Manitou Metel RP Rear Shock

3.04/5 (24 Reviews)
Weight : 500 grams

With Metel, we’ve set out to prove that freeride and downhill components don’t have to be stripped of features or lacking durability to be affordable. Metels use the same oversized body and steel damper shaft as on our Swinger coil shocks. Building on that solid foundation of durability we’ve added the performance and adjustability of our new Platform Plus damping system.

Submitted by DH.FR.0ne a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Good value, effective rebound adjust, smooth damping for a low-end shock, fairly light for its size, reliable

Weaknesses:    my platform plus adjust was faulty from new

Bottom Line:
This shock is a real treat for the price. I got mine for £23 new!
It rides and feels similar to a Fox VanR but, in my oppinion, the metels rebound adjust is more effective and it feels smoother through its travel.
Ive used mine for a few months riding long distance to my downhill trails- it doesnt bob too much when climbing. On the trails it somewhat lacks any small bump correspondance but takes the medium to large hits well.
My only downside is that my platform adjuster never worked. If I turn it either way it starts to let oil out, so I just leave it alone. But I probably just got a dog.
On the whole the metel is easily in the same class as the more expensive Fox Vanilla shocks. For the price you cant go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Gawton HSD

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.

Similar Products Used:   Fox VanRC, VanR & DHX 5.0, Rockshox vivid, kindshock ks290---> lol

Bike Setup:   Saracen Raw2, 888 RC, Metel RP, sram X4, truvative ruktion, WTB speedisc DH, FSA orbit

Submitted by Turkeyfrankfurter7-11 a Racer from Paradise, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    the platform adjustment was nice for climbin hills, then when i knew i was gonna bomb a downhill i could crank it down and bomb it. it was cool while it lasted.

Weaknesses:    This is my second shock i've blown. The first time happened right at my 1 year warranty w/ the shock. they warrantied it, gave me a new one. unfortunately you can't do it twice. about another year later, the second one i had blew out.

Bottom Line:
ride it till it blows

Favorite Trail:   rebel trail

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   devinci jalapeno

Submitted by kyledh a Downhiller from Pueblo CO

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    not bad for jumping

Weaknesses:    cant stutter bumps out at all. I blew 2 of these shocks out and broke the shaft in both

Bottom Line:
do not reccimend to buy. easy to break, and bad dampening

Favorite Trail:   Money

Similar Products Used:   dhx, swinger

Bike Setup:   with a dhx right now

Submitted by DaIsh a Weekend Warrior from So Cal

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, keeps working, platform adjust, rebound, compression

Weaknesses:    not sure if it has any since it was designed for the bike

Bottom Line:
The thing functions and has been very durable. It doesn't fail. It looks good and nice anodized control knobs. Manitou designed this just for OEM sales, so they did not have to spend $$$ marketing it. It is a quality product.

Favorite Trail:   SART

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Rockshok, xfusion

Bike Setup:   Came on the Black Diamond Single

Submitted by bigpedaler a Cross Country Rider from NE Indiana

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, simple, reliable

Weaknesses:    few adjustments make tuning problematic

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy, 235+, and I need something sturdy; also, since this is my "everybike" -- I don't own a car -- I need reliable. I get it with this shock! The Swinger 3 was good...while it lasted, which wasn't long, about 8 months. No factory support for a seal kit, so I threw that bi+ch away. Ran a cheap generic for a loooong time til I found this one. Works perfectly for me, with minimal preload and compression. It moves when I hit a bump, it stays put when pedaling. It LOOKS like it weighs about 20 pounds, but it's light for its size. This shock may even outlive the frame!

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction onlin

Similar Products Used:   Swinger 3, generics

Bike Setup:   Dakar XLT, Nixon, Race Face, Avid, X.9, 819's

Submitted by Messy a Downhiller from London

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    Really cheap. Seems solidly built. Simplicity.

Weaknesses:    Overdamped (seems to be way too much compression). Poor range of rebound adjustment (does not go fast enough)

Bottom Line:
This shock seems pretty good as a budget product, which, after all, it is. You cant expect a shock that costs this little to work like a roco or fox dhx.

