Marzocchi Roco R Air Rear Shock

• Linear Air Spring
  • Fixed Negative Air

Submitted by serhij a Cross Country Rider from Gdansk, Poland

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Strengths:    cheap, reliable, plush, bottom out proof, self serviceable, no pedaling platform

Weaknesses:    no pedaling platform (yes, both good and bad), weight (80g more than Fox Float RP23)

Bottom Line:
Over 1 year of both trail and AM riding and FR abuse and everything works perfect. No statical friction, no air nor oil leaks, works so plush it's almost impossible to tell if it's an air or coil.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R, Fox Float RP23, Manitou Swinger 4way coil, 5th Element coil, Fox DHX 5.0 coil, Fox DHX 5.0 Air Marzocchi Roco TST R Coil, Marzocchi Roco Air 3PL

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX

Submitted by 2tech a Downhiller from Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2008

Strengths:    This shock is light and feels great out of the box. The only adjustment other than air pressure that it has (rebound) works well and is extremely consistent.

Weaknesses:    I had a nasty experience in whistler... on my second ride with the bike. See the bottom line.

Bottom Line:
During the summer of 2008 I have been up to whistler three times. After the first time I had decided to invest in a new bike and get rid of my scream frame that I had loved so dearly for something new, exciting, and somewhat light. I picked up a new brodie derelict from my shop and switched out everything except for the suspension, just to see how it would hold up. I took the bike up to whistler for a gnarly day of break-in and came home more than satisfied. The ride was a bit choppy but that was to be expected. What pleased me was the consistent performance of the rear end, tracking ok for a 4.5" travel bike. The second day at whistler was even better, as my ride had started to move from break-in to strait up buttery. I had been ripping it up in garbanzo for a couple of hours and before I went to pack it in I decided to do a run of crank it up, a pretty easy trail. About a quarter way down the run, I landed a jump and I heard an unnatural PANG from my rear end, and when I looked down, my rear shock was sitting firmly inthe bottom out position. At first I had thought, "oh F***" I blew my shock... but soon realized otherwise when I tried to let the air out and there was still plenty of air in it. I pumped it up again and it worked as good as new! I'm not sure how the air in the shock managed to get from the positive to the negative chamber, but it happened, and I wasn't riding very hard. I think marzocchi has a few bugs left to work out, seeing as this shock should be as reliable as the fox vanillas and floats I've played with.... none experiencing this kind of problem. For the record, I would still recommend this shock to a beginner rider or for a weight weenie, but never for another technical speed junkie like me.

Favorite Trail:   goat's gully

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Fox dhx3, dhx5, dhx5 air, vanilla rc, vanilla r...

Bike Setup:   Brodie Derelict w/ dt swiss/729 wheels, 55 ata, roco air tst (now), holzfellers, blah blah blah

Submitted by Eli a Weekend Warrior from WHOcares, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2008

Strengths:    Performs well, bottoming resistance.

Weaknesses:    Marzocchi customer service/warranty = crap. Reliability = no good. Leaks air after 10 months. Damper is dead?!?! Pedal bob.

Bottom Line:
When I bought it, it was a bargain. It kept being a good deal for about ten months. Then the dampening unit went dead (no response to rebound dial) and it lost 75/115 PSI in about 3 days. The warranty doesn't apply, they want $125 to make it right. When it was actually working, it worked well, with some stiction and some pedal bob. It had a nasty tendency to loose about 10 PSI over a day's worth of hard riding, even when it was new. The major air loss after about 10 months is acceptable, but what exactly is 125 dollars to change oil and seals?!?!? Especially when it is still under warranty. In addition, about a week ago, before it just dumped its air, I noticed that my rebound dampener just stopped working. I think something in the system went wrong, it could be anything (cracked casing, stripped nob).

I should also note my friend had the same shock, In less time than I had mine he ovalized the air chamber, blew the seals twice, and wrecked a rebound dampener (all on separate occasions.) Only his seals were covered by the warranty.

