Marzocchi Roco Air TST R Rear Shock

4.36/5 (14 Reviews)

ROCO AirTST R Marzocchi ROCO AirTST R Rear Shocks feature external bottom out resistance, rebound andTST (Terrain SelectionTechnology) adjustability. Nickel-coated air canister, adjustable air spring, high volume air chamber for linear spring rate Carbon fiber-reinforced air canister Ext. adjustableTrail SelectionTechnology (TST) has five compression settings for on-the-fly adjustment Ext. adjustable Rebound Ext. adjustable bottom-out resistance piggyback via air valve Designed for a

Submitted by m0ngy a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2012

Strengths:    It's a Marzocchi, super plush, bottomless feel, true high volume (HV) air chambers, tough, durable, user serviceable, lots of adjustability, usable lockout for climbing.

Weaknesses:    Maybe heavy for an air can (it's pretty big), and it takes a bit to dial-in.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2011 model, and it's a brilliant shock. My first air shock, and I love it. I built-up a VP-Free, and wasn't sure which air shock to go for. I'm about 110kg, and being of the oldschool, I've always considered coil shocks the way to go, especially for bigger guys. My bike mechanic suggested a big air can, but I was sceptical. Anyway, I got a Roco TST Air, and a Roco WC coil, in case the air shocks sucked. From the very beginning, I've been blown away by the super smooth ride, it's a great shock coupled with the VPP design. With a bit of time and patience you can dial this shock perfectly, the adjustments work really well, offering a wide degree of tunability. The Roco TST air is so much more adjustable than any coil shock I've used before, especially for a heavy rider. The lockout is perfect, allows just enough give so as not to stress the seals too much, but still feels very ridged, like you're riding a hardtail. Needless to say, I'll be selling my WC coil as I can't see any use for it now, the TST Air is everything I'll ever need from a rear shock.

Favorite Trail:   Chambers Gully

Purchased At:   BlueSkyCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   5th Element, DHX 5.0, Curnutt (all coil)

Bike Setup:   VP-Free, 66 Evo Ti, Saint, X.0, etc

Submitted by zippin a All Mountain Rider from Lufkin, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    -Large Air Canister gives a very linear feel
-Extremely smooth stroke
-Bottom Out Resistance
-TST Adjustment

Weaknesses:    The only thing that can even come close to being a weakness is the small hard to reach rebound adjuster but a small flat head solves that problem.

Bottom Line:
My Heckler came with a Fox RP23 on it. When I first got it I thought that is was the best air shock that I had ever felt, but was still no coil shock. I wanted to swap to a coil right off but money held me back. So I ran the RP23 for a year, only to blow a seal on the compression circuit and loose all dampening. At this point I had a race in two weeks and needed something fast. Luckily my friend had a Rockshox Monarch 4.2 laying around. I threw that on and was initially very impressed with the feel, but quickly came to the conclusion that the tune was all wrong for my suspension as I couldn't stop from bottoming it out. At this point I turned to Marzocchi which is my brand of choice for up front. After talking to Bobby at Marzocchi I decided to give the air shock one more chance and got a great deal on the Roco AIR TST R.

A few days later it arrives at the front door and the first thing I notice is its massive size. This shock makes every other air shock I have seen look like a little toy and most coils also. So I mounted it up and set the main air pressure to the suggested pressure of 135psi and the bottom out to 175psi. Jumped on and thought it was horrible feeling. Checked my sag and I was way off(about half). Let some air out(ended up at 95psi, and with gear I weigh in at 185lbs) tuned the rebound and my bike was transformed into a monster. Set the TST to the DH setting and when off several drops(3-5 feet tall) to a sprint across some choppy homemade trail and was completely blown away. My 6 inch travel Heckler felt like it had a bottomless pit of travel and made the choppy trail feel paved. I couldn't believe it. So I loaded up the bike and headed to the trails. Set the TST to the trail setting and found a good pedaling platform(not quite as good as the RP23) and an excellent small bump compliance(much better than the RP23). When I got to the roots this shock just laughed and told me to go faster and bigger. So I did and never once bottomed out and had the biggest smile on my face that 3 months later I still can't get rid off. Then it was time for a long climb, flip the TST to the lock out and it climbed like that trusty hardtail you have in your garage.

Needless to say this is the best shock I have ever owned. If you are an aggressive rider, riding anything from trail, allmountain or DH this shock will blow you away and take you to new levels in your riding.

p.s. This shock is also great for the bigger guys that want a full suspension bike. My friend(weighs in at 350lbs) got one for his vpfree and set the air pressure to 270psi (300psi max) and hit the correct sag on the money and absolutely love its.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park, Waco Tx

Purchased At:   Marzocchi

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP23, ROCKSHOX MONARCH 4.2

Bike Setup:   2011 Santa Cruz Heckler, Marzocchi Roco AIR TST R, Marzocchi 44 RC3 140MM, Hayes Purple brakes, Sram X.9 drivetrain, Hadley hubs with Halo Freedom rims.

Submitted by epicjurneez a Weekend Warrior from San Juan, CA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2011

Strengths:    Big air canister. Plush like a coil in ds mode(almost). Super active. Makes my el guapo feel like what I hoped it to feel like. Makes me want to never buy a fox product again.