On the plus side, the shock is really simple. Only preload, rebound, and platform plus valve. This makes it pretty easy to set up, but once you get it there its never quite perfect. For a start, in compression the shock seems to have way too much damping. This makes the back of the bike feel really numb and dead. I think this is due to the cheap platform system installed on the shock. It resists pedalling really well, but at the sacrifice of small bump response. This is okay for big hits, where the shock copes admirably, but on rooty, technical sections, the back of the bike bounces everywhere. Its just nowhere near sensitive enough. Having tried a fox dhx 3.0, the fox does seem to be far more active. The back of the bike really feels like its working. Also, although there is rebound adjustment, even with this fully open it seems slow. This again adds to the 'dead' feel you get from this shock.

However, its harsh to complain about this shock considering the price. Its really strong (uses the same steel body as the swinger) and seems solidly built ( no leeks ). just try not to mess about with the shock pressure and it should be reliable.

Anyway I will soon be upgrading to the fox dhx, as it seems a shame to have a DW link 7 inch bike and for it to have such a cheap shock. But overall, as an entry level product, I think it ticks all the boxes required.

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 3.0

Bike Setup:   2006 Iron horse 7point3. Rockshox domain 318 forks. Saints.. etc...

Submitted by e b roy a Downhiller from northeast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2008

Strengths:    none whatsoever

Weaknesses:    everything rebound is too slow even when its wide open
stp has so much of a platform the shock barely moves over bumps

Bottom Line:
its a giant doo doo. my 888 fork makes my wheel stick to the ground around corners while the metel makes my wheel slide out because of the outragous amounts of compression dampining and the slow rebound it makes my 8" travel bike feel like a hardtail because it buckes and skipps over rocks its a pile of S***

Favorite Trail:   green demon (i DH on it)

Similar Products Used:   fox 3.0 progressive 5th

Bike Setup:   faith 3 with 888rc soon getting roco because it has no platform

Submitted by nicholas poetker a Weekend Warrior from japan

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2008

Strengths:    this is a great shock. the adjustments work great and its fully tuniable to you how you like it.

Weaknesses:    none so far. i only wish that the compression was high and low instead of just low,but it still works good.

Bottom Line:
this thing is great because i took it apart and added a nice shim stack of about 15 all together.there were only three to begin with. so now its ok for big hits and my big butt. i also upped the oil rate to a 10w oil. and the best part is that i took an old 5th`s voulum adjuster because its the same size and screwed it on. now i can pump it up at high voulum about 200 psi and change the bottom out control. if you have a old 5th or swinger you too can do the same. and for the double it great for drops or trail riding because its a bit plusher than a air shock in the begining stroke.

Favorite Trail:   fast flowy steep with drops and jumps

Purchased At:   click bikes in japan

Similar Products Used:   alot

Bike Setup:   transition double with a 55 ata and a roco air or this shock meta rp.

Submitted by Noah a Cross Country Rider from Salem, OR

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2008

Strengths:    Price, simplicity

Weaknesses:    loooooooong break in/ dial in time. Limited adjustment

Bottom Line:
Great Bargain, came on a bike I bought and for some reason I just couldn't get rid of it. It is a really nice shock once you get it all perfect it rides pretty sweet, low maintenance due to the pre-charged nitrogen. (To all the retards who gave it one star because it "bottoms out", shocks don't bottom out, springs do, read your manual!!, its a large valve shock, it needs AT LEAST a 650lb spring which a 20 bucks from manitou)

Similar Products Used:   Roco, DHX 3.0, Cane Creek Double Barrel

Bike Setup:   Transition Dirt Bag, Totem Solo Air, Full Saint

Submitted by Derek a Downhiller from Fruita, Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    feels nice, I have yet to bottom it out

Weaknesses:    I ve heard bad things about this shock, like it blows easily, and it is very hard to adjust.

