Fox Racing Shox Float R 03 Rear Shock

3.24/5 (33 Reviews)

adjustable rebound control

Submitted by Blameitonus a Racer from Middleton, WI, US

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    I enjoy how plush the ride is, and you don't get any feeling what so ever of bottoming out. I also like how it holds up(for the most part) to the 5+ foot drops im doing.
(Yes, i do realize this is a XC shock, but i keep it at about 260 psi, and when your only 142lbs, its almost overkill.)

Weaknesses:    Over all, I say that the adjustibily is lacking, and no lockout is a problem, but fortunately, Fox does make a model with these features. Also, I've had a few issues with it retaning air, thus its a hassel to bring a pump along.

Bottom Line:
Good shock, however, deffinitly has its fair share of flaws. Considering the fact that i have a desire to upgrade, it clearly isn't the ideal shock. However, i am riding it realitilvly aggressivly, and it is almost holding up. Good shock, for a begginer.

Favorite Trail:   Quarry Park

Purchased At:   Budget Bicycle Cente

Bike Setup:   Trek 2004 fuel 90 with cantilevered rear suspension, Shimano xt drivetrain.

Submitted by Very Dissatisfied a Weekend Warrior from Camarillo, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Fox Rear air shocks get "stuck" closed, and will not extend. It is a common enough issue that they give a warning for this issue in their owner's manual! Customer service was just plain BAD. The rep was extremely belittling and rude. He even admitted it is a problem on a lot of their shocks, but that it's "too bad" and they can't do anything. They do not honor their product.

Bottom Line:
This is an angry rant, however it is for a good reason.

After reading numerous reviews on the problems of the Fox rear shocks, especially the Float R, I got my by, with hopes that those problems, and the bad batch of O-Rings had passed. Well I was wrong. On what was supposed to be my first ride with my new bike, riding out of the parking lot, my shock got the all to common "stuck". Ride over. Took the shock off and took it the bike shop, where they said it would be warrantied, no questions asked. 2 weeks later, I get the call to pick up the shock, so I show up and get CHARGED $130! WTF!!! So I talk to the bike shop owner and he said they thought it was warrantied and got charged by Fox. There was no write-up to what was done, nothing. All I know is that I didn't even get a ride on it they would not back their product. So I got the number to call Fox and the customer service rep was rude, belittling, and said it's too bad. He admitted that it happens on the Fox shocks, but said there is nothing they can do. Had I known there would be a charge, I never would have sent it in - it would have either gone to Push or in the trash where it belongs.

In today's day and age, it would seem that companies would want to have good customer service to keep people happy, especially when it's a HUGE DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING FLAW on their junk products. Maybe Fox thinks they are big enough that they could care less about keeping their customers happy.

I will do everything I can to ensure that nobody I know uses a Fox product. I will stick with Cane Creek and Marzocchi - both which back their products, because they have good products.

Purchased At:   Came On Bike

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Cloud 9, Fox Vanilla R

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Rock Ringle a Downhiller from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2007

Strengths:    plush

Weaknesses:    Too light

Bottom Line:
dope shock, buy it used so it's worn in, even if it's busted, it'll get repaired and become blastproof. takes a-line and flying circus like a dhx 5.0

Favorite Trail:   Freight Train

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Progressive, Manitou, Fox, Rockshox R2, Marz Roco

Bike Setup:   Rock Mountain RM7, Sherman Slider Plus SPV, Double Tracks, Hayes Purple with 8inch Juicy 9Prototype Rotors, Sram X9, Yeti Lock-On, Hussefelt stem, Holzfeller bar, Raceface Evolve, Dura-Ace BB, Truv Boxguide, V-Sixty Pedals, Raceface Prodigy crankset

Submitted by Malcolm a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    Plush... air preload does resonably well

Weaknesses:    weak and unreliable

Bottom Line:
This shock came stock on the idrive, but I get the feeling that it was placed there more because of frame limitations as opposed to it being a quality shock. Air shocks are not meant for riding that... really requires a rear shock. The design can only handle a certain preload, so if you're a larger rider or you run into ruff terrain, then this shock will not work for you(you will blow the seals or bottom out the shock). I blew out the seals twice within weeks of each other (the first time was simply practicing wheelies on my driveway (that's how weak this shock is). This shock will work long term ONLY for reletively flat dirt paths. I'm pretty sure anything more "extreme" would wear out the seals too quickly. Performace bike (where I usually get my bike repaired) told me that the average lifespan certain parts in this shock is less than a year. If you want a more durable shock, get a sealed oil damper/spring type shock.

