Fox Racing Shox Float CTD Rear Shock

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

New for 2013 the Fox Float CTD Factory Shock sets a new standard in suspension technology. CTD is a simple and intuitive method for controlling the suspension characteristics on the bike. CTD stands for: Climb, Trail and Descend. Each setting corresponds to the various trail conditions to allow the rider to make on the fly adjustments. The Float CTD shock has a firmer climb setting for more efficient climbing.

Submitted by daniel

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2014

Strengths:    they look great and there tougher than a coil

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
I evern put it on my pee wee 50 and its great

Submitted by Pearson Richards a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2014

Strengths:    For how small it is, it can handle the bigger drop off's.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found one.

Bottom Line:
I have this shock on my 1998 RFX Turner and it Works great. I ride my bike daily and the CTD system works great for endure riding! If you like endure riding or hardcore downhilling it will do both!

Favorite Trail:   Gear Jammer

Submitted by Cameron Dempster

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    Absorbs bumps in the trails.

Weaknesses:    No difference noted between Climb and Trail. Maybe the shock is faulty and my LBS haven't picked up on it yet.

Bottom Line:
I have this shock fitted to my Giant Trance 29er. Selector lever frequently comes loose. I can't tell the difference between Climb and Trail. I have even firmed up the pressure but still no luck. I took my bike into my LBS and was told that was the way it was meant to be. I checked out the same shock on a lesser travel Anthem and the Climb setting was nice and tight with little travel. LBS said this was because of the difference in the shock travel between the Trance and the Anthem (4 in vs 5 in). Anyway, if that's the case then this shock is very pedestrian. I was bored with it within the first few weeks.

Submitted by MTBeing

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2013

Strengths:    After a factory rebuild it works really well! CTD is distinctive and works as advertised. Very smooth now.

Weaknesses:    Seals blew after 50 miles of Arizona trail riding. Before a rebuild, the CTD lever felt loose and sloppy. CTD not right from the factory.

Bottom Line:
The shock never felt 'right' from the get-go but I was new to full suspension so I chocked it up to needing a break-in period and my noobishness. Took my new bike to the lbs for some minor adjustments and the mech pointed out oil pooling around the o-ring. A lot of oil. Anyways, sent it to Fox and two weeks later it came back as a totally different animal. I even noticed it felt different in the bike shop. On the trail it felt really good. Fox reworked the whole CTD damper, along with a bunch of other stuff, and I give them credit for not just replacing seals and calling it good.

I'm pleased now with the shock but I'm not giving this more than 3 chilis. If it rode in the beginning like it does now, I'd give it 5. I expect more from the Fox brand and it's apparent that their production quality controls need to improve. Would I but Fox again? Heck yea.

Submitted by dantmanbiking

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2012

Strengths:    When it was working it was Awsome!

Weaknesses:    Blew after an hour and a half of riding on terrain that I have ridden as fast on my hard tail. RUBBISH!!!

Bottom Line:
Shock came on my SB66C which I got to ride for the first time today. Everything was going well til a massive crack came from the back end, thought the frame had gone to be fair but upon investigation at the bottom of the hill there was no damping what so ever.

I have no doubt it will get sorted but pretty poor show from Fox.

Submitted by the mayor a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Good settings right out of the box.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm running this on a Lenz Leviathan 4.
I ordered it with firm compression and climb tune.
My original shock was the RP23 with Boost Valve..that I hated because of weak pedal platform and compression damping.Sent it to Push...who removed the B/V and revalved...and I loved the shock.

The new CTD shock works very good...on par with the RP23 that I had Push tuned.
The Descend setting is about the same as Open on the RP23
Trail is about the same as #2 Pro Pedal setting on a Pushed RP23...except a little smoother.
Climb setting...when off the bike, feels like a lock out...but while riding, because of blow off circuit, rides very firm...but still works very well. Think of it as a race bike feel ....like a Salsa Dos Nine or a Specialized Epic.
So far...I like it.

Purchased At:   JRA Cycles Medofrd,

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP23 w/Boost Valve
Fox RP23
Rock Shox Monarch 4.2
DT Swiss

Fox Float CTD Shock Issue?

Hoping for some guidance or help. I have a new Float CTD with Boost Valve on my SB66 with about 4 weeks of riding. Since new, in the initial stroke of the shock at about 5-10mm there is a change in resistance and the compression increases. I do not notice while riding, and the shock is very plush, b ... Read More »

2013 Blur LTc Fox Float CTD tune

Can any Blur LTc rider with a Float CTD tell me what's the velocity tune on your shock? Thanks a lot!Read More »

Paid spam: Fox Float CTD 29" fork, 15QR/taper, $475, brand new

See ad here: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=87457]2013 Fox Float CTD 100 29er fork. 15QR/taper. New! - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] -WaltRead More »

Replace fox brain shock with fox float CTD

Hello I have Specialized Epic EVO 2011. Has anyone tried to replace the specialized fox brain with fox float CTD or something similar? I am just curious if this is possibleRead More »

2014 Fox Float CTD 34 140mm Vs. 2013 Fox Talas CTD 160mm on a new HDR650

I have the option to go either way on my new build. We mostly ride technical singletrack with some aggressive rocky sections. I've read the 2014 damping system was greatly improved by Fox; is this worth giving up the extra 20mm of travel and the Talas feature? I appreciate your responses!Read More »