Fox Racing Shox Float RP2 Rear Shock

3.52/5 (21 Reviews)
Weight : 205 grams MSRP : $470.00

• High volume standard air sleeve
  • DOHC ProPedal Technology
  • Air spring pressure
  • Rebound adjust

Submitted by Skulltoy a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Strengths:    Simple, solid, and works. The Pro-pedal feels good and actually feels like it works on this one compared to an RP3 i have as well. I did pick it up used on ebay and expected to have it re-built soon but no problems at all yet.

Weaknesses:    None so far, other than maintenance and making sure the shaft is lubed and clean off the excessive dirt. I live in Colorado and dust/dirt is a huge problem and can cause issues.

Bottom Line:
I use to work in the automotive offroad industry. We could buy a coil-over shock (Racerunner or King Shock hand built shocks)for a rock buggy for $300 a piece, why does this little tiny thing cost so much retail new? The numbers don't add up?? I refused to pay full retail for something like this. Rant off. Bottom line is I paid $100 for this, it is a 2008 model, works great, and spent very little on it. I live 20 minutes from PUSH Ind. so it will go to them for a build when it does need it. I like this RP2 one better than my RP3 (now on the wife's bike even after I had it PUSH'ed)mainly because of the pro-pedal. I think FOX did some improvements on it in the couple years of time. My style of riding is ALL over, always looking for the path with some air and huckability, and this shock has just kept going like a trooper. Makes me feel good for only paying $100. :)

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi coil, Tough shock, Fox Float RP3

Bike Setup:   '11 RECOIL with all upgraded components

Submitted by joe_bloe a Cross Country Rider from Silver Spring

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Light, ProPedal works

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought this shock as overstock from an overseas seller. This is not the OEM fitment.

The Kona Kikapu is an older "faux-bar" single pivot design, which has a fair amount of pedal bob. I wanted a shock with a significant amount of platform valving, to counteract pedal bob uphill. The Fox Float RP2 was perfect in this regard -- the ProPedal switch firms up the back dramatically, making climbing much more efficient.

The downside with my setup is that I didn't research the leverage ratio on my frame. The Kikapu is a relatively low 1.9:1 leverage ratio on the linkage; a light compression shock would have been more appropriate for my application, but the medium is working out OK. It just isn't as "plush" as it could be.

Favorite Trail:   MD

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R, Rockshox Bar 2.1

Bike Setup:   Kona Kikapu, Marzocchi Corsa SL fork, Fox Float RP2 medium compression

Submitted by quax a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Good performance

Weaknesses:    Same issue as the previous reviewer: ProPedal lever fell off and no way to get replacement. Fox does not respond, either (e.g. German distributor)

Bottom Line:
Good product but better glue the lever with loctite.

Customer support seems to be poor globally. Quite pathetic given premium pricing by Fox.

Favorite Trail:   -

Purchased At:   -

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 8 (2011)

Submitted by motomike a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    Impressive features. Decent visual craftsmanship.

Weaknesses:    Overpriced. Poor quality. Non-user serviceable. No parts availaibility. Absolutely terrible, non-responsive Fox customer support. Propedal lever fell off and unable to get another one!

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike with this rear shock. Found it to be okay although I don't feel all the adjustments have much of an effect. Frankly I think this shock and its feature are overrated. The shock is overpriced. Most disappointed and discouraged now that the Propedal lever fell off. I have sent a few correspondence to Fox regarding getting another lever and so far found that there is zero customer support from Fox. I hate owning products with absolutely no customer support from the company. Unfortunately I am seeking a replacement now. Hopefully either a unit from a company that will stand behind their products or else a unit that I can service myself.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill

Purchased At:   Cycle Fit

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher HiFi 29'er

Submitted by msouthall669 a Racer from Bixby, Ok, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2010

Strengths:    Solid reponse, comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    Noise.

Bottom Line:
This shock came stock on my Hifi Deluxe. The very first ride at about mile 2, the shock began to creak. It made noise the whole ride especially since the terrain I ride is rocky. I took it to the LBS and they told me that it just needed to be lubricated, so they did. I took it out again the next day and within the first half mile, it started creaking again. I have taken it back again and the LBS is at a loss. It rides great other than the annoying noise.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mtn

Purchased At:   Trek Tulsa

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Hifi Deluxe

Submitted by Farmer Ted a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Pro-pedal works well, can get full travel out of it, rebound has good range of adjustment.

Weaknesses:    Way, way too much compression damping for me and there's no way to adjust it short of having a full Push custom rebuild on the thing. Doesn't really feel that 'plush' because of this. Air sleeve rebuilds are required too frequently in my opinion.

Bottom Line:
I've got around 600 miles on this shock (came on my Giant Anthem X2) and the more I ride it, the less I like it.

