Fox Racing Shox TALAS Rear Shock

4.25/5 (16 Reviews)

T.ravle A.djustable L.inear A.ir S.pring
  • Single Schrader air-vlave allows easy one-time tuning setup
  • On the fly adjustment of the eye-to-eye length from "Extended" to "-1/4" shorter and "-1/2" shorter. As eye-to-eye length changes, so does shaft travel
  • The TALAS system automatically adjusts air pressure for the perfect ride at each travel setting and also has a larger air-volume to flatten out the spring curve achieving a less progressive, more "Linear" feel.
  • On the fly lock-out lever with big bump compression blow-off circuit
  • Precision CNC machined parts throughout
  • By changing the shocks eye-to-eye length, the bicycle frame geometry can be altered to suit any trail or riding style.
  • Self-adjusting negative air spring
  • Nitrogen charge with internal floating piston

Submitted by Yellow Mollow a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2008

Strengths:    abosrobs shocks accuratly only if tuned by YR, the elite tech.

Weaknesses:    talas travel adjusting feature does'nt work after just a few rides

Bottom Line:
If you ever have the choice, better to avoid the fox brand. If you are cought with it, my best advise is to send it to YR in quebec, Canada, www.velocycle.com. He is the only one able to tune the fox products exactly according to your needs. I don't know what he does, but it is like magic. You will never need any maintenace again after his labor. Not like those Fox 6 digit crooks, who deliberatly makes you spend on your suspensions regularly because of their unpassionate works... The rebuild protocols are called YR's efficiency, & it is the best fox service in the world. I had more than 10 different fox suspensions tuned by YR, & none of them needs servicing so far. Before I used to send them to Fox usa & I had to spend hundereds of dollars per year... Value rating is according to Fox usa service & overall rating is after YR's rebuild service!

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Purchased At:   La Porte a Bicyclette

Bike Setup:   trek fuel

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from New Lowell, ON Canada

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2007

Strengths:    Very easy to adjust, installtion and setup took less than a half hour. Soaks up hard and fast hits with no problems like riding a cloud. I am over 200 lbs. and a 5-6 foot drop is no problem. I have not been able to bottom this unit out yet.

Weaknesses:    None yet!!

Bottom Line:
Really easy to set up and adjust for all types of riding. Never loses air pressure even stored or riding in cold temp. I have about 7 inches of rear travel with this shock, basically if your are willing to ride over it, it soak it up. Very plush and can be adjusted quickly for different conditions.

When I first got this shock the seals weeped a bit but according to the local bike store this is normal.

All that being said great shock, go buy one if you can find a store with NOS sitting on the self.

Purchased At:   120

Similar Products Used:   Kind Shock(POS)

Bike Setup:   06 Schwinn Blackline stock except for Hayes 203s, Talas rear, Minute 2 on the front.

Submitted by Gordy a Weekend Warrior from Everett, WA USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    Nearly infinite adjustment
Good rebound control and dampning
Plush ride quality

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This shock kicks butt!! It actually improves my ability! Took a while to get set up for my riding style but once it was...Holy Sh_t! NO pedal bob! Climbs great even when not locked. Does downhill and drops like you're riding a frickin' sofa! I had to purchase a Fox 100RLC because it brings out all the bad qualities of my Rock Shox Psylo. Just find one and put it on! You will be impressed!

Favorite Trail:   Japanese Gulch

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla R w/ProPedal
Noleen

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Sinister Expert, XT rings, cranks, derailuers, Avid Mech. discs, Bontrager Race Lites w/Mich. Hot S (For loose and Mud) Mavic Cross Max w/Bontrager Revolt (for dry and hardpack), RS Psylo XC (Changing to Fox at the end of the week!)

Submitted by Gianfranco De Micheli a Racer from Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2005

Strengths:    Performance

Weaknesses:    So far none.

Bottom Line:
The fork perform fantastic after taking the time to adjust it to fit your own riding prefercens. I like to ride a little bit of everything XC, climbing, downhill and with this fork you can change the geometry of the bike on the flight...and for sure it'll make you fly. I'm vary happy so far especially for the performance and flexibility of adjustments. Great product.

Favorite Trail:   Nobel Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Fox L

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid 30

Submitted by Neal a Cross Country Rider from Penticton BC Canada

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2005

Strengths:    Nice Ride. Dependable so far.

Bottom Line:
Once I got the shock set up for how I ride it is fine. I rode the end of last season in Moab on it and all of this year in British Columbia. I have had no problems with the shock. After the bike sat all winter during ski season I checked the pressure before the first ride this spring and it was what it was when I shut it down last fall. I have had a whole summer on it and it has not lost any pressure and still works well.

Favorite Trail:   Three Blind Mice

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid 30

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from colonial heights va

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    looks,versatility,durability, adjustabilty.too many otheres to name,easy on the fly change of suspension height

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
once set up properly(I set it a little above my riding weight so when it burped out a little when I remove the pump it drops to equal my riding weight, the shock feels like floating on water. the rebound took a bit of adjustment. the curb hop test is not as accurate as the trail ride test but you must be willing to stop and tweak while on the trail with this method but it is worth it.if you want a shock that will work equally well going to the store,on fire roads,cross country, or severeobstacles at fast speeds plunk down the $ for this one. there is very little pedal bob when climbing in or out of the saddle even in the exteded range

Favorite Trail:   Pocahontas

Purchased At:   Cobblestone bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rckshox deluxe

Bike Setup:   Devinci Guzzler,ATAC pedals, Ergo bars

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Glendale, CA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Strengths:    -Great shock
-adjustabilty
-weight
-looks

Bottom Line:
This rear shock is great. It really eats up all the bumps and big rocks. Just get the pressure right. Great shock

Bike Setup:   Liquid 30 stock except for tires. I put on some michelin Hot S 2.5's on them.

