Fox Shox FLOAT RP3 Rear Shock

3.18/5 (49 Reviews)

The lightest, easiest to use, oil damped air shock on the market continues to evolve. For 2006, we've broadened the ProPedal and rebound adjustment ranges and increased the detent feeling on the lever. Our new proprietary ProPedal system provides increased threshold and flatter compression curves for greater efficiencty and improved traction. These new compression settings have been carefully matched to the linear spring rate of our high-volume air canister.

Weight: .43 lbs/ 195 g
Lengths: 5.5x1.0, 6.0x1.25, 6.5x1.5, 7.5x2.0, 7.875x2.0
External Adjustments:
-Air spring pressure
-DOHC ProPedal with 3 positions
-Rebound damping

Submitted by zspeedee a Cross Country Rider from CV,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth as butter feel on progressive bumps w/o any major drops. An excellent xc rear shock that feels planted on uphills (PP closed) and plush during the quick decents (PP open). Creates confidence in riding ability due to the additional control through smoothness. Easy to adjust and the Pro Pedal works great!

Weaknesses:    Rebound does need to be adjusted to maintain a plush ride. Shock is probably best suited for lightweight riders like myself.

Bottom Line:
An excellent shock coming from a bottom-end air vanilla that is leagues ahead in technology. Was planning on upgrading bikes but this rear shock w/the Betd link makes the bike feel more modern (99'spec) and will have to do until I get better. Most people complain about reliability but so far its been good to me so no complaints. Tossed in about 20 miles so far and no "stuck-down" so far. If it dies, it will definitely get PUSHED or replaced w/a RP23 or Cloud9.

Favorite Trail:   Brandon Trl.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Air Vanilla

Panaracer Fire-XC
Fox RP3 06'

Submitted by jersey0826 a Weekend Warrior from Fresno, CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Pretty smooth ride on most trails. Handles small drops OK, and has held up well under abuse. Light weight, and looks good on my bike. Rebound damping works well.

Weaknesses:    The pro-pedal doesn't seem to do ANYTHING. I see no difference in sag, compression, travel, or rebound. I don't know about the factory settings as another poster mentioned, but there is no indication of firm or soft on my shock. I don't know if the function is broken, or if it doesn't do much to begin with.

Bottom Line:
This shock came on the frame, which I built-up from scratch otherwise. I have found no reason to upgrade to another shock since it has worked well for me and the type of riding I do. The only complaint is the lack of stiffness with the Pro-Pedal lever. It would be nice to have a lockout for those steep climbs. If and when I do upgrade, it will be to something with a true lockout. Aside from this, I have enjoyed this shock, and would recommend it. I consider myself lucky after reading so many reviews complaining of the Stuck-Down problem. Maybe Fox has fixed this problem? Or maybe I have just been lucky...

Favorite Trail:   Tour de Granite

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Fox float R.

Bike Setup:   06' Kona King Kikapu, XTR drivetrain, Fox F100 RLC, Mavic Crossmax XL's.

Submitted by Subaroo1 a Cross Country Rider from Wodonga Australia

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    Light, good adjustment

Bottom Line:
I have only used this shock for a short time and it has worked great for me.
Ensure you purchase the correct RP3 for your bike! the RP3 can be purchased with light, medium or firm factory set ProPedel (denoted by the sticker on it) and this can not be adjusted by the lever. It you have purchased the light factory set ProPedal the lever on the firmest setting will not make a big difference (read the manual, it's online)

Favorite Trail:   Nail can hill

Purchased At:   Came on Kona King Ki

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Radium, Fox RL and Fox R.

Bike Setup:   Kona King Kikapu, Rock shox Reba, Hayes carbon strokers, FSA rims, XT and Easton components.

Submitted by REM a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight. OK damping. Propedal is nice when it works. Doesn't leak.

Weaknesses:    Damping is OK most of the time, but gets overwhelmed riding fast over really rough terrain (compared to a swinger for instance). Pretty bouncy when the pro-pedal is off. Compression and rebound damping seems to wear out over time. Shock gets hot easily.

Bottom Line:
Had a couple of these shocks, all have slowly worn out so that the rebound damping has to be almost completely closed to do anything and the pro-pedal no longer has any effect. The frustrating part is that the shock isn't worked over, it just the internals that seem to be shot. Seems like a short lived product that either has to be replaced or serviced often to keep working properly.

Similar Products Used:   RS SID, various Swinger air shocks.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, B.C

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    -Pro Pedal works as advertised. Very effective.
-Light weight shock
-Compression adjust
-Easy to pump and maintain shock.

Weaknesses:    -Blow through travel too quickly.

Bottom Line:
IMO, the shock blows through travel too quickly. I set the correct PSI according to my weight and sag. Too much PSI, and you lose the plush feeling. Not designed for big drops, even though I still abuse it. Its still working perfect, no stuck problems. For trail riding, its perfect, very plush and responsive. XC is even better for Pro Pedal usage.

Good shock. Works, set it and forget it. Just probably not the shock for me. I like to freeride and hit big drops.

I'm hoping it doesn't crap out on me like it did for the others.

