Fox Racing Shox Float RL Rear Shock

3.15/5 (72 Reviews)

Anyone worldwide may purchaseThis Fox Racing Shox product, however,the delivery address must be insideThe United States.Proven Fox performance andTechnology forThe accomplished athlete or beginner - and everything in between. Proven FoxTechnology Lever actuated lockout Adjustable rebound and air spring pressure Approximate weight 210 grams(6.5" x 1.5") Note: Reducers/mounting hardware is NOT included. A kit issometimes, but not always needed, depending on your frame andTheTypeof rear shock you a

Submitted by Eckstream1 a Weekend Warrior from Reading, Pa USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    Not a bad value for the price... Came on my D build Santa Cruz Nickel. Has held up to AM riding...

Weaknesses:    Not very adjustable... But hey, it's a cheap shock.

Bottom Line:
Not bad for the price...

Andy
Eckstream1@aol.com

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Penn/Neversink

Purchased At:   Came on my Santa Cru

Bike Setup:   D build Santa Cruz

Submitted by xserret a Cross Country Rider from Brussels, BE

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    Works fine for 96kg rider in all XC conditions.

Weaknesses:    Needs to be re-pressurized often. Tunning must be done at manufacturing.

Bottom Line:
This shock works well at my weigh, but it is at its limits (dampening in particular). Came tunned to "medium", probably will work better if could be tunned to hard.
Cannot say if pro-pedal is helpful at my weigh and power-input as I'm sure 90% anti-bob comes from the frame itself

Favorite Trail:   FdS

Purchased At:   KM10

Similar Products Used:   DT-Swiss

Bike Setup:   Kraftstoff X2 + 96 kg

Submitted by eshew a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely reliable, set & forget, no leaking air, no rebuilding, just ride, ride, ride!

If you need a rebuild of the seals, $15 gives you all the seals necessary & youtube shows you how to rebuild it in 10 minutes, no tools required if the shock is already off the bike.

The Lockout feature is fantastic, although ProPedal now does a great job of giving a stable pedaling platform while still soaking up big bumps.

Weaknesses:    My shock is an older model without pro pedal.

Bottom Line:
Fox Float shocks were great before ProPedal. With ProPedal they are absolutly AMAZING. Seriously if you are in the market for a used fox float make sure you're buying one with PP. Also make sure you watch the "tune" of the shocks comression & rebound. This makes a huge difference in how the shcok performs on your bike. Getting the right tune will make or break the performance.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith

Purchased At:   Came with used frame

Similar Products Used:   Fox vanilla RC, Avalnce DHS, Fox Float R, RP2, RP23, Romic

Bike Setup:   1996 Kona Sex One, all parts upgraded except the frame.

Submitted by eggzilla a Cross Country Rider from Manhattan, KS

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight build saves on grams. Small diameter leaves room for your water bottle. The seal system retains pressure well. Has a plush rebound if that's what you like, but Propedal can easily be switched on for hill climbing. Easy to overhaul yourself in less than an hour and the Fox rebuild kit costs seven or eight bucks.

Weaknesses:    Short stroke means that it bottoms out a little quicker. Fox's recommended rebuild every 40 hours is a bit of a pain, but if you ride in the dirt it's worth it. The rebuild kit is cheap and overhauling the shock can be done quickly.

Bottom Line:
Great little shock that does what it's supposed to and stands up well to dirt, dust, mud, and whatever else the trail can throw at it. Don't abuse it though. The instruction instruction video on YouTube recommends a rebuild every 40 hours of trail riding and it's necessary, especially if you ride hard.

Favorite Trail:   Fancy Creek

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek AD-5

Bike Setup:   Kona Four Supreme frame, Fox Float RL 100 fork, Fox Float RL rear shock, Mavic XM317 rims with WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs, XT drivetrain and hydraulic dual control shifters, Chris King headset, Thompson stem, Easton EA70 seatpost, Specialized BG saddle with manganese rails, Shimano pedals, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1" tires, Salsa Juegos de Fuego grips

Submitted by dr crazy frankenstien mou a Cross Country Rider from foco,colorado,usa

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    seems to always be there. Enough suspension to hide most bumps and rocks. Tough as mick jagger's liver. Lockout feature is as stiff as a diamond in a hail storm. Easy switch to lock out. Easy valve.

Weaknesses:    Either i did something wrong or its the shock but it seems pressure dives after a week. Yet to find a sweet spot with the rebound. Not enough travel to take big drops or hit rocks with speed.

