Manitou Evolver ISX Rear Shock

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 400 grams

An oversized air can enables Evolver ISX shock to perform shockingly well on the most demanding of trails, plus it is light and turnable down to the smallest of air pressure changes. Choose between 4 or 6 levels of adjustment in either shim-based or SPV based damping systems.

Submitted by tiger094 a Weekend Warrior from Valdosta, Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2010

Strengths:    Completely adjustable, durable, high quality product

Weaknesses:    Parts availability

Bottom Line:
I have been looking for a good allmountain shock for awhile and had high hopes for the TST but was dimally disappointed. I was hesitant about trying the maintou, it sounded real good, I have used the RP air and it was decent and better than the previous shoxs tried but no platform which is important to me. Wish I wouldve tried it first. The ISX 6 air is hands down better, it raises the bar as to how a shock should perform. You can change the ride for your preference and the adjusters give noticeable changes. After tuning you can set it and forget it for the most part. The only adjustment that I fiddle with is the Intrinsic (low speed compression). Sometimes I turn it down for bumpy stretches or firmer for hills. The shock doesnt lock out but gets very firm when the intrinsic adj is turned all the way in. You can even find a happy medium, using small increments of adjustment on the fly. The shock matches the 888 very nicely, better than the roco and tst did. The volume adj changes the progressiveness and the high speed compression soaks up big hits. I am very happy with the shock and will be keepin it on my steed.

Favorite Trail:   Florida

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi W/C and TST air, 5th element, Fox DHX5 air, Rock shox Monarch 4.2 air

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Sin, 888 upfront, Manitou ISX-6 air, Hayes 9, xt mega 9.

Submitted by jrichendrfer a Weekend Warrior from Missoula, MT, US

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2010

Strengths:    Customizable to the end, and so so smooth.

Weaknesses:    The many many different controls can be confusing, especially with no help from Manitou's manuals.

Bottom Line:
Get it. I was using the Fox Float RL shock that came with the Dakar, and thought it was pretty good. I put the ISX 6 on it, and after a few weeks of rummaging through forums and decoding confusing Manitou manuals, I am starting to get it dialed in.

Check out http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=263230 that page for setup instructions, as it will save you a lot of time.

Purchased At:   Trickle Down Bikonom

Bike Setup:   05 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0, SRAM x9, Rox Shox Revelation Fork

Submitted by Rollin a Downhiller from Southwest USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2010

Strengths:    This is for the ISX-6 with Intrinsic (shim), NOT SPV.

Wonderfully adjustable!

Weaknesses:    Wore out main slider in 3 years, and the replacement part is no longer avavilable from Manitou.

Bottom Line:
I installed the Evolver ISX-6 as soon as I recieved the bike from Titus. The Intrinsic works very well with the Horst Link.

I had to remove the Evolver recently for a rebuild, and thus have tried several shocks in the past months. The RP23 performs really well for pedaling, but sucks as a freeride shock - bottoms out.

Just got another Evolver ISX-6, and man, am I happy about it!

It's an expensive shock, and it pisses me off that only 3 years later I can not get replacement parts from Manitou (they we bought by Hayes...), but alas, I feel there is no other shock for my bike. For this I give it 4 chilis for value.

Favorite Trail:   The engaging ones!

Purchased At:   eBay in early 2007

Similar Products Used:   Many many from Fox, Manitou, RockShox...

Bike Setup:   El Guapo.
I use this bike for BOTH 30-40 mile rides and double black DH - sometimes on the SAME ride.

Submitted by Gunnar-man a Weekend Warrior from calgary, ab, canada

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2010

Strengths:    A lot of tunability and adjustments; reliable, smooth and plush

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come with set up instructions and Manitou's website was useless

Bottom Line:
I have been quite happy with this shock. I originally ordered my frame with a DHX air but it wasn't going to be available for two months so I ended up with the evolver instead and I do not regret it at all. I use my bike for trail riding mostly and the occasional downhill trip and this shock has been flawless for it all. It took a bit of trial and error to set it up, thanks to the lack of info from Manitou but thanks to this website, I found the sweet spot for me.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   DHX coil, float

Bike Setup:   Banshee Rune wtith Van RC2 up front

Submitted by naumanw a Weekend Warrior from Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2009

Strengths:    very adjustable, and what everyone else is saying here

Weaknesses:    -no instructions
-see below

Bottom Line:
While breaking in the shock in the first month i got it, it developed a strange crackling/breaking noise inside the shock..wasnt too happy considering what these go for brand new. Contacted manitou and they required to send it in for warranty i have to go through my LBS. My LBS was confused enough at this, but they sent it out for me and all I had to pay was shipping. Got the shock back after 3 weeks which was a bummer since my season for biking is only about 4 months long, but it works great now!! I would still never go to fox or any other brand just because the adjust-ability and performance this shock gives you. Also this shock just works with my rune frame very well... To dial it in read the forums and do the research! Value is very good if you know where to buy it!

Similar Products Used:   fox rp3, marzocchi

Bike Setup:   rune all mountain set up w/ 6inch front/rear

Submitted by rod a Cross Country Rider from squaw valley, ca,usa

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have an Evolver isx-6 and I set it up with 35% sag on a 6 inch bike. Coming from a coil Romic shock.