The problem that I have with it is that there's way too much compression damping built into it which really makes the shock less active over small bumps and leads to a rear end that's much less compliant. The rebound adjustment does work but I think the 'gaps' between the adjustment points are too big...I have one setting where it will buck me off the bike as it rebounds and then the next click 'slower' causes the shock to 'pack up' noticeably over smaller stutter-type bumps.

I like to have a very active and compliant rear end on the bike that gets full travel and makes the bumps disappear...this isn't doing it for me on the bike it's on. I have a DT SS190DL on my BMC Trailfox 01 and that shock is super active and just makes the trail disappear...I like it much better (By the way, both bikes use a virtual pivot suspension system so that factor should be somewhat the same when evaluating the two shocks.)

One thing I do like about the RP2 is that I can (mostly) get full travel out of it at close to the recommended sag setting and that's something that the DT shock won't do.

Another thing I dislike about the Fox is that it's supposed to get air sleeve maintenance pretty often. I ride in a dry/ desert like climate and take meticulous care of my bikes and this shock started getting all sticky and required seal replacement at around 350 miles which I think is just too often but fortunately it's easy and the kit is cheap.

Maybe it's just me/ my weight/ bike/ and riding style but this isn't doing it for me at the moment...I'll have to see if I can sort it out.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   OEM...Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   Older Float R, DT SSD 190L

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Anthem X2

Submitted by kavika a Weekend Warrior from Blenheim, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    Nice, plush shock, easily tunable, and pro pedal is great

Weaknesses:    Had nearly 2 years, but has had little use due to work commitments (as in less than 500km off road) and yet it already loses pressure between weekend rides.

Bottom Line:
Would be more than happy if it actually held pressure for more than a week, especially considering the small amount of use its had

Submitted by 00sable a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, Al.

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Strengths:    Works

Weaknesses:    A little soft on propedal

Bottom Line:
Much better than the old X-Fusion. The bike climbs way better in technical stuff and I don't get that bucking sensation on the low speed small bumps when seated.Only 4 chilis because of the soft PP. Great value though.Get it if you like a good bargain and need a good shock.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Chainreaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   rp23 X-Fusion 02

Bike Setup:   crappie fork

Submitted by hbomb86 a Downhiller from Upland, CA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Strengths:    absorbs bumps to big hits and is very tunable/adjustable
and pro pedal is great for climbing!

Weaknesses:    none as of now

Bottom Line:
started with a cannondale f5 hardtail and this full suspension bike has given the trail a whole new dimension when ridding

Favorite Trail:   Webb

Purchased At:   Competitive Edge

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Stock 2010 specialized pitch pro

Submitted by 04silverex a Weekend Warrior from la, ca, US

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    built very well and looks great

Weaknesses:    a little noise

Bottom Line:
Great product, changed out the Bar 2.1 for the RP2 and it just changed my bike for the better, climbs like my old hardtail and it was great going down hill!!! just need to upgrade my front fork and I am done!

Favorite Trail:   any trail is great

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox BAR 2.1

Bike Setup:   GT-IDrive 5

Submitted by tom21howard a Cross Country Rider from england

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    works mint!

Weaknesses:    my pro pedals giving me problems

Bottom Line:
i really like it, works well for the trail riding that i do, no problems apart from the pro pedal is playing up abit, but easy job to fix, good product!

Favorite Trail:   sherwood pines

Purchased At:   with bike

Bike Setup:   kona kingkikapu

Submitted by marki3boy a Weekend Warrior from Wales

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Strengths:    Light, adjustable rebound, selectable propedal

Weaknesses:    Air valve is hard to access, as it's partially obscured by the linkage.

Bottom Line:
This shock has completely transformed my bike, climbing is now much easier with the propedal switched on.
Going downhill I haven't noticed any difference between the RP2 and my old coil shock.
If you don't notice anything, then the suspension is doing its job.

Favorite Trail:   Brechfa / Whites / Millers / Kilvey

Purchased At:   Merlin cycles

Bike Setup:   A big, bouncy bike, with wheels and that...

Submitted by Jules Evans a Cross Country Rider from hobart, tas

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Strengths:    function

Weaknesses:    -

Bottom Line:
This shock is great. It does everything it is supposed to do. With the propedal switched on it really feels like my hardtail until I come to a bump, then the shock soaks it up. It has taken me a while to get the pressure settings right but now my bike rides like a hardtail when I want it to and then flick the switch and turn rough into smooth. Some reviewers here have complained about the shock being either too hard, too soft or the propedal not making a difference. I am sure that they just need to adjust the pressure for their weight and riding style. As for the sticking down, I hope that never happens to me, it sounds like a real drag. Probably just a buggered seal though.

Purchased At:   Ken Self