Weaknesses:    Marzocchi gets poor reviews and made me hesitant to buy it. I shouldve bought it a long time ago.

If you purchase through leeworld don't expect original packaging, decals, manual, etc. I got my shock exactly a week after paying this guy via paypal.

Bottom Line:
Feels great right out of the box. It's just a hunch going off the feel of the guapos suspension leverage curve and a lot of input form el guapo riders with coil rears that a big air can shock would be ideal. Perhaps even better than a ccdb.

I had a fx rp23hv that came with the frame and it was supposed to be a high volume "Hv" can. Hold it next to the roco and it looks like a toothpick. The roco looks beautiful and rides just as well. Before, my bike felt like a stiff 3 inch bike, and now it feels like the 6in dh capable bike I bought it for in the first place. It's only been a couple rides. I'll post a follow up later for a more long term review. I was initially freaked out by the schraeder valve in the small chamber letting out all the air as I unscrewed my schorl pump. As I kept pumping it, it began to seal shut. Fhwww.

I'm 220 geared up and I'm running appx 140lb in the big chamber along w the standard 180 in the small and it feels just about dialed for me. The tst feels ok. I prefer to keep it in the plush mode.

This is a 2008 model. I'm not sure if detents are supposed to click or not but I clearly feel the effects of the tst and rebound. It's soo plush!

If you're worried about the reviews, don't hesitate like I did. Just get one. I now know what I've been missing out on and regret not getting it sooner!

Favorite Trail:   Local hills

Purchased At:   Cycle4sport.com

Similar Products Used:   Fox....Crap! Ok, maybe only their air susp. I've had various float r, rp23hv, rp... They all failed to feel anything like quality susp.

Bike Setup:   El guapo 2009 silver w/ roco air tst r , z1 fr 150mm fork. Front and rear feel custom matched for eachother. The roco looks so bad a$$ with this setup.

Submitted by In2falling a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert AZ

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Strengths:    Lighter than my Fox DHX 5 coil.

Weaknesses:    Failed after one ride around the block, next day all the air is gone and not hold air for longer than 15 minutes.

Bottom Line:
Wow, both my new 55 RV fork and Roco Air are bad out of the box. The 55 RV fork has no rebound think the rebound cartridge is bad, and the Roco is leaking air.
Now have to strip everything and send it in :(!! Should have spent the extra $$ and bought Fox!!

Favorite Trail:   Mormon

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   VP-Free

Submitted by socalrider46 a Weekend Warrior from castaic, ca, USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth throughout travel out of box easy to set up extremely adjustable.

Bottom Line:
Great shock for all mountain riding. 5 position TST easy to use and can be adjusted on the fly between any setting unlike the fox shock. piggy back makes for a smooth ramp up to prevent bottom out. large air canister allows for lower air pressure and a smoother overall feel to the suspension.

Favorite Trail:   mcGill trail

Purchased At:   marzzochi

Similar Products Used:   fox rp23, fox dhx 5.0, rock shock bar 2.2

Bike Setup:   yeti 575

Submitted by cmax151 a Downhiller from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    Very plush shock. It is great for riders that weigh a little more. I weigh 250lbs. and it supports me better than my Fox DHX 5 air shock did. Rebound control is super responsive and the TST switch has a noticeable affect on the efficiency of the pedaling.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have any

Bottom Line:
I would highly recommend this shock to someone else. Especially if it was a larger rider that didn't want the added weight of a coilover shock. The valving can handle everything you throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   F.I.N.S.

Purchased At:   Marzocchi

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 5.0 AIR

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign X with Hope tech m-4 brakes, Fox 36 Foat fork, sunline bars, Mavic EX823 rims laced to Chris King hubs, XT cranks and cassette with Sram X-9 shifters and rear deraiuler.

Submitted by jsoates a Weekend Warrior from Nelson B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2008

Strengths:    Very plush and fully adjustable. This shock works and becomes invisible when riding the bike. Very easy to setup and holds it's pressures. I couldn't imagine a better feeling shock on my Knolly!

Weaknesses:    Nickel finish is coming off the air sleeve. It has a slight clunk when the TST is set at the max(5). It is going back for service for the second time this season.

Bottom Line:
I wish Marzocchi could get a handle on their quality control because they have a great product when it is working!

Favorite Trail:   The Wimp

Purchased At:   Came on Knolly

Similar Products Used:   5th Element coil, Fox DHX 3&5 coil

Bike Setup:   Knolly Delerium T, Marzocchi 66ATA, All Shimano XT.

Submitted by kirby85 a Downhiller from Leeds, UK

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Very Plush, nice and light, good adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Knobs a bit difficult to use

Bottom Line:
Felt super nice throughout the travel. especially good over small hits maybe due to the lower pressures you can run in the main chamber. It saged nicely and progrssed well to prevent bottom out. terrain adjustment is a great feature especially for someone without uplift access!

Similar Products Used:   Fox dhx 3 and 5.