Bottom Line:
This shock feels good, but when i pop up a ledge, it makes a sound like air moving around or blowing or something. what does that mean????? is it blown, or is that normal? If you know, please e-mail me at fo-xo33@hotmail.com Thanks, I appreciate it!

Favorite Trail:   Hazard County (in Moab)

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla R

Bike Setup:   Brodie Diablo

Submitted by shariq Merchant a Downhiller from South Africa

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2007

Strengths:    BIG HITS !!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    ALMOST EVERYTHING no small bump absorbtion AT ALL lack of adjustments

Bottom Line:
IF YOU RIDE DROPS IT IS O.K. do not ever buy Manitou shox, maybe just maybe a revox if desprite. i will recomend a FOX 5.0 air or coil.

Favorite Trail:   mamoth

Purchased At:   bike Empire

Similar Products Used:   fOX 5 COIL,FOX 4.0 AIR,

Bike Setup:   2006 haro x7 stock

Submitted by Gravity Assist a Downhiller from EL Centro CA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    It does what its designed for.

Weaknesses:    If you use the RPA setting, you stand a significant chance of blowing your shock.

Bottom Line:
Well, at first I thought this was just an OEM shock that was only available to bike companies and not available to the public.

fist off, I'm going to say that it does hold up just fine. I'm pretty impressed with it. However, I have multiple friends and aquentances that have all blown that shock! some after one ride, some after several, but they all make that nasty squeeking sound that, mind you laties and gentlemen, is NOT normal; it means you blew your shock, and your probably going to start leaking oil if not already so! I asked em how all their shocks where set up, and they said they had the RPA set up turned to MAX'd out, or close to MAX.that I have never even touched my RPA set up, only the rebound which is probably why I'm not in the same boat as the rest of these guys. SO to this day, I dare not touch it ever, and it works just fine. So that is my advice to the general public. And if it blows on you still, then...well... that really sucks... sorry, might as well upgrade to a better shock rather then send it in to get fixed because it will cost more to fix it then what the shock is worth.

I'm going to give it a fairly high rating because it works good for what it is, an entry level DH/ freeride shock thats apparently cost efficient. And we all know ( or should know) that cost efficient entry level stuff doesn't hold up all that great once you've reached a certain level of skill... Thank you for your time, take care.

Favorite Trail:   corral and nobal canyons, anderson truck trail

Purchased At:   OEM stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   All of the swingers, DHX, and the REVOX ( man that shock is sick!)

Bike Setup:   Haro 357, fox 40, double tracks, minions, hayes, pretty sick bike.

Submitted by Todd a Downhiller from West Linn, OR

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    plush, rebound adjust works great, propedal is perfect. Springs are easy to install. good controlled shock. great ramp up.

Weaknesses:    squeaks when pedaling

Bottom Line:
mine has 7" of travel, it just got back from its second year at whistler. I ride this shock harder than most of the people here. it DOES NOT bottom out, and if it is..then you dont know how to set up your shocks or are landing improperly. Get this shock, its well worth the money. I would suggest its use to FR and DH specific though, while the prodedal will make the shock not bob at all, when climbing the shock squeaks which is kind of annoying.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant - Whsitler B.C.

Purchased At:   ibex bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX AIR/5.0, swinger 4 way

Bike Setup:   2006 Ibex Zone FR-1, 2005 Marzocchi Shiver DC, juicy 7 brakes.

Submitted by Jason Kettles a Downhiller from NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    Rebound works great, The canister hanging off it works a treat, dose the job for the price

Weaknesses:    Alot more adjustments would be nice but you simply cannot compaire this shock to a Swinger or similer

Bottom Line:
I got sick of bobbing up & down with the stock AC Giant shock, It Absorbs bumps nicely, i weigh 60 kilo & have the 500Lb spring & it's handled everything i'm throwing at it, might go for a 450, but it's a basic upgrade from the stock pogo shock the bike came with, again dont try & compare this to a swinger or the likes, it is a great upgrade but lacking the fine tuning abillity of the dearer shocks, you get what you pay for & it's good for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Fast & Tight thats within riding distance