Manitou Radium R Rear Shock

3.75/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 260 grams

The all-new Radium line of air shocks is designed with performance, durability, weight, and cost in mind. Based on the same overall structure as our high end Swinger air shocks, The Radium R introduce Platform Plus Damping, a more cost effective alternative to SPV that offers platform damping for improved efficiency and bump control.

Submitted by dahockeyplyr a Weekend Warrior from milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth, great rebound.

Bottom Line:
Feels great, real smooth. I've used many different fox shocks and I feel that this one is a better shock for a cheaper price.

Similar Products Used:   Many types of fox and rock shocks.

Submitted by VERTIGO2 a Weekend Warrior from Simi Valley, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    Great damping, rebound adjuster actually works, light, reliable, pedaling platform works as advertised without being obnoxious.

Weaknesses:    No longer available.

Bottom Line:
Awesome shock. It has given me faithful service for many years. Neither my 220 pound fatty fat body nor my abusive teenage son could destroy this thing.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Cane Creek.

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale Prophet with stuff on it.

Submitted by freerider33 a Downhiller from Kodak,TN-USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight.Works.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Worked great on the Cannondale Prophit.I weigh 200# & had 150psi of air in the shock. The Prophit was too small so i'm selling that frame.
I put the RadiumR shock on a large Haro Extreme X.1 frame & it works the same being a single pivot.It's pretty plush & the rebound works.
What i do like about an air shock is it's so lightweight.Although i wouldn't feel comfortable doing any kind of drops or anything in fear of blowing it up.Anything more than normal xc & trail riding i would get a Fox-RC coil,Swinger coil or similiar.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar mountain downhill

Purchased At:   Came off Cannondale

Similar Products Used:   None.Always been coil shocks.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophit & Haro Extreme X.1

Submitted by ueda_sheffwa a Weekend Warrior from logan, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Super tough shock... SPV works better than fox's propedal... after 5 years and tons of abuse it still works nearly as good.. rebound seems to have slowed down a little. Servicing it might fix that though.

Weaknesses:    No compression control... Bottoms out easy.. made more for xc riding and you have to pump up the shock a ton to make it ride able bigger drops or jumps

Bottom Line:
I felt compelled to write this after reading the reviews. I never really thought highly of this shock until I got my replacement rp2... first ride on the rp2 it got stuck down in its travel now I'm sending it back for a rebuild although I don't think it would really make it that much better. Now the Radium is back on and I'm having fun. I really do think this pedals better than a fox float r. I'd give it 5 for overall if it didn't bottom out so harshly

Favorite Trail:   Jardine Juniper

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox bar. Fox float r, float rl, float rp2, vanilla r, 5th element coil. Marz Roco WC

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale Prophet w/ manitou nixon comp in front and fox rp2 in back

Submitted by sergiotrindade a Cross Country Rider from São Paulo, SP, Brazil

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    It is Simple, Smooth, inexpensive and Holds air pressure for a long time.

Weaknesses:    The rebound setting does not work at all. The calibration chart does not seem suitable for most trails.

Bottom Line:
It is a very inexpensive shox. Even so it really works on xc trails. Forget what the first guy written below on this review.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Came with the frame

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R

Submitted by Cory5129 a Cross Country Rider from Logandale, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    Simple and durable. Holds air.

Weaknesses:    Stiff Ride. Rebound control doesn't seem to make any difference no matter where it's set. Not plush at all and travel isn't smooth.

Bottom Line:
I upped the size of my Prophet frame and this shock came with the new frame. My old frame came with a Fox Float R. I wasn't impressed with this shock compaired to the Float R. If It comes with the bike and you don't want to upgrade right away, I'd use the Radium R until it needs replacement, but wouldn't buy it aftermarket.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R

Bike Setup:   2008 Cannondale Prophet

Submitted by specopsteam a Weekend Warrior from Vincennes IN

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    This product is very very simple. two inputs once for the air and the other for rebound control

Weaknesses:    Very stiff ride on all settings. Bottoms out very easy

Bottom Line:
This shock was a mix up and wasnt suppose to be on my bike but while im waiting for my new DHX 5.0 ive done some riding with this shock. This shock is very simple and would best suit someone whose doing XC. Very stiff ride bottoms out easy and is not plush at all. Ive messed with the one setting there is and am not able to get any better ride from it. If you will be doing anything more then riding well groomed trails stay away from this shock. It does not handle well in turns multi humps or large drops(not that i though it would but being the dumb a** i am i wanted to try anyways). There is no High or Low speed compression on this shock and the rebound tends to through you on full compression.

Purchased At:   Came on my Cannondal

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet

Submitted by Jimmy Khan a Weekend Warrior from Herndon, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2008

Strengths:    Holds air 8 months and air was at the right pressure
Easy to adjust

Bottom Line:
It's simple - is that good or bad? In my book it's great. Im not a pro, I like to ride about 50-60 times for about a 2 hours every summer when the weather is good and the less maintenance I have to do the better!

It' dampening is great - and adjustable!

Just set it and forget it!

