Fox Racing Shox Vanilla RC Rear Shock

adjustable rebound damping
Big-Flow reservoir

Submitted by JamisonW a Downhiller from Poway, CA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2010

Strengths:    Soaks up EVERYTHING.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Absolutely amazing. Has saved my butt on more than one occasion. I recently popped my rear tube, and the first ride after replacing the tube I kept checking to see if it went flat because of the extreme plushness of the shock!! It is simply amazing. 5 for value because these shocks are reasonably priced and 5 for quality.

Favorite Trail:   Ted Williams

Purchased At:   With the bike on cra

Bike Setup:   GT DHi Race w. Monster Ts

Submitted by Ciaran Mauro a Downhiller from St. Helena, CA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    came free with the frame..?

Weaknesses:    OOOOLLLLDDD-Not Very Adjustable-Beyond Its Prime

Bottom Line:
This shock was no doubt good back in 2004 when it was produced as one of the good Downhill Freeride shocks, but god, after awhile, everything isn't that good. In my opinion, this shock is beyond its prime, with little adjustments like Pre-Load, Compression, and Rebound. I wish it at least had Hi/Lo Compression. I thought it would work okay though until I could upgrade, but upon doing some freeride, and dropping about 6 or 7 Feet a few times, it now squeaks for the last 75% of its stroke. I don't know what is wrong with it, dampers, gaskets, or what, but unfortunately I am going to have to live with it until I get the money to upgrade. And by squeak I mean LOUD, enough to annoy your fellow riders and to penetrate your full face helmet while jumping or dhing.

Favorite Trail:   Lower 4H, Dave's Place FR

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Swinger Coil 4-Way, Manitou Revox IS-X

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse 7Point7, Manitou Travis Single 180 TPC, and this shock

Submitted by Lawman a Downhiller from Derbyshire

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2009

Strengths:    super nice feels, really plush and doesnt need much fine tuning or setting up to get it working well.

Weaknesses:    standard coils protective coating is not as protective as it could be but small prise to pay.

Bottom Line:
Great shock that is quite cheap and perfect for any rider.

Favorite Trail:   Cwmcarn oor ultimately Whistler

Purchased At:   on my bike

Similar Products Used:   5th element coil(awfull! noisy and poor feel.)

Bike Setup:   Big hit expert(03)08 Boxxer teams, Deemaxes, hope m4s, xo gears, mrp g2 etc.

Submitted by bxxer rider a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    nice shock to ride, confident, any push ungrades avalible so can be a cheap highly plush shock if have a little more spent on it.

Weaknesses:    i dont no whether it is just me but i have blow un the seals twice in less then 6 months, but stoped when chaged fork after 6 months

Bottom Line:
very nice, cheap, cheap to get seviced.

Favorite Trail:   leckhampton daisy bank

Purchased At:   came stock

Similar Products Used:   dhx 5.0

Bike Setup:   orange patriot, started with junior t pro's then changed to boxxer ride fork.

Submitted by Jacob Hohn a Weekend Warrior from Berkely CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2008

Strengths:    Materials. Machineing. Clearly indexed adjustments. Linearity of adjustment. Consistant performance. Just so easy to setup. Affordability. Mine is a leftover stock '99 model. Coil version.

Weaknesses:    Heavyish. Lack of modern trickery really shows the weaknesses of your bike. Not for those concerned with maximum performance.

Bottom Line:
This is a no bs component. Everything it offers is quality. Without any lockout, pro-pedal or other bandaids, it really lets the characteristics of your frame and style shine. I couldn't be happier with this product. Especially for the price. These are readily available for $100 new as leftover stock. I'm a flat-pedal 8-speed coil'noil ride-it-til-it breaks kind of guy and this thing was just made for riders like me.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt. Not mud.

Similar Products Used:   Standard Vanilla coil. (also good. can be had for 30 dollars.) Manitou Swinger 5 way.

Bike Setup:   '99 Element. Rough XC build. '07 Recon coil@110mm. Zero drop bar to saddle. 150# rider. 800# coil.

