Fox Racing Shox Vanilla R 05 Rear Shock

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by High_Roller a Downhiller from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    very stable over rocks, steady rebound

Weaknesses:    a bit squishy for my tastes. im 130 and this thing is reluctant bottom out, but my friends tell me when i land my ironhorse that im pretty close to it. small drops even.

Bottom Line:
Great for going through rock gardens and small drops, but not all that good for jumping. infact not at all on my setup. whatever could just be my bike.

Purchased At:   A friend

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse sgs expert.

Submitted by Griffin a Downhiller from conestogo, ontario, CANADA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Strengths:    lots of rebound control, cool lookin, um thats about it

Weaknesses:    no compression adjust,i just dont like it

Bottom Line:
Well the shock was working fine until one night my buddy and I were out riding and set my "lil" kicker up in fornt of a hill, and the faster u went the father u dropped, i ended up doing about a 10-12 foot drop and the shock bottomed harshly and oil started leaking out the shaft end where the rebound adjustment is,so it blew, and it aint pretty, and i have to now by a new shock from ebay ( becasue its cheaper).
good for beginners and people who just wanna do moderate freeriding

Favorite Trail:   blue mtn ( so far)

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   dhx 5.0, other vanilla R's

Bike Setup:   rocky mtn swith s1 with boxxer race, race face stem, handle bar, race face X-type DH crank, exc.....

Submitted by brian a Downhiller from california

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    very stiff, 32 clicks on the rebound ajustment, reliable fox product

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
this shock is the best! i love it so much compared to the stupid x-fusion that bottomed out on a 2ft drop! this wont borrom on a 12ft drop! im sooo happy with it and it is super stiff, but really pluch at the same time!

Purchased At:   fox online

Similar Products Used:   dhx 5.0, x-fusion, float air

Bike Setup:   bighit spec w/ azinoc a-frame pedals, truvativ bash guard, marzocchi drop off triple, and for vanilla r rear shock

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Stockholm

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Strengths:    Good cost/quality ratio.

Bottom Line:
This is my first, fully suspended bike, so I went with a preconfigured and fully assembled Kona Coiler.

I don't know much about other rear shocks, but I do push the bike from time to time and I strongly suggest experimenting with the rebound setting until it feels right for your weight/style.

The only downside with this rear shock is the "bouncyness" it has while putting massive force on the pedals. I guess this is partly due to frame construction and the fact that suspension do behave that way.
The good thing is that you can set the rebound for the type of riding you will do.

If you are, like me, someone who puts some weight on your bike you might want to put on a bigger coil.

When you're going fast downhill it absorbs the surface very well and even if you put most of your weight on the rear tire in a drop it feels very smooth.

Since I'm a beginner I'm sure it has saved my rear rim dozens of times. (my hard tail bikes broke by the dozen)

I'm looking forward to testing other, maybe uncoiled rear shocks, but until then I'm quite happy with this one.

Favorite Trail:   Freeride on any mountain

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   Standard Kona Coiler 2005

Submitted by Big Clitty from Avery County, NC

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth. Lots of adjustability for just rebound controlled shock.

Weaknesses:    No compression control (buy a Vanilla RC if it really matters).

Bottom Line:
I don't know what the previous rider is talking about. When the rebound control is turned down on this thing it makes the bike feel like a hard tail. It sounds to me like he just had a defective shock or something. In my opinion this shock is well worth the money. Any Freerider would be happy with this unless they want to pay extra fro a 5th element.

Purchased At:   Tested at Clark's Bike Shop Hickory, NC

Submitted by Tomas D'Agostino a Weekend Warrior from São Paulo

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2005

Strengths:    Looks beefy and well constructed.
Damping is nice and plush.
propedal works just fine.

Weaknesses:    Rebound seems to be a bit fast.
Rebound adjustment pin seems that will fall apart when turned.
Rebound pin stops don't work at all.

Bottom Line:
The shock works nice and smooth, riding the bike is like fly through clouds till you try to jump any ramp. I was throwed face down because the rebound, even when in the slowest position, was too fast. As I was not used to full suspention bikes, actually this is my first one, I thought that it was my fault, but later when I was trying new combinations of shock setups I could realize that the shock hasn't got sufficient rebound damp. I'm looking to get some off-factory rebuilt maybe by Push to see if I can get more rebound damp.
So, if you're looking for a good shock, with fewer capacities than a more expensive DH shock and if you aren't bothered of having a little fast rebound you should go for it. Otherwise waste a few more bucks and get something else.

Favorite Trail:   Anyone