Fox Racing Shox Float RP23 Rear Shock

3.53/5 (73 Reviews)
Weight : 213 grams MSRP : $255.99

The mountain bike air shock that started a suspension revolution. The Float line packs a ton of performance and pedaling efficiency into a lightweight package, for XC racing to All-mountain riding.

Fox 34 Float 29 Front Fork & Float RP23 Rear Shock Pro Review

The RP23 really needs no introduction. It’s become the standard for rear shocks and, with Kashima coat in 2012, is now the gold standard. Three key technologies bear highlighting. Kashima is already explained above. The others are Boost Valve which is an actual valve in the rear shock. The RP23 (and RP2) have always been velocity sensitive in that the air spring activates differently depending on whether an impact is high or low speed. Continue reading →

Submitted by Avishade

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2014

Strengths:    It's a decent shock while it lasts.

Weaknesses:    I've warrantied it 3 times within the 1st year now that its out of warranty fox expects me to pay to fix the same problem.

Bottom Line:
The 2012 shock came new with a harsh thunk at the top of the stroke when propedsl was engaged sent it in several times within the 1st 6 months. Now the propedal stopped working and has a thump at the top of the stroke, it's just out of warranty. Obviously a bad shock from the start but I'm supposed to pay to have it fixed from here on out. Very chintzy. I've seen a lot of problems with this 2012 batch I think fox should recall them or aknowledge the problem.

Duration Product Used:   About a year

Bike Setup:   Rocky slayer 2012

Submitted by sam moore

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2013

Strengths:    The good things about this shock are that it is simple and good for moderately technical track i give this a 10/10.

Weaknesses:    no thing.

Bottom Line:
great sock bit to expensive but i am 12 years old and i got it on my trek fuel ex 9.
GREAT SHOCK!!:)

Submitted by Will

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2013

Strengths:    seals seem to last

Weaknesses:    2nd shock where propedal does not work or has very limited effect.

Bottom Line:
Not impressed with this shock. I've had two versions on two different frames and both have had issues with propedal out of the box. As it it DOES NOT DO ANYTHING. Next shock will not be fox I hope.

Submitted by Lets Try Science

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2012

Strengths:    Seals have lasted a long time.

Weaknesses:    Blows through travel if sag is set correctly. To fix I'm supposed to pay Fox $25 for a spacer kit which looks like it contains $0.20 of plastic.
Pro-pedal does nothing if your over 180lbs.
Rebound adjustments aren't gradual enough.

Bottom Line:
The performance does not reflect the price. I hate the need to send Fox forks and shocks off to PUSH to get them to work correctly.

Submitted by Celmeleon a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2012

Strengths:    heavy duty for high jump not sure for extreme jump tho..

Weaknesses:    leaks

Bottom Line:
not bad for the quality

Favorite Trail:   waterdogs

Duration Product Used:   4 times a weeks

Submitted by Salespunk a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Light, plush for small bump compliance, works well for cross country

Weaknesses:    Reliability sucks, had cavitation in the shock after 4 months. Sent it in and borrowed a friends identical shock. Cavitation after three weeks and had to be sent in as soon as mine got back.

It also spikes on long downhill runs as the shock heats up. There is not enough oil in the shock to counteract the heat buildup.

Bottom Line:
While it is working not a bad shock, but there are much better choices. Works well for cross country riding, but once you start going downhill you will be giving up a lot of performance. If the DH is rough then it will be even worse. Reliability is abismal. Two non functional shocks with less than four months on each is a joke. Another friend has one that will not hold air with less than a week of riding on it. When Fox first got into the bike business everyone wanted their stuff because of the performance and reliability. I think now it is a much different story. Hopefully they get things back in line soon.

Favorite Trail:   Chiquito

Similar Products Used:   Monarch RC3

Bike Setup:   Mojo HD in 160 mode. Fox 36 up front

Submitted by atenciole a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Strengths:    I'm not sure it never worked.

Weaknesses:    Quality control. Third Fox product that I got that was bad out of the box.

Bottom Line:
Fox has the worst quality control of any manufacturer. This is my third fox product that was bad out of the box. Won't hold pressure. I doubt I'll be buying anything fox for years to come.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    When it works it seems fine/ good. Gives confidence and speed on most terrain

Weaknesses:    I have had an EX8 (2010) for 2.5 yrs and my 4th rear shock just went. Won't hold air through 5-10 compressions, pressure down from 150 psi to close to zero. I do not do anything extreme at all, so this thing breaks under v modest stress

Bottom Line:
It seems fine when it works and I am the only one in our group to have had issues. But 4 failing in just over 2 years, with only about 40 cross country miles a week? Fox needs to fix/ explain

Favorite Trail:   United Kingdom

Purchased At:   UK LBS

Bike Setup:   Trek ex8 (2010) - standard

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider from Soquel

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Great climbing uphill, plush on the downhill. This is a 2010 non-boost valve shock and it works great. It came with a high volume can and the standard one. I have tried it both ways and it is great either way.

