Manitou Radium Expert Rear Shock

• Damper Shaft Material: 10mm Aluminium
  • Bushings: Steel/Teflon

Submitted by thomllama a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2013

Strengths:    reasonably light, MUCH more reasonably priced, easy, works

Weaknesses:    rebound Adjustment knob hard to get at

Bottom Line:
I've gone thro a few different shocks, mostly Rock Shox (multiple monarchs, RT versions, a Fox something, and a Risse Racing Astro) and found them all to be WAY overly stiff (except the Risse, it's nice other than weather issues). If you set the air pressure low enough to get a 1/2 way decent small bump ride the thing bottoms out on anything over a few inches.

I had a Raduim years ago on my old K2 and it was about the best "ride" bike I've ever been on. So after getting tired of the constant adjustments needed to the Risse with weather flux I decided to try a Radium again... I am SOOO glad I did! great small bump and yet it never "feels" like it's bottoming out (thou it does get there by the o-ring) Just don't get that SLAM the others had when on top and can actually use it through the trail and all it's different bumps and drops.

there is a small amount of pedal bob but you're going to have it if you want TRUE small bump compliance.

it sits in the $180-200 price range but you can often find sales in the 160ish range

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point Long Island, Rock Neck CT

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox RT, Monarch 3.1 and 4.?, Fox something (think it was an RT2 but not sure) Risse Racing Astro

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Canzo 29er, Manitou tower 100mm fork, Radium shock

Anyone using one of these: Manitou Minute Pro / Manitou Radium Expert? (2012-13)

Hi guys, I couldn't find much reviews or comments on newer Manitou stuff. I'm currently interested in those for my new (budget) build: Fork: Manitou Minute Pro 140mm Shock: Manitou Radium Expert 190/50 I read some good things about those on the (very) few posts I found here and the price is damn ... Read More »