Bike Setup:   06' Giant Reign 2

Submitted by Dean a Weekend Warrior from Langley,BC Canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, affordable?

Weaknesses:    Stuck down!!!!

Bottom Line:
Ok, this is my first real full susser. First ride, this thing gets stuck down. Brand new! I paid $150.00 for it and to send it to push will cost another $150.00. I should have bought RP23 for what I'm paying total. pretty crappy product. I know when I get it back from Push it will be ten times better, but what a pain in the ass. Save your money and buy a better shock.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V(Uber Light)Jekyll S/A all LX M580 with RS Tora

Submitted by Tim Mathes a Weekend Warrior from Ladera Ranch, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    Simplicity

Weaknesses:    Would like a "no platform" setting as well.

Bottom Line:
Set the sag. Find the platform you like. Forget about it.
Excellent shock for my 230 lbs. I did these 3 steps and have not had to touch the shock since. I wonder what the RP23 would be like, but, I don't need, or want, an upgrade. I simply do not think about my suspension anymore. I consider it "done". I trail ride with a XC mindset, as far as style and equipment goes.

Favorite Trail:   lexibm@cox.net

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float RL

Bike Setup:   Kona "the King" 19", XTR group. Fox Float 130 RLC

Submitted by Rodney Service a Cross Country Rider from Edinburgh, Scotland

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    Came on a nice bike (Stumpy 120)
Compared to some of the other comments about this shock, I think I was lucky!
My retailer kindly agreed to pay for half of the repair costs despite MOJOs warranty refusal.

Weaknesses:    STUCK-DOWN 'tm' just outside first year of warranty (supposedly 2 year, but if you don't pay to have the shock overhauled in the first year the second year will not be honoured!, effectively - you pay handsomely for second years warranty ).
Shock was very little used and hadn't even worn out its first bushing (Stumpies of this vintage are well known to wear-out bushes SUPER FAST so this gives you some idea of the limited use this shock has had)
Shock was spotless and totally undamaged, I get through very little kit and 'ride light'.
Despite a warning IN THE MANUAL about the 'Stuck-Down'tm' problem, and the immaculate,hardly used condition of my shock MOJO (Fox's UK importers) refused to honour the warranty.

Bottom Line:
Avoid FOX products!
If you're not a sponsored rider or simply very wealthy, you'll be paying through the nose for the high failure rate.
The high investment is not rewarded with reliability, granted the products work well, BUT ONLY WHILE THEY WORK.
The problem I experienced with this shock is even warned of in the owners manual! it happens independent of wear and tear, to undamaged products, yet the customer is forced to bear the cost of repair.
I would give this shock a slightly higher rating if it were cheaper and were also backed up by reasonable after-sales, then the reasonably high performance might make the failure rate more bearable, not acceptable, just bearable.
All manufacturers have failures, this is a fact of life, but should a high price marque like Fox suffer so many? and be so reluctant to honour it's warranty?
All the above is just my opinion, from my perspective.
The bottom line is YOU decide where to invest your hard earned cash, my advice?, SPEND IT ELSEWHERE!

Favorite Trail:   Spooky Woods-GT

Purchased At:   Edinburgh Bike Co-Op

Similar Products Used:   I am a full-time highly qualified bicycle mechanic, and worked (to my shame) at a store which sold Fox kit both OEM and after-market, considering that Fox kit is top-dollar my experience of fault returns and the resulting warranty dodging by MOJO and Fox was quite an eye-opener.
I have witnessed MANY Fox product failures which I would personally consider warranty issues which were turned down for what I believe to be bogus reasons, or ignored as 'not a problem' (e.g. creaking between fork crown and stantions!)
These are not isolated complaints that you are reading about here, be warned!

Bike Setup:   Stumpie 120 Minus Fox float 120 forks which it came with ( I sold these immediately I bought the bike, of course they developed play after next to no use but this was deemed 'acceptable' by Mojo!)
Believe me, if I could afford to get a Manitou, DT, Cane Creek or other suitable shock to replace this I would, and will when forced to by the inevitable.

Submitted by Nathaniel a Cross Country Rider from Mass.

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    Looks nice.
Is lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Everything. Clunks, clicks and gives you a headache from all the noise it makes. Rebound is too slow. Propedal is too soft in the firm setting. Heats up easily. Fox customer servive sucks. Worst CS in the industry.
I hate Fox. Buy anything other than Fox. Manitou, Zocchi, Cane Creek....

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this..."thing."

I don't like Fox, as you can tell. Luckily I have not yet encountered the stuck down thing.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   DHX coil, Manitou Swinger 3-Way air, Manitou SLR, and a few others.

Bike Setup:   2006 Cannondale Rush 1000

Submitted by Brian DelVecchio a Cross Country Rider from Gibsonia, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    It is plush and nicely adjustable when it works.