Submitted by Zack a Downhiller from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2007

Strengths:    Reliable and Strong

Weaknesses:    obtaining the mountain hardware for ironhorses lol but other than that nothing at all

Bottom Line:
Very good shock

Favorite Trail:   Cold Springs

Purchased At:   MTB Review Forums

Similar Products Used:   Swinger 4way and 6

Bike Setup:   06Ironhorse warrior se-Manitou Minute fork and Fox Van rc rear shock

Submitted by g g a Downhiller from th

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
great shock

Submitted by brian h a Downhiller from los gatos

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    very ajustable. great for downhill

Bottom Line:
a very strong shock

Favorite Trail:   socal demo

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla r. 5th element

Submitted by Cole a Downhiller from Temecula CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Strengths:    Very smooth/plush, very reliable, just plain works with barely any maintenence, a classic to go down in history

Weaknesses:    I have no complaints

Bottom Line:
This shock just feels great, take big drops with ease (even on flat from 8 feet). I am going to send it to push industries because i heard it is unbelievable after you get their race tuning system.

Favorite Trail:   tunnel

Similar Products Used:   manitou swinger 4 way and 6 way

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized Big Hit Expert, 06 Rock Shox Boxxer Race

Submitted by dor bloch a Downhiller from new york

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Strengths:    very strong! and reliabel... never made problems for me..
good rebound ajustment and stiffnes

Weaknesses:    bobing.. other then that nothing!!

Bottom Line:
buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! belive me yol be happy:-)

Favorite Trail:   j-bar double dimond

Purchased At:   litilton bike shop

Similar Products Used:   fox vanila r,fox flowt,fox dhx5,manitou swinger,manitou metal,,manitou swinger air,5th element

Submitted by Dave from England

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Strengths:    Outlasted my clubroost DH8 frame, smooth on drops

Weaknesses:    Seemed verry bouncy when peddaling and the adjusters didn't do much.

Bottom Line:
Would be a lot better if it wasn't so bouncy and the adjusters worked properly, apart from that everything seems ok.

Purchased At:   came on DH8

Similar Products Used:   romic on big hit, 5th element on high octane.

Bike Setup:   Clubroost DH8 2003 or 2004 modle sure

Submitted by Brandon Dixon a Downhiller from Calgary

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Everything was great, excellent adjusability

Weaknesses:    It exploded on a perfect landing. but it did make some cool noises in the process

Bottom Line:
its good, alittle soft, excellent othewise

Favorite Trail:   sideshow bob

Similar Products Used:   my new dhx 5

Bike Setup:   bighit dh, shiver dcs, dhx5

Submitted by Eder Savio a Downhiller from Florianópolis - Brazil

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2006

Strengths:    Just ride and forget maintenance.
Easy adjustable.
Makes the work.

Weaknesses:    No so sensitive.

Bottom Line:
1) There are newer shocks with superior level of technology, but the old RC yet is the more trustable.
It is perfect if you ride for fun and do not want bother.
2) Believe, choice the correct spring. It makes all the difference. My weight is 200 lb and I've a 850 x 2.25 spring.
3) If you like big jumps, open the compression adjust or your shock will blow the rubbers. Just use the compression adjust for avoid bob.

Favorite Trail:   All the forest ;)

Purchased At:   Comes with bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Deluxe, Superdeluxe, ProdeLuve.
Romic. DNM air.

Bike Setup:   Remec DH World Cup. Monster T. Hayes HFX9 8".

Submitted by k-dogg the tremendous a Downhiller from somewhere out there

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2005

Strengths:    can take a serious hit, the adjustments work very nicely

Weaknesses:    just put a heavier spring on it

Bottom Line:
it is awesome rear shock especially when you get it just right, fox knows what the heck there doin' and dont listen to the guy below me gripin about this product he probly doesnt know what hes doin

Favorite Trail:   mammoth/anywhere

Purchased At:   craigslist.com

Similar Products Used:   I dont know I just like this one alot

Bike Setup:   banshee scream, monster T, fox vanilla rc, mrp guide, truvativ bars, hayes 8-inch, maxxis 2.7 mobsters, sun ringle freeride wheels, raceface northshore dh cranks, wtb seat

Submitted by Ben a Downhiller from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2005

Strengths:    This shock is mint super plush takes in the shudders and then soaks up the big hits. easy to adjust and set up for your riding style.

Weaknesses:    The only problem that i have had is after some stair jumps i small rattle sarted but the bushes were replaced and its sweet now

Bottom Line:
This is a top shock i have had no trouble from it. its soft yet pedals well. As a race shock it is mint. this is the 2nd that i have owned and i would definatly buy again.