Bike Setup:   Stinky Whistler garbanzo guide 66

Submitted by niko a Downhiller from japan

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2008

Strengths:    looks good, its easy to adjust for and trail or jump.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i wanted th wc air for this bike but they only make the tst in this size. i wanted the wc for its high speed comrpession. but after riding the tst i realized this is a great shock. it doesnt bottom out and the tst is great for climbing or for a rythem jump section. so far this is the best shock i have ever tried. the coil roco is of course great but it took me buying four spring to get the right firmness. however the is an air so you can adjust it with no worries.

Favorite Trail:   the raputa farm jumps

Purchased At:   adrenilne bikes

Similar Products Used:   roco r air, roco wc coil, and alot more.

Bike Setup:   transition dirtbag, 66 rc3 coil.

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    smooth, bottomless travel.

Weaknesses:    non-yet, yes you have to check the air in the shock, but you are supposed to do that on all air shocks.

Bottom Line:
This shock feels really nice on bikes that don't need a platform shock. Can't comment on other setups.

After running DHX-Air on my previous bike (Nomad) and never finding the happy medium between too soft and no small bump compliance, I can happily say the Roco TST Air delivers.

First off the main air pressure runs much lower than the DHX-A but still feels better throughout the stroke. I needed to run 215-220 psi on my DHX, I started at 150psi on the Roco. After a couple of rides and rechecking the sag I dropped it down to just under 125psi in the main and about 175psi in the piggyback. I don't bottom out the shock it feels smoooth, ramps up very controlled, and yet feels lively.

The TST adjustment allows for almost hardtail like climbing, if needed or desired, then flip the switch to open and full out plushness on the decents

I have only run this for a handfull of rides but am impressed more and more with each ride. The last two runs I did were so smooth, it was hard to believe I was flying down a north shore trial.

I will update once I have more time on the shock, but for now I give it full marks.

Similar Products Used:   DHX-A, DHX-C, RP3, Swinger 4-Way Air/Coil

Bike Setup:   6Point with 66RC2X, built for the shore

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    Super plush
Light weight
TST adjustment allows you to lock out the shock for climbing.

Weaknesses:    Does not hold air.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this shock 2/26/2008 and it failed in less than 30 days. I had ridden it on one ride for less than 2 hours and it already does not hold air in the main chamber. After using a Fox DHX air and coil shock for the last couple of years with no issues I can't believe Marzocchi cannot make a reliable product.

Lowest rating for both. There is no excuse for this lack of quality control in a high end shock.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 5.0 coil and air.
Romic Double D
Progressive 5th element

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz VP Free
Boxxer WC

Submitted by SENNABLAZE a Downhiller from BEL-AIR

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2008

Strengths:    This shock feels like a coil but races like a bat outa hell...:0 The best air shock made.I race at FONTANA and you need a light bike that shredds,my tool to the bottom first..BUY IT !

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I race at 190 lbs and only use the last two positions of the shock,i don't need the softer two position and the air pressure low...a GREAT SHOCK !

Bike Setup:   Eight inch travel IRONHORSE 34 lbs.

Submitted by Todd O a Weekend Warrior from Port Alberni, B.C, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    Simple and effective adjustments. 5 settings for the compression from wide open to closed or as indicated on the shock going down and going up. Rebound works well and has a useable range. Bottom out adjust via the piggy back air pressure. Air chamber is large enough to give a very smooth stroke and is close to a coil feel. The valving in the shock is really effective over a range of bumps, really good in the chatter and roots. The shock has no platform to speak of and does not need it on a vpp style linkage or a Horst link design. I do not know about single pivot designs or so called Faux-bar designs. The shock settles down in its sag and waits for input from the rear wheel. Plush and effective, what you expect from the Italian out fit. It is sexy to boot, chicks dig it and want you because you have it.

Weaknesses:    It is not a light Air Shock. XC weight watchers will want a jenny Craig session or two for the well fed Italian. Having said that it is no fatty either, just not stripper thin. The main air valve seems a little exposed as compared to other companies, fox for example has their air valve protected by the buldge of the main chamber. This has not been or caused an issue but it could or not.

Bottom Line:
This is a great up grade if you have a older smaller chamber air shock and are looking to improve the quality of your suspension.
This should be your first choice if you are building a Mountain bike. (My Friends and I stopped with the category hype, there is no free-ride, dh, xc, all-mountain or enduro it's just mountain biking on a given day you may do more of one then the other.)
If you have a 5th element, 6 way or even a DHX platform shock and are looking for a lighter and more responsive option, this is for you.
The Rocco TST Air is a great option for a person that has "the one" bike. As in this is my bike it is the only one I have and that is the mountain I will ride it on. The TST function is a great option for quick useful adjustments. 1. CL for climbing and on the road 3. Middle position for general trail riding, 5. DH for well dh, or just cause you want plush. It's not coil plush, but It is really close and I do mean close. Close enough that it is worth saving a pound or so from a coil shock to use this. As I said earlier this is not a super light shock but it is a super working shock and that is where my priorities are.
It is has only been a month and I have been smitten by this Italian beauty so I will give it time to see if is still as great and not just new gear love, but I really think this is a winner.

Favorite Trail:   Scorpa & the Lake + Two sheiks and a dog