Fox Shox DHX 5.0 06 Rear Shock

3.71/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by LLave

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, simple, easy adjustments. Works well for BIG boys! Some one has to represent the big kids.

Weaknesses:    Tuning the spring rate can be difficult, or should i say expensive. I was lucky enough to have a fairly common setup and be able to ask riders my weight what they use.
Not the most high tech looking, some say dated, some say burly.

Bottom Line:
Good solid design, if it aint broke dont fix it. Works GREAT on my Heckler, and will work great on yours.

Submitted by Flatline3 a Downhiller from Comox, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Lots of adjustments, and can take on all the jumps, and all the big and small bumps

Weaknesses:    Although there are many adjustments, I find they aren't that easy to use

Bottom Line:
I find this is a great rear shock. It soaks up all the bumps for me with a 350 pound rear spring(Im 130lbs) and it can take on the local road gap no problem. Takes on all the jumps, and soaks up everything. I would recommend this shock to anyone. Its amazing for how much it is. Which is why I give this 5 chilis for overall and value rating

Favorite Trail:   Cumberland DC/DH, Forbidden, Mount Washington

Purchased At:   Ozzie Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Tested Fox DHX 3.0, and Tested Fox RC4

Bike Setup:   2008 Rocky Mountain Flatline3, 2008 Marzocchi 888 RCV, Raceface Evolve DH cranks, Mavic 729 rims, Saint brakes with Straitline levers, Maxxis Minion front tire, Maxxis ardent rear, Fox DHX 5.0 Coil, WTB seat, Chromag handlebars

Submitted by Turkeyfrankfurter7-11 a Racer from Paradise CA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Strengths:    its butter when riding downhill. nothing else.

Weaknesses:    you gotta add air to the thing. My coil is too light for me right now. 165 and a 400 lb coild just bounces around. i put my old 600 on there for the time being until i get a 450 or 500. The propedal doesn't do a damn thing. I'd go back to my old shock even, an old manitou metel RP!! whaaat! but It bobs horribly. I lose so much energy climbing up hills it's incredible. Plus, when you disconnect your pump you lose a few lbs of air pressure. if it would not bob as bad i wouldn't hate it.

Bottom Line:
If I were riding only downhill i'd probably be happy with it. I ride my bike uphill just as much, if not more uphill than i do down. I do ride an all mtn bike w/ 6" travel, but i run 5" in the rear. I wouldn't buy this shock if you ride a lot of xc with lots of uphill. I feel like after I put this shock on my bike i may as well convert it to a full downhill rig and buy a new bike now. It was an expensive trial and error purchase, and i'm not too thrilled about it's climbinb capablities even w/ 200 lbs of "boost" air in it.

Favorite Trail:   rebel trails

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   manitou metel

Bike Setup:   devinci jalapeno

Submitted by cafam1 a Weekend Warrior from New York , NY

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    sturdy, looks good.

Weaknesses:    small bump sensitivity

Bottom Line:
Cannot seem to achieve small bump compliance with this fork. I have tried everything. had it pushed, numerous springs, sag, piggyback psi cannot seem to get it right . This shock may be good for a free rider or dh rig, but for all mountain use the dhx air with the smaller air can is way better in every aspect, square bump hits big hits rebound control. I here the new dhx coil works much better but as far as the 2005 06 model i would not bother for all mountain use.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   2006 Turner 5spot

Submitted by donn wilson a Cross Country Rider from anacortes wa

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2007

Strengths:    at least the coil spring works

Weaknesses:    Too complicated to work, properly. Fox figured out how to bring all the weaknesses of air to a coil over.

Bottom Line:
I got the DHS 5.0 to take the pedal feed back out of my high pivot machine. The shock blew in less than a year. I am 51 and weigh 150 lbs. Sent it to fox under warranty, blew again on first ride. Sent it back to fox, didnt make it out of the driveway, blew again. clearly a lemon. still under warranty. fox told me they would give me a discount on a new one. Im buying a Risse. Keep the air out of your coil over

Favorite Trail:   cranberry lake

Purchased At:   adrenaline

Similar Products Used:   Risse coil over

Bike Setup:   Mtn cycle DNA. 7 3/4 in rear travel

Submitted by brian a Weekend Warrior from Orlando

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
This review goes more towards Fox customer service or lack ther of. I ordered a 5.0 on the tenth of febuary for a trip this weekend the 24 two full weeks later needless to say i still do not have the shock. Dealer says Fox turnaround is 5 days. Ya right. So I call Fox explain my problem ask if they have one in stock yes they do can you over night so i have tommorrow Friday for my trip answer NO it is after 12 noon we dont cate if you ordered this two weeks ago and have not recieved it yet. Miss your trip is essentially waht they are telling my.

Needless to say I don't know how it performs because I cant get one. If you need this product in the Decade do not order it Fox is shipping at a snails pase.

Submitted by eric from henderson nv

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Strengths:    awesome range of adjustibility. plushness. bottom out resistance is kick ass. soaks up the bumps, drops, jumps, and pretty much anything that you can throw at it. this shock inspires big ole grins and mass confidence, unlike my crappy fork (manitou kingpin),

Weaknesses:    nodda

Bottom Line:
one bad ass shock. (wish i had a bike that allowed for a bigger stroke shock, i have the baby of the 5.0, 2 inch stroke.) little pricey, 400 bucks but well worth the cheddar. bottomed it twice, adjusted rebound and blammo added some air and that was the end of that. super plush, propedal kicks ass. never seen so much adjustibilty in a shock. still getting to know it so i havent discovered the true potential. im 200lbs w/ gear on and its so nice. i wish my fork were like this. this shock soaks up the big hits and asks for more. can almost hear it speak to ya "please sir, may i have some more". ramps up so nice on big hits. bottomless travel when adjusted right.

bottom line, if you dont have one, i advise you get one, unless you got a rocco.