Weaknesses:    Take a guess. This shock has an inherent design defect in that it becomes stuck down whether it is your first ride or whether you have racked up 75 or so hours of use regardless of riding conditions. If you speak with Fox they will blame this on the rider failing to perform air sleeve maintenance. That is absolutely assanine. Air sleeve maintenance after the first use? Get real Fox. Not only is the "stuck down" defect an annoyance but it is also potentially dangerous to frame and rider. The second time my shock became stuck down, it happened in dry conditions, 45-50 degree whether after 10 miles of riding. It happened suddenly at high speed, causing the swingarm link to drop thus causing the chainring to bottom out and, wham, instant accident. I am beyond the one-year warranty period so Fox tells me I have to pay for their defect now. Even assuming, for the sake of argument, that it is an air sleeve mainetance, is that supposed to manifest itself through a potentially catastrophic failure? To the guy below, make sure you have a FedEx account because you will be sending it back more than once. I myself am going back to Cane Creek which I would have kept but for the fact the RP3 came with the frame.

Bottom Line:
Fox should gurantee this shock for a lifetime or recall them.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in PA

Purchased At:   Came with Ventana frame purchase

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Cloud 9

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Salty

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Coeur d'Alene, ID, US

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    Can only talk about strengths when it worked. Light, Lock-out worked, took the bumps fine.

Weaknesses:    RP3 Weakness HAIKU:

Stuck Down Way Too Much
Pain In Backside Cannot Ride
Push Industries Help!

Bottom Line:
Seems like a great idea that almost made it. Bottom line is that Fox should step up to the plate and offer some help for folks that have dropped a load of cash on a product if they want repeat customers. Sending it to Push for help...

Bike Setup:   06 Cannondale Rush 2000

Submitted by Milko a Weekend Warrior from Tampere, Finland

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    Haven't ridden it much yet, but seems to work nicely. This is my first FS bike, so I don't have perspective to say much about the RP3. ProPedal works great, though, as there's no suspension bob when pedaling while sitting.

Weaknesses:    My RP3 got stuck down after the first test ride. The local authorized Fox service worked great, though - I got the shock back the next day I took it to service. I still don't know, though, if Fox have a solution for the stuck-down issue or not. I wouldn't want it to happen again when I'm out in the wilderness or when the shock's warranty period has ended.

Bottom Line:
After the first trail test I have no complaints. Apart from the stuck-down issue, of course.

I got my RP3 with the frame, but I most probably would've gone with Rock Shox or something else cheaper (but probably just as good), if I had had to pay hard money for the shock, especially seeing how common the stuck-down issue is.

Bike Setup:   '07 Santa Cruz Heckler ("old" model, not the '07.5), RS Revelation 426 Dual Air, Shimano XT, Race Face Evolve XC, Mavic XM321 Disc, etc.

Submitted by J a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, good when it works

Weaknesses:    Prone to sticking down, this has happened to me 5 times across 3 different RP3 shocks in 12 months. It can happen on a shock that has been fixed with 'different seals' and in both cold and warm conditions.

Fox claimed it was a bad batch of seals, they then claimed it was due to the cold and now 12 months on since the 1st shock failed (2 meters from my car the 1st time I used the bike!) They then claimed that my rear swing arm must be wonky. I have now had another new shock fail on a 2007 bike in warm conditions.

There is a serious fault with this shock.

Bottom Line:
The product is not fit for purpose. Regardless of the conditions you ride in or how you ride there is a good chance that the seal between the negative and positive air chamber will fail.

Turn round from Mojo in the UK when 'fixing it' is good but you don't know how long it will last after it has been 'fixed'.

If I could give it no chilies I would.

Harsh but fair I think.

Similar Products Used:   Work in the trade, tried most of them.

Bike Setup:   I have seen this shock fail (stick down) on just about every brand of bike that they are fitted to! Be it a long or a short shock stroke system.

Submitted by Joe Narciso a Cross Country Rider from Pleasanton, CA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Strengths:    When it works, suits my needs as a xc rider. Pro-pedal feature is nice, especially when it can be locked out for road riding to the trail head.

Weaknesses:    I have sent the shock in twice for repair due to air stuck in the negative chamber which limits the travel from 4" to about 2". When this has happened, all Propedal adjustments are equal (no lockout).

Bottom Line:
Take away the two times this shock has already been sent in for repair, I would have ranked it higher. Until I can ride it for more than year without any issues, I will not be completely satisfied. Thank goodness for Jose at Danville Bike, he has supported me 100% on the purchase and is working with Fox for a solution.

Purchased At:   Danville Bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float Vanilla.

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2007

Strengths:    Very nice fit and finish. Propedal seems to work real nice.

Weaknesses:    Shock was stuck down after one week. Never even took it to the trail. Just broke my bike in, and the shock stuck the weekend I was going to hit the dirt.

Bottom Line:
Nice shock before it broke. Actually, real nice! Before I bought this bike, I did some research. The only weak link I heard about before the purchase was this shock. Im an amateur rider, and I did not think that I could subject the shock to the abuse it would take to break. I was wrong. It is out to Fox right now on warranty. From what I can tell, this is typical of this particular shock. I would avoid it unless the price is right, then send out to be Pushed. 4 Chilis for being a well featured shock, and NOT considering the breakage. Only 2 chilis overall, because it broke rather quickly. Im sure once the shock gets the new, revised seal, I would give it 4-5 chilis overall.

Favorite Trail:   Any