Bottom Line:
I like it but at some point i need to replace it. Mostly takes care of itself not much maitnance needed. Easy lock out that is always rock solid. But im afraid that if i take too many hits with lock out engaged i may do some internal damage. However i do really like the propedal for flats when i open the shock up. If seeing to purchase this shock to replace an exhisting one (instead go nicer) but dont be afraid to buy a bike equipped with this shock.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Bike Setup:   Jamis dakar xc pro

Submitted by bmalachuk a Cross Country Rider from Colonie, Ny

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    Works well
Easy to rebuild
Seems to be holding up well to my 210lb ass and a full load of water, pump, spare tubes, tools ect...

Weaknesses:    Can get the stuck down situation if not taken care of
Have to maintain it - i suppose

Bottom Line:
The shock works, provided you set it up the way it needs to be for your frame. I would love to find a deal on a 6.00x1.25 Fox RP23 cause I think the pro-pedal feature would eliminate the little bit of movement my frame has when pedaling. pump up to 250psi, pull off pump, gives me about 220-230psi in the shock. Full weight with clothes, pack,water, and myself is about 220-230ish. Get the perfect amount of GT prescribed rear shock sag, and I'm off. Have to readjust the PSI downward as I drop winter flab, but that's a good thing.

sent the shock in for fox to do a warranty rebuild back about 6 years ago, as it was making a squeaking noise. Been great up till this season when it would loose air, bout 25psi an hour of riding. Rebuilt it myself for $13, still lost air, till i popped the schrader valve out and replaced the o-ring that seals to the aluminum body. $.09 at the hardware store (was not in the air sleeve kit) Holds air like a champ now, and I guess my rebuild was for not. Saved the parts though so if I need to rebuild again I have parts.

Could do the rebuild again in 10 minutes, first time took 20-25 cause I was putzing around. Super easy to do, dare I say a trained monkey could do it.

Guess on some frames one could b i t c if your frame requires you to run a low pressure, and you experience a stuck down situation. I was told to set mine to my body weight provided I weighed less than 300lbs. I've never bottomed this shock out as far as I know, especially at the pressures I run. perhaps that is why this shock has been so solid for my use?

Favorite Trail:   Varies

Purchased At:   Came with my Idrive

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox rear air shock, Coil spring rear shocks

Bike Setup:   2001 GT Idrive Team still rocking 7 seasons of use, 2002 Psylo SL (yeah I know it's way more fork than this frame needs)
FSA Cranks, Avid BB7's, Shimano XTR Rapid Rise Rear, XT front, SRAM chain, SRAM rear cog, XT hubs, Easton monkey-lite bars. Could keep going.... weighs in around 26lbs IIRC

Submitted by mckshred a Cross Country Rider from desert southwest

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    Works like a champ. Never failed. Lockout is exactly what it says. Used Lockout on the fly 100's of times.

Weaknesses:    - It did require the typical minor rebuild for $20 at my LBS after riding it for 4 years.
- Too many rebound setting clicks from open to closed.
- Can accidentally hit the lockout lever with your leg occassionally.

Bottom Line:
I do not have one bad thing to say about this product after 6 years of high usage. I am a 165lb. cross-country rider.

Favorite Trail:   Mrazek

Purchased At:   stock on Intense

Similar Products Used:   RP23, Fox Alps4, Fox Talas Fork, Rock Shox Duke Fork

Bike Setup:   2 wheels, a frame, seat, bars, grips, chain and sprocket.

Submitted by R-DUB a Weekend Warrior from SEATTLE, WA, US

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, manual lockout

Weaknesses:    Lightweight, cannot self-service

Bottom Line:
Shock came stock on my Specialized Enduro and has worked as well as to be expected for mid-range bike. Still isn't leaking air, as others report on this site. I weigh 225lbs and set the shock at about 200-225psi, but don't ride more than a dozen times a year so maybe that's the reson I've had good experience with it. Only problem I've had is that just recently it's getting gummy on the sealing surface - not sure from what.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mtn

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2008

Strengths:    Works well, is adjustable (maybe overly adjustable - who needs 35 clicks?), never leaks air, never needs maintenance.

Bottom Line:
I weight 180 and ride pretty hard. But I don't do big jumps or drops and so do not ask a whole lot from the shock. (I don't think I would want an air shock if I were doing drops anyway.) Still it never leaks air. I check it with a pump/gauge every 6 months or so to make sure it's at 120 psi (my setting). But so far I have never seen it lower than 115 psi - and this was only 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years. I was going to relube it a couple years ago but the guy at the LBS said: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Seems to make sense, so I never have done anything to it.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2008

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by raph from CA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    its smooth and the travel adjust works

Weaknesses:    leaks, bottoms out and lock out kinda sucks

Bottom Line:
not for my use, jumping and technil stuff. It will loose air and then for the rest of the ride yuo will not have active rear suspension. so bring your pump.