Favorite Trail:   paid in full, Keystone

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   other fox

Bike Setup:   modified Gt idrive 5

Submitted by sam higgins a Cross Country Rider from stockton-on-tees

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    Strong and good rebound

Weaknesses:    not much travell evan for cross country

Bottom Line:
This is a great sus but just a little more give and ill be happy

Favorite Trail:   dalby forest

Purchased At:   bike scene

Similar Products Used:   rock shox nlr

Bike Setup:   specializes s-works carbon fibre

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Never had a rear shock, works pretty good for me at 70psi

Weaknesses:    Looses air almost every other day, and i ride every morning. Not sure why gotta talk to fox.

Bottom Line:
I dont like that it doesnt have a lockout, next one i look for will, plus it leaks air.

Bike Setup:   06 Kona Dawg Deluxe

Submitted by P a Cross Country Rider from ATL

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    This review is for the 2007 model. Propedal is incredible upgrade coming from the non-propedal version of this shock. Very plush, easy to tune.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2007 Propedal Float R. I have a Titus RX100 with the RP3. I actually like the added features of the RP3 but this shock works very very well and is well over $100.00 less. Considering the performance to cost ratio, I would have gone with the Float R over the RP3.

This replaced the non-propedal float R on my El Salty. I can not tell you how much better this bike rides now. It was slightly POGO before and I lost traction all the time when I was "out of the seat" climbing. When climbing now, there is very little bob now and the tires hook the ground instead of slipping. Dont know how they engineered this drastic of a change in performance in this short of time but I'm here to tell you that the Propedal is no joke.

Favorite Trail:   Shutes - Fruita

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Brain, RP3, Float R w/o Propedal

Bike Setup:   2000 Ventana El Saltamontes (4 inch), F110RLC, king, X9, Mavic, Thomson, XTR cranks, SD7's.

Submitted by Head Shot a Weekend Warrior from RSA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2006

Strengths:    '05 Float R - nicely manufactured and has a quality look and feel. Rebound control easy to acces on the fly and really works. Has never leaked and been 100% reliable but...

Weaknesses:    Has developed a metallic knocking noise from the shock internals on 3 ocassions. After a while you can't stand riding the bike for the noise. Shock still works, but I've never left it for long enough to see if it developes into something worse and had it fixed under warranty at no charge. Now out or warranty and waiting for the local agents excuse "its out of warranty". As far as I am concerned Fox is being let down by its local agents who try and avoid warranty replacement at all costs and waste time with repairs that last on average 2,5 months. I am sick of the problems. My bike is not used that often and the F100 R fork has been fine. After more than a year, I'm still on my original drivetrain - thats how little riding I've been able to do

Bottom Line:
If the damn shock would simply stay quiet I'd be well pleased. It has performed well, handles all I have thrown at it never loses air and the rebound control is all I could ask for. The noise has been explained to me as a loose washer/shim on the piston. Why it happens is anybodies guess, the local agents have no clue and clearly can't stop it happening. I want a new RP23 please :)

Favorite Trail:   The secret test track - CT RSA

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   Unique to SA Raleigh RDS 7 mono pivot trail/marathon bike. Fox F100R fork, XT dual controls, XT drivetrain and hubs with Mavic XC717 Disc wheels, Larsen TT 's with Stans, SDG Ibeam post and seat, Ritchey cockpit, Polar S520 HRM/bike computer.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT USA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    The shock seal has gone out twice. The first time was about three days after purchasing my brand new bike. Fox repaired the shock and sent it back 99% sure it would not go out again. Now, several months later the seal failed again. Fox is replacing the seal once again but will only offer a 90 day warrenty. THE SHOCK FAILS AND PUTS YOU TWO WEEKS OUT OF RIDING AT A TIME.