Marzocchi recently outsourced production from Italy to the Suntour plant in Taiwan.

I don't recomend this shock as a permant fix, if it was still sub- $200 it would make a decent shock to use if your regular one dies (just until you get it back.) With prices over double of the original, I would just walk away. walk away.

Favorite Trail:   Killington, VT

Purchased At:   Bikeman

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek AD 12, older Fox vanilla AVA.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Uber-V (Super V w/ modifications), AM component spec. 3:1 leverage ratio, linear spring rate, single pivot (pivot right above BB). Shock with about 110-120 PSI.

Submitted by Kirk a Weekend Warrior from San Juan Cap., CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    This is a wonderful AM/FR rear shock. I like it better than my Fox DHX 5.0 Air. It's great for someone over 200 lbs who wants a light weight air shock for trail riding. It's a very active shock with less controls than the Fox DHX Air. I highly recommend it for the price and ride. They are backordered and hard to find.

Weaknesses:    This is a wonderful AM/FR rear shock. I like it better than my Fox DHX 5.0 Air. It's great for someone over 200 lbs who wants a light weight air shock for trail riding. It's a very active shock with less controls than the Fox DHX Air. I highly recommend it for the price and ride. They are backordered and hard to find.

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful AM/FR rear shock. I like it better than my Fox DHX 5.0 Air. It's great for someone over 200 lbs who wants a light weight air shock for trail riding. It's a very active shock with less controls than the Fox DHX Air. I highly recommend it for the price and ride. They are backordered and hard to find. You can't beat it for the price!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   175

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 5.0 Air

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX, King, Marzocchi AM 1 SL, Thomson, Roco Air, WTB, Mavic

Submitted by Ken Bennett a Downhiller from Phoenix,AZ USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2007

Strengths:    Very plush, looks cool, super low price.

Weaknesses:    Rebound didn't work right out of the box. Talked to Marz. rep to make sure there wasn't some speed sensitive valving on the rebound side (only has approx. %25 available rebound compared to every other shock I've used). Played phone tag with warranty trying to get an RA for it, that took 3 weeks (!!!!!). Finally sent it in and waited,,, for 2 MONTHS!!! Finally got the shock back this week and it's exaxtly the same as when it left, crap rebound and all. I'm pretty sure this one is just a lemon since everything I've gotten from Marz. has been very good but I'm still pretty annoyed. When something doesn't work right out of the box it should just be replaced with a new one, not sent in for repair and it should definitely work right after 2 months in the repair shop.

Bottom Line:
I hope this shock is just an anomaly but no matter what I'm fairly disgusted with the whole ordeal. I'm planning to send this thing back and ask for either a new one or a refund. I put down my time used as less than a month since it's been in the box longer than it's been on the bike. The low price is the only reason I tolerated this mess for this long.

Favorite Trail:   So Mtn

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fox shocks for years, Romic

Bike Setup:   Transition Preston FR w/ 66SL and Fox DH air

Submitted by Mikey a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Strengths:    Beefy, Super plush. Like butter baby. Like butter baby. PRICE.

Weaknesses:    ahhhhhh...hhhhmmmm...

Bottom Line:
This shock is definitely not for weight watchers. For AM/FR set-up only. It's like butter baby. Love it. Just put 20-30% sag, set the rebound and you're done. No need for too much setting like other shocks. Oh yeah. Did you see the price on this bad boy. I can buy 2 rocos for the price of a blah blah blah shock.

Favorite Trail:   Demo, Santa Teresa. UCSC. Downieville

Purchased At:   Blueskycycling

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox bar, Manitou swinger 3way-coil,

Bike Setup:   05 IH Warrior, Nixon Platinum, LX/Xt drivetrain, BB7 brakes, etc....