Favorite Trail:   Difficult Run/Fountainhead

Purchased At:   Gary Fisher Cake 3

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Cake 3 with a F100 RL Fox fork and some Avid BB7s

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2007

Strengths:    The Raduim R works very nicely on xc trails and it is very easy to adjust the pressure and rebound.

Weaknesses:    I wish it would have a quicker rebound setting

Bottom Line:
The Radium R is a great value air shock. Is soaks up bumps nicely and would be great for a cross-country rider on a budget. With this shock, xc riders don't even need to stand on their pedals while riding over rocks, or descending down bumpy hills.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Strengths:    Product came on Haro Sonix VL120. Easy to tune and literally floats over roots, bumps on trails. No pedal bobbing at all combined with VLS system. Makes bike feel very snappy and crisp, more efficient like a Hardtail, feels great climbing, descending yet Handles rough terrain with a sense of plushness, excellent feel for the rider though the frame geometry has a lot to do with it's performance on the Sonix VL120.

Weaknesses:    Can't find any to mention

Bottom Line:
This is my first air shock, it is literally like a magic carpet ride compared to the FD coil and other coil shocks used on other bikes.Amazing but still maintains a sense of rigidity that is lost on coil shocks when set to a softer setting for more comfort. Only time will tell how long it holds up though, so far seems to hold air for several weeks after several 3 hour rides. 60-70% air to your body weight and it's close. I weigh 175 and 105 pounds of air pressure is about right for me.

Purchased At:   Sun & SKI

Similar Products Used:   none yet

Bike Setup:   2006 Haro Sonix VL120 stock Manitou Black comp forks, Manitou Radium R shock, SRAM X7 components wtb EXIWolf tires.

Submitted by Bret Bernard a Racer from Las Cruces

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Strengths:    Simple, Light, Very good Damping for what it costs. Very reliable.

Weaknesses:    Like the reviewer below, the rebound does not dial in to be quick enough. Too slow.

Bottom Line:
Until Manitou came out with this shock, all I ever used was Fox. Fox Shox Sux!!! They make great forks, but Manitou damping is far superior. Even this, their cheapest shock, is better that Fox's best. Read the other reviews. Except for the 1st guy who gave up because he didn't have enough brains to check the schrader valve insert.

Favorite Trail:   I love mnt. biking

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Swinger & S-Type SPV, Many Fox Shox

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet

Submitted by Chet a Cross Country Rider from Northern CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth travel, set it and forget it.

Bottom Line:
I have chosen this shock over the Swinger-3-Way due to its simplicity. This shock does not have all the bells and whistles of some of the higher end models, but that simply means there is less to fail, less mechanical parts to wear out/break ect. Once you set the PSI right, and set the rebound for your style, you will never have to touch it again!
I refer the shock to the old Chevy Powerglide transmissions, only 2 gears, but they are bullet-proof. Which is why the manufacturer stopped making them. Now they are popular among stock car racers, because they can take such a beating.
The same is true here, I enjoy riding my bike rather than working on it.

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Fox Floats etc... Swinger 3way...

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet full XT, XTR crank.

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Misissauga, Onatrio, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    -Absorbs bumps well.
-It's able to handle alot of drops.
-There's no pedal bob at the right settings.
-Makes funny noises. :)

Weaknesses:    -Bottoms out fairly easy
-Doesn't hold air?(my bro might have tampered with it..he's an idiot)

Bottom Line:
The shock came with the frame on ebay, which came to like $280usd or so, and and with the first test ride i was pleased. No problems. Handled drops well as well as bumps and didn't need to be fiddled around with.
Before the next ride i went to the bike shop to get more air in it because it bottomed out fairly easy. Turns out it was holding the right amount of air pressure. After the ride, I put it in my room and let it take it's daily nap. The next day i go to ride it and the shock is underfilled. Either my bro did something (likely) or it just can't hold air. BUT considering it got shipped from florida to ontario, was held for 14 days, and was tested another 14 days later...I might reconsider.

OVERALL:
-This shock has been great so far and seems to have tricked me about holding it's air. I'm sure it does...just had a bad day:)
-I'd recomend it to people who do trails and nothing too harsh, otherwise look into a swinger.
-For the price, its a fairly good deal, but keep looking around.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Specialized Hardrock Sport, Norco Sasquatch

Bike Setup:   Raleigh ram 3.0 frame with Avid bb5's, Marzocchi Dirt Jam Comps, mx22 Alexrims, yada yada yada...Custom.

Submitted by Yannick . a Weekend Warrior from toronto ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, great rebound adjustment, good platform

Weaknesses:    just a nitpick but the platform release is a bit harsh

Bottom Line:
This shock came stock on my "entry level All mountain" prophet and I thought it would be the first thing that needed to be tossed. Not so. I set the thing up with about 25% sag and 110 psi and havn't looked back since. I'm sure there is lots out there with better high speed compression and all that but this damn thing wont die. I only weigh 165 but Im droppin this thing 4+ feet regular, climging and stunting.It just keeps on going and In my humble opinion a bit less bells and whistles is a fair tradeoff for not having to walk your broke ass shock home. Value take this one up to 5 flamers.

Favorite Trail:   upper oilcan