1. I use 1.65" of travel out of 2"
2. When I go over a log (12" or so). lift the front wheel and if I slam the rear wheel into the log, It hits pretty hard, harder than the Romic. I have the compressions wide open, rebound 1 click form fully closed.

Ans ideas?

Submitted by cxfahrer a Weekend Warrior from Leipzig Eastgermany

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    It is sooo plush and so easy to set up...

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The best damper I ever had. It does everything I want it to and I couldnßt imagine better.

Setup is:
150/100psi for 200lbs rider, red knob on 3, hi and low set to about half (adjusting for more highspeed when going to the bike park and for more lowspeed when doing extended uphills).

No troubles so far. Just great!

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Pearl, Swinger, Vanilla

Bike Setup:   light freeride bike with Lyrik, Formula The One

Submitted by jiro from canada

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2008

Strengths:    this is a review for 6way version. this is my first air shock and i must say i love it. all the adjustments are so easy to set up and works great. with air pressure, you can make the shock as stiff as you want or as plush as you want. im 6ft, 175 pounds and have 180psi to get 20% sag which i understand is much lower pressure required compared to fox dhx 5. have not yet to test hight speed and low speed compression adjustments much, but bottom out control and rebound adjuster works like a charm.

Weaknesses:    none so far. it just needs to last.

Bottom Line:
i love the shock. though because of the other components that are heavy, i cant really notice the difference in weight at the moment, i do love the way this shock looks and feels. i almost bought dhx 5 instead of this one and im so glad i didnt. its just too bad its not widely avaliable. when you get a chance, i hope you will get it.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in golden

Similar Products Used:   dhx 5 coil, roco rc, no previous air shock use

Bike Setup:   06 brodie nemesis,evolver 6way, 05 66rc, code brakeset,deity bar,stem and seat,e13, xt, and so on

Submitted by Dean W a Weekend Warrior from Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Strengths:    Review for an Evolver ISX-6 (7.875" i to i, 2.25" stroke)
Weight: 496 grams
light weight, easily adjusted, well labeled adjusters, excellent compression adjustments both high and low speed, bottom out control works really well, ability to adjust the progressiveness of the bottom out, smooth active mid-stroke, no spiking, feels like a coil shock, excellent rebound control and it looks cool in all black.

Weaknesses:    Needs a better manual, needs a set-up guide.

Bottom Line:
The Evolver ISX-6 feels fabulous. It is highly tunable and adjustable for any riding style or needs. The beginning stroke is very tunable and can be made firm or supple with ease. The mid stroke where you spend most of your time riding is very active and controlled. No spiking in the mid stroke.

The end stoke or bottom out is very tunable and feels bottomless.

All the adjustments are noticeable and do what you expect them to do.

I used info gathered on MTBR to get my initial set-up and tuned my bike until I had it perfect which took 3 rides. A better set-up guide for this shock from Manitou would be nice.

If you are looking for an air shock for your ride that you want to be able to tune and take some abuse (AM/FR/DH) then this is the shock for you. Simply and amazing product.

Favorite Trail:   Snakes and Ladders

Purchased At:   Maple Ridge Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Swinger 6 way (coil), 5th Element (coil), DHX Air, Fox Van R(coil)

Bike Setup:   Shock came on my 2008 Banshee Rune.

Complete set-up: 2008 Small Rune Frame (team colors: black and polished), Manitou ISX-6 Evolver shock, 2006 Fox 36Van RC2 fork, FSA Orbit Extreme Pro reducer headset, Easton EA70 bars, Easton Vice stem, XO shifters, Juicy 7 brakes with carbon lever ti bolts. 8" front / 7" rear, ODI ruffian grips, WTB Rocket ti saddle, Praxxis post, XT front mech, XO mid cage rear mech, XT 175mm cranks 32/22 Envy bash, Axiom road gap pedals, SRAM PC99 chain, XT rear cassette 12-34, DT 5.1 King 20mm front, DT5.1 King HD axle funbolt rear, Minion DHF Kevlar front and rear 2.35
Total weight is 33.5lbs

Anyone using a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 on an HD?

I am not all that impressed with the '12 KC RP23 that came on my HD. It seems to wallow in mid stroke and to get my sag set properly at around 30% i need to pump it up to a little over 200psi, when I thought I was supposed to run about 10%less than my weight in PSI (so, around 170-180) If I do ... Read More »

evolver isx-6 intrisnic shock rebuild ??

think the heat got to it this year while sitting in the garage/riding it in the heat... doesnt seem to be holding the air pressure like it did.... :madman: anyone know where to get a rebuild kit or who to send it to ?? :confused:Read More »

ISX-6 Evolver on a Mojo HD?

Anyone have thoughts on running an ISX-6 on a HD160 or 140? Would it fit a large frame? . Thanks for any info! .Read More »

Manitou Swinger Pro DC vs Evolver ISX-6

I used to own a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 Intrinsic rear shock and loved it. I noticed that Manitou has discontinued this shock but now have what appears to be a similar shock on their site called the Swinger Pro DC. Does anyone know how this differs from the Evolver ISX-6 Intrinsic? I also can't see ... Read More »

Air roco vs evolver isx-6(air)

I just recently picked up an 03 yeti as-x with a 5th element coil shock. I want to upgrade to an air shock, either the isx-6 or a roco air - no dhx 5.0 air for me, I've read way too many bad reviews on it. I'd like to use an isx-6, as I have one on my kona dawg, and its absolutely amazing compared t ... Read More »