Weaknesses:    Flipping lever..well not really

Bottom Line:
Buy this shock if you're a x-country or all mountain rider who pedals uphill. It works fantastic. If you're a down hiller or Free rider who walks up it would still work but why not buy a more substantial shock. For it's intended use it cannot be beat.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Loop

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Monarch, Flox float R, Giant branded shock

Bike Setup:   Jamis 650b2 nothing stock with Fox rp23

Submitted by pmoney a Downhiller from victoria,b.c.,canada

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    2012 Fox RP23 with Kashima and adaptive logic.Compression tune m,rebound tune m,velocity tune 175.Feels a lot better than my old xcish RP23

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
Huge difference in the feel pointing down.The shock instantly felt more linear than my old RP23.My old one was biased towards going up this one is biased towards going down.The Adaptive logic has the firm propedal setting then three settings for open,light and medium propedal.Open feels great it feels very linear and small bump is excellent.This is the RP23 that DHers have been wanting for there trail bikes.That being said it does suffer some in the climbing department,it seems to bob more than my old RP but it is not a huge difference.I am still playing with air pressures.Overall I am very pleased with this shock and would recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   platinum

Purchased At:   pinkbikeo

Similar Products Used:   Older model RP23,DHX5,RC4

Bike Setup:   Transition Covert

Submitted by jhammer a Cross Country Rider from Joplin Missouri

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good works good when it works

Weaknesses:    Failed less than 3 months

Bottom Line:
This at first seamed like a good shock did not take me long to tune to what I needed, but has broken in less than 3 months the blue lever is stuck and will not move to pro pedal and the shock all of the sudden is allot more active and is no longer adjustable.
I sucks I had there first gen fox float rear for years no issues on rebuild kit in 5 years of ridding then I had a Titus with the RP3 no issues ever so I was sold on Fox I purchased this Spearfish a few months ago a great bike by the way, I upgraded the rear shock to the Fox RP23 but what a disappointment they are not up to the same standards as the old shock bummer.
I'm about to see how there warranty process goes. If you by one good luck it seems that new is not always better.

Favorite Trail:   Womble

Similar Products Used:   RP

Bike Setup:   2011 Salsa Spearfish

Submitted by eshew a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    Works great when you get the right tune & air pressure

Weaknesses:    Way to many tunes make it difficult to make it work well with different bikes without trial & error.

Very little consistancy from year to year in terms of feel. BoostValve harshed my ride (could work well for different weights or geometry)

Bottom Line:
Good shock. Good adjustability.

Has 3 Compression and 3 Rebound tunes. If you buy the shock with a compression tune too low or high the shock sucks. If you get it right then it's great!

Now with the Boost Valve there is even more room for error. If you get the tune wrong the shock will either be too stiff or too plush.

I've got a 2009 RP23 that felt amazing but had a tendancy to botom out too easy. Aside from that the propedal worked awesome & it worked great for 95% of my riding.

Decided to upgrade to the new 2010 RP23 with boost valve, sadly it isnt as good as I thought it would be. The shocks have the same tune and the BV (2010) shock has a 175psi bv setting. Problem is the shock now feels too harsh through the entire travel & the propedal is not nearly as effective because the shock is so much stiffer when the pp is off. Overall not thrilled.

Way to much guesswork & luck involved.

I think I'm going to go back to my 09 shock & play with the volume spacers Fox sells to make the tail end of the travel more progressive.

Favorite Trail:   Growlers & Galby

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Fox (96)Alps 4, (07)Float R, (02)RL, 09 Rp2, 09 Rp23 & 2010 Rp23 w/ boostvalve.
Fox Vanilla RL, Romic, Avalanche DHS

Bike Setup:   2008 Kona Dawg frame, everything else custom.

Submitted by MBA a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    Looks cool, holds air so far.

Weaknesses:    Dials do nothing so far.

Bottom Line:
Came with my new bike. I have only 90 miles on it, but the shock dials do nothing. I went to my LBS, played with another bike that had the same shock, appeared to do nothing as well.

Break-in period?

Favorite Trail:   Noble

Purchased At:   Ellsworth

Similar Products Used:   '04 Fox Triad, works great.

Bike Setup:   '12 Ellsworth Ephipany, '12 Talas RLC, XO components.

Submitted by Haines Mountain Biker a Cross Country Rider from Haines, AK. US

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2011

Strengths:    Responsive, light, same air sleeve kit forever. Simple air sleeve rebuild. Excellent performance for XC. Can't live without a 3-way everyday but like she said, its complicated.

Weaknesses:    Rebuild every 50 hours?!? That's once every 5 weeks for me. Wife can't imagine why I'd like something so high maintenance. Rebuilt 4 times in 6 months due to awkward noises. Then the rebound crapped out and spewed fluid everywhere dramatically long way out. After pogo home I sent to Fox for repair. AKA bike out of commission for 3 weeks. Reliability is deplorable. I took a class on this in college, I'm an Engineer, It's called design life engineering. I'm looking for the Dodge Dart of shocks. You know the Ford Falcon of bounce. I live in rural Alaska, you know, no roads, no bike shops, only 5 passenger planes to take my broken bike parts back. Problem is planes are already full of broken bike parts from the other 10 people who ride here.

Bottom Line:
When are bike part suppliers going to look at our equipment from a safety perspective like climbing equipment. Reliability or trash. Working good for awhile and then catastrophically failing leaving you stranded in the wilderness...

Favorite Trail:   Paradise Royale

Purchased At:   Bingham Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Geez. All the way back to first Cannondale rear suspension in 1991. Lots of fox air and a few coil over. Seems like rebound is the part that always fails.

Bike Setup:   2011 SJ Comp 29.

Submitted by MCHEEN a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Strengths:    Great anti-squat (propedal) for going up, BUT that's ALL it got.

Weaknesses:    Really really not reliable, especially about the rebound and the propedal+rebound setting mechanizm. Crappy,,

Bottom Line:
It, works great for going up. Just ok when you are doing some light downhill. Poor reliability, i broke mine (rebound seal) after just 3 month (i'm a week end warrior), and 4 months after i sent it to fox for some repairment it broke again. My frien's got some leak at the propedal-rebound switch after a year,,

Purchased At:   BMTB