Submitted by VelvetHog a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Strengths:    Great adjustability. This shock if capable of being VERY plush. It holds air for long periods of time. It can be set to handle casual riding or semi aggresive descents equally. It really eats up rocky sections. The ultimate air shock for Moab type riding.

Weaknesses:    From my point of view I know of none.

Bottom Line:
TAKE THE TIME TO DIAL IN THIS SHOCK. It makes a very large difference in the handling. If the pressure is too high for your weight/riding style the shock can be harsh and skittish. If you dial it in it is extremely plush. There is a fine line between getting it set too soft and bottoming it often and getting it set too firm and losing most of its performance. I am talking about a difference of 5 to 10 psi of air pressure. Once it is dialed it is truly impressive.

My seals weaped a bit at first. The main shaft would be damp with oil (no drips) at first, but only while riding. I emailed Fox about this. They assured me that it was normal. After some miles (about 300) the oil seeping stopped completely. I theorize that the seals took that long to seat in. Also my front TALAS seals were exactly the same and took even longer to stop weaping than the rear.

Favorite Trail:   Behind the Rocks

Similar Products Used:   Vanilla, 5th Element

Bike Setup:   bone stock Liquid 30 sans a few stickers

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    Reliability -- quality of construction. Fox warranty dept.

Bottom Line:
This product works as advertised. Has a solid feel under pedaling pressure. Height adjust works and is fun to experiment with - but you soon find your favorite settings. No leaks no problems -- solid warranty dept -- what else can you ask? my suggestion to prolexer below is that he first get himself a bike from the 20th century - then upgrade .... if his choice makes sense.

Similar Products Used:   Practically every shock and fork known to man for the last 20 years.

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid 10 with modified upgraded components & Talus fork.

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Strengths:    Plush Ride, adjustability

Weaknesses:    No Compression Adjustment, Oil running down shock shaft

Bottom Line:
Shock leaked oil very slightly when new, then stopped leaking until I rode it in sub-freezing weather. Then someone turned on the faucet. With only 500 miles or so on this unit I can only wonder if there is any oil left in the shock. Fox states that this is "normal" and I should not be alarmed. I was born at night, but not last night. Oh, my fox forks leak just as much.

Purchased At:   OEM on Liquid 30

Bike Setup:   Stock liquid 30

Submitted by Albert a Downhiller from St. George, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    Rapid adjustment of rear suspension travel settings. Very smooth ride on rough trails.

Weaknesses:    Wish it could have a remote lever for quicker travel changes on wavy terrain.

Bottom Line:
Been riding hard, fast and often for one year on some tough trails with no problems from the Fox TALAS on my Trek Liquid 20. Love the ability to change the shock length (usually while in motion) to match the downhill or uphill ride.

Purchased At:   Bicycles Unlimited

Similar Products Used:   Don't know of another similar product. Other adjustable rear suspensions require unbolting and moving shock mount.

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid 20

Submitted by DLH a Cross Country Rider from Washington/USA

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    Works as advertised -- reliable -- holds air without leaking -- works silently and with no fuss.

Weaknesses:    None --

Bottom Line:
This rear shock combined with the Trek four bar rear suspension works extraordinarily well. Seems to reach a good compromise between pedal efficiency and plushness with relative ease. Talas feature works as advertised. Unlike the Proflexer I have never heard a peep out of my shock -- I recommend that he turn the shock right side up - I don't know but it may make a difference to the rebound lockout feature. Anyway, this is without queston, in my mind, the best Fox Air schock I have ever used - and I have used and liked them all. 'Nuff said - if you are looking for easy rear travel adjustability with Fox reliability this is your shock.

Similar Products Used:   There aren't any that I haven't used - Except the new Manitou SPV

Bike Setup:   Trek liquid -- XTR, Thompson, Marzocchi etc..

Submitted by Old Proflexer a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Strengths:    very adjustable

Weaknesses:    makes a lot of noise

Bottom Line:
pic of mounted shock:

not happy at all at this time.

i purchased the shock and mounted as pictured. was having fun with the adjustability but now i was hearing a sound that i had not heard before - a rattling, like a marble inside a cup. the sound was coming from the smaller, length adjustment housing.

i contacted via email the fox c.s. department and they indicated that the shock should not be making any noise as i was describing. they gave me an ra number and i sent the shock in, they serviced it (i think) and promptly sent it back. i remounted it, took it for a spin and it was making more noise that it had before.

the shock works as advertised but is noisy as all get out and i'm contacting the company to see if they will either clarify the problem, try to fix it again, upgrade the shock to maybe an rl if that will help or something.

the rattling is unacceptable and i'd advise caution before buying one of these.

here's a link to my K2 Bikes Tech Forum - I'm letting many of our posters know what's happening and if and how it'll get resolved

"Old Proflexer"