Bottom Line:
DON'T BUY THE FLOAT RP3! JUNK!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Cottonwood

Purchased At:   Owenhouse

Similar Products Used:   Hard tail bikes!

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Switch SL, Hayes nine brakes, Sram X-9, Race Face cranks, Marzocchi Bombers, FOX FLOAT RP3 BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Weaknesses:    no lock out, but you know that before you buy

Bottom Line:
This rear shock works and doesn't jam up on you. if it every bottoms out and gets stuck all you do is empty the air and filler back up. Only happened once, but I did a pretty hard jump on it.

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Ridgecrest

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2006

Strengths:    nice and sensitive, rebound adjustment complements a wide range of pressures. bit of propedal damping

Weaknesses:    not too progressive. i jump a bit so it bottoms easily unless the pressure is higher.

Bottom Line:
this is the '05 float r. its preset propedal is nce for long climbs. not too great for jumpers, get a manitou spv4-way or dhx air. overall a good shock.

Purchased At:   came on bike @ Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   rockshox bar on brother's bike (yuck)

Submitted by marshalll robins a Cross Country Rider from san jose

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    It is very soft and is a good value. Ridin rocky singletrack in the hills in the bay area is a lot easier.

Weaknesses:    It does seem to get a little sticky when it is cold and kinda makes a little skeaking noise but it is not an air leak.

Bottom Line:
ITs a great shock that is pretty durable. Its lasting on my bike but I only weigh 145lbs so I your a bigger guy I would recomend that you get a dhx 5.0(another good shock)

Favorite Trail:   eucalyptas trail santa cruz

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher Sugar

Submitted by mark brown a Weekend Warrior from nottinghamshire

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    good for 10 months

Weaknesses:    seals are no good in cold weather( we live in britain for gods sake)

Bottom Line:
mojo has got a problem and don't want to put it right. who else is to blame???????

Favorite Trail:   sherwood pines

Similar Products Used:   none tried up to yet

Bike Setup:   marin rock springs(2005) hayes disc and fox forks, just as it came from shop

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from East Hartford, CT USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2006

Strengths:    Transformed the ride of my 2004 Haro X-1 dramatically!

Weaknesses:    None so far. I have heard a lot about shocks having lots of problems, we will have to see with time.

Bottom Line:
I have heard a lot about the quality of this shock. I have a float on my FSR-XC and have had no problemos whatso ever in 5 years, thats why I decided to go with Fox again, plus fairly reasonable price for a new air shock. It has changed the ride quality, ( for XC). Its not even the same bike. Where I ride is very rocky singletrack, with lots of wash board tree roots, so this bike floats over all this now. So, btm line is... I would like to get 5 years service from this shock, but even if I had to rebuild each season, that would be worth the ride quality benifits.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mtn.

Purchased At:   Bicycles East

Similar Products Used:   X-Fusion crap that came stock.

Bike Setup:   Time ATAC pedals, MonkeyLite carbon bars, now the new air shock. Large front sprocket removed, Specialixed stem.

Submitted by Petzl a Cross Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2006

Strengths:    Reliable, no-nonsense

Weaknesses:    None except for missing a lockout.

Bottom Line:
I used my bike mostly for rough XC ride and sometimes freeride.
I always use a skin to protect the rear shock, so that it's no so vulnerable for dust and dirt! Everybody should do that! It's quite logical that otherwise it won't last long!
You can pump it till 20 bar, so also for "heavy" riders.
It does bobbing (a little bit), but that's normal for a shock with no lockout-lever! But in rough terrain you don't need/use a lockout!
It's a great pity that people who discover problem on their first rides, when warranty is provided, still take apart the shock themselves (mostly as non-experts) and then discover that they will be charged for repair-costs to solve the problem(s).
It can always happen that you have a shock with too less grease on the seals or something like this, so that it will leak air. Then it is the full responsibility of the manufacturer, so it has to go back!! Pity that you have to wait several weeks, if the dealer cannot service it (they mostly can!), but you're free of charge and finally it's the best option!

Favorite Trail:   Luxembourg (petite Suisse)

Purchased At:   Apeldoorn