Favorite Trail:   bootleg canyon, red valley/cottonwood

Purchased At:   go-ride

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla r(ugh) like ridding a leaf spring

Bike Setup:   khs dh 50/fetish, 2007 dhx 5.0 w/ 600 pound spring.

Submitted by Gord a Weekend Warrior from Vamcouver, BC

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    Great adjustability, takes a hit like a champ.

Weaknesses:    None that I could find

Bottom Line:
As far as the V10 goes, this is exactly the right rear shock. Tried a couple of others from friend's V10's but nothing even came close, They put mine in thier bikes and now most have this shock.

Favorite Trail:   Anything over 35 degrees

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Every thing at one time or another

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 V10 DH package from Santa Cruz w/40 RC2's

Submitted by Kyle Bickford a Downhiller from Boise

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustability, Plushness.

Weaknesses:    Durability. See Below

Bottom Line:
I have owned the DHX for almost a year now, but I haven't been able to ride it for the past 3 months. When I first had my DHX, I loved it, but when I was at a local ski resort hitting a simple, low wallride until I noticed that my DHX was leaking. I finished up the ride, went home, looked at it and noticed that it was leaking from the rebound chamber and took it the LBS (in which I work at) and sent it into fox. I figured, hey, it is covered under warranty, its just a blown seal or something and I should get it back in a week or so. While the shock was at FOX I had talked to a co-worker and he said he had the same problem. Sent it into FOX and they didn't do squat. He recommended I send it into PUSH. Well I was WRONG. I got it back, 2 months later, 2 MONTHS!!, (they claimed they had fixed it) mounted it up on my bike, pushed down to make sure everything went right, and low and behold, something wasn't right- the rebound chamber started leaking again! So I immediately jumped on to my computer and ordered service from PUSH. They were really easy to deal with. Right after my order they sent a conformation e-mail, and after they had recieved the order they sent my invoice. So I printed it out, dotted the T's-crossed the I's, and sent off my shock to PUSH. I oredered an entire rebuild plus I told them of the problem I had been having, and a new spring. This time, I got my shock back in 2 weeks, on the dot, not bad. But when I mounted up the shock, pushed down on the suspension, the shock started leaking. Although PUSH did an excellent job, from what I was able to feel, I am now really pissed. I have been without my DHX for 3 months, and even missed out on a few races due to it.

FOX's feel great, but once you bust it, good luck.

I would recommend this product to only DH racers, not FR's. It won't be able to withstand the abuse.

Favorite Trail:   DH Courses

Similar Products Used:   Fox VanillaR, Fox RP3 w/ Brain

Bike Setup:   05 BigHit, Fox 40RC2, Fox VanillaR(currently the DHX is broken, Avid juicy 7.

Submitted by Stuart a Downhiller from Abbotsford, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    amazing big hit absorbancy, awesome pedal platform, not too heavy and yas yet to blow!!:D

Weaknesses:    top bit of the stroke is disgustingly sticky, making small bumps very noticeable. maybe its still not broken in or its designed to do this for pedaling...

Bottom Line:
I havent found a problem with this shock that absolutely pisses me off yet, and that's a good thing. It's crazy adjustable, (preload, rebound, bottom out, propedal, propedal boost) and has a great feel when paired with a 4-bar linkage. It takes everything except for the smallest bumps, but that can be fixed by lowering tire pressure. All in all an amazing shock that I plan to ride for a couple of years. (or until fox releases another crazy model)

Favorite Trail:   Turd Burglar

Purchased At:   with frame at on top

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla rc 2004, fox vanilla 2000, fox vanilla rc 2002 (you can probably tell I'm a fox fan)

Bike Setup:   06 banshee scream w/ super t, magura louise, block 8's, doubletrack/729 and all that good stuff

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Strengths:    Easily adjustable, feels excellent.

Weaknesses:    It's difficult to set the precomp on the coil, no grip. Perhaps there's a special tool for this?

Bottom Line:
Excellent!

Purchased At:   Came with frame.

Similar Products Used:   The 4.0, Vanilla-R, 5th element.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASX, Boxer Ride and ofcourse the DHX 5.0.

Submitted by cory W a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2006

Strengths:    Absolute butter while mantaining a decent pedal platform. extremely adjustable

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever

Bottom Line:
The best shock out there if you ride around town or uphill. The Rocco is slightly plusher but this design pedals loads better and is proven. Get this shock if you are into Freeride

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   Cactus Bike

Similar Products Used:   swinger 6 way, Rocco

Bike Setup:   06 Transition Dirtbag, 66 RC2X, DHX 5.0, and a ton o other goodies

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2005

Strengths:    Extreemly adjustable (propedal, bottom out, rebound, compression range, and preload), super smooth running, low to no maintence.

Weaknesses:    uhhh......makes biking to easy?

Bottom Line:
This shock is great. Has to be the smoothest shock i've ever ridden. It makes the knarliest trails seem like their smooth pavement. I've only had 1 problem. Fox sent the wrong weight spring off the start. I was given a 500lb spring for the bike and it was not enought. With the amount of sag that i was getting it made the bike ride rough over chatter bumps and roots. I went up to a 600lb spring and it made all the difference. I weight 180 lbs and it works great. Deffinatly a buy for any freeride, downhill bike. Or if you just like coil shocks.

Favorite Trail:   On Belay