Submitted by RacinJ from Wendell, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Strengths:    I've ridden this shock once. I am highly impressed and anticipating my next ride. I start from my house with a 3/4 mile climb up a road to Wendell St. Forest. I stood up on the climb to see what the shock would do; no bob. Once I got in the woods, my rear suspension felt more firm(in a good way) than previously with my SID Air XC. I run a Giant AC Air in the 5.15" travel setting and so far, I'm stoked about this product. I railed the Nipmuck Trail(a good downhill) and without even adjusting the shock except for pumping the air to what Marzocchi suggested, I felt like my suspension was perfectly dialed in. I'm looking forward to finding some burlier trails to try it out on, including Mt. Snow.

Weaknesses:    I wish in one of the four or five times I spoke to Marzocchi's tech support(when I was even able to get through to them) they could have told me that this shock was incompatible with my frame. I waited two more days, after waiting four months just to get the shock, for tech support to return my phone call before cutting the 4.5" travel option off of my Giant AC Air's left side rocker arm in order to allow the air valve of the Roco to fit. Luckily, a guy up the road from me has a machine shop and I will hopefully be getting custom suspension arms built in the fall. Making the air valve perpendicular to the mount would have been a good idea in desgning this shock.

Bottom Line:
I'm stoked about the performance of the shock so far but a little annoyed about the wait and not being able to get in touch with Marzocchi to ask questions when it counted. I can't blame their technicians, it just seems like it's very difficult to get an actual person to talk to most of the time. When I was able to speak with someone, they were super helpful. I paid cost, but even at $175 retail this shock is a super deal.

Favorite Trail:   Nipmuck

Purchased At:   Employee Purchase

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Sid Air Xc

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Air, Pike 454, 8 speed XTR, Avid Discs, Nevegals

Submitted by Topper-Hardy Hartwig Rohde a Weekend Warrior from Luebeck, Germany

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Super plush, feels more like a coil shock. Simple to set-up and effective rebound control. Looks great in a black Heckler. Negative air/bottom-out adjustment possible (thanks to "titusquasi").

Weaknesses:    Little bobbing. Huge air-canister might not fit in every frame (I had to mount it with the canister facing rear of the bike to fit a 2005 Heckler)

Bottom Line:
Bought the shock while I got the Vanilla RC pushed. If I would have known about the top performance before, I would have saved the money for pushing the Vanilla.
The Roco can not compete with the pushed Vanilla with regard to the overall perfomance and bobbing, but it performs much better than the regular Vanilla did.
I am using the bike mostly for trailriding and tours in the Alps and found the Roco to be the perfect match.
Thanks to "titusquasi" I am even able to adjust negative air/bottom out of the shock (see thread in let's talk about shocks).

Purchased At:   Alfred E Bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla RC & Pushed Vanilla RC

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler 2005 model, Marzocchi All Mountain 2 ETA, Mix of Shimano XT and XTR, DT 6.1 Rims

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    Unbelievably smooth. lighter than a coil, with the same feel. simple setup. Much lower air pressures than typical air shocks, so it should hold air better, and be more reliable.

Weaknesses:    None, and don't expect any.

Bottom Line:
I, like I'm sure many people have, had to wait a while to get this shock. After one ride on this shock, I was simply amazed! It was worth the wait, This shock feels way better than my Vanilla coil. Whats truly amazing is how good this shock is without any propedal, motion control, or SPV. It is an active shock, but thats what makes it erase the terrain so well. I also found out that the negative air spring is not fixed, but adjustable. Its a pretty trick little adjustment that uses the collar on the outside of the shock to manipulate the positive and negative air chambers. This shock performs like any other Product from Marz, smooth as butta. Just as the reviewer below said, this shock will change your bike. Anyone who has an older air shock on their bike, would benefit from putting one of these on. The only other ( that I now of )high volume low pressure shock like this one is the Rock shox Pearl, which I've heard is also great, but costs almost twice as much.

Favorite Trail:   any