops.there is no defelction of any jump just wind down the compression and fly.

the other day i sat my friends bike with a swinger 6 way and relized just how smooth the roco is. the swinger felt like somthing was stuck.even though i rode one for almost 3 years with no problems, the rocos non plat form has a very natural feel compared to a platform shock.

Favorite Trail:   nukisan

Purchased At:   adrenalinebikes

Similar Products Used:   fox dhx (bottems too easly)5th element,swinger 6 way

Bike Setup:   transtiton bottlerocket marz 66rc and roco world cup (2.25)

Submitted by Michal a Downhiller from Warsaw, Poland

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2007

Strengths:    with what we can start... Hmm flawlessss,plush, compresion and rebound easy to dail up no problem with that al all and last but not least LOOK. alsaw it will fit ALL frames not like my last DHS :)

Weaknesses:    well it is flawles easy to dail up and stuff but the only thing that is bothering me is that you have to punp it up to min. 180PSI when You get it. Unfortunatly I forgot about that and did it after my firs cruze on Roco - it started to make a very little, almost impossible to hear sound while compressing in every shafts position. Dont know yet if it is because oil went into the air chamber or Roco is just working that way

Bottom Line:
didn't have a chance to ride real DH from the time I got it but on some 4x tracks it feels great, doing drops and dirt jumping - just adjust compression and thare You have it!! bike is redy for everything with that kind of shock. I am, and always will be, a fan of non-platform shocks because of theirs plushness and great ALL kind of bumps feeling, they do have a pedal bob but with VPP on SC Free bike this efeck is minimalized. Shock is just great and you can change oil in about half an hour at home. Will post a follow up review after solving this stupid sounds problems, that doesn't effect shocks work, and after doing some serious DH.

Oh get a good Spring rate for VPFree suspension to have about inch of SAG on shock shaft maby a little more, otherwise suspension wont work as it supposed to.

Purchased At:   my friends MTB store

Similar Products Used:   Well the only thing that comes to my mind is Avy DHS... for me non other compers to Roco

Bike Setup:   VP-Free w/Roco ofcourse, 888 RC 05 w/flat lower clamp, Titec El Norte Golc components, Mavic and DT Swiss wheels, Hope M6Ti up front and Hayes9 in a back, Truvativ and shimano drive train

Would you run a Roco RC World Cup on a Butcher?

(Cross posted from suspension) Looking to upgrade my S/C butcher's rear shock as the stock float is just not cutting it. I considered sending it to PUSH, but feel like it would just be a waste to spend any money on that shock. I found a really good price on a Marzocchi Roco RC World Cup that wou ... Read More »

Marzocchi ROCO RC World Cup Rear shock

Fox Vanilla aint cuttin it for the back of my big hit. I found these, gotta buy the spring and hardwarre seperate however. 76mm of travel. anyone know anything about me?Read More »

Roco RC World Cup. Won't let me post in the Marzocchi forum.

Hi just need some general info. Just got a 7point frame with a Roco RC World Cup on it.. So as near as I can figure it out adding air changes how easily it bottoms out, the knob at the bottom changes the rebound. And compression changes the rate at which the stroke compresses.. please correct me i ... Read More »

What's better Marzocchi Roco Air RC World Cup or the TST air?

I have VPFREE running on dhx 5 coil...want to reduce weight...which one to choose? or go with dhx air? i am 85 kg.Read More »

Roco RC World Cup on 2007 S-works Enduro?

There's been a few good threads on fitting the FOX to the Enduro. I'm looking at the Marzocchi shocks. Anyone fitted that to their Enduro? I guess I'm just worried about the shock hitting stuff... THANK!!!!Read More »