Fox Racing Shox DHX Air 3.0 Rear Shock

• Adjustable air spring pressure
  • Rebound adjust

Submitted by Mesozoic a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    Functions well when functional.

Weaknesses:    Leaking oil from the moment it was purchased, already installed on bike.

Bottom Line:
This shock suffers from terrible assembly right out of the factory. Multiple O-rings were pinched upon assembly, causing it to leak big time. Eventually, lost ability to consistently provide damping. Not recommended.

Purchased At:   Different Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Fox DHX 4.0, Fox Float

Bike Setup:   Devinci Hectik w/Fox Float R 36 fork, DHX 3.0 Air rear

Submitted by jack from arizona

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    When its working it works very well. Good range of ajustibility.

Weaknesses:    The shock has broken three times in 10 months. The first time i hadn't even gotten out of the shop with my new bike, befor it started leaking massive amounts of oil. The second time about 3 weeks after i had brought it home the rebound dampening just stoped doing anything so the shock rebounded very quickly. The third time it broke the rebound knob got stuck in the lowest position. Also fox is horrible in honoring there warrant they try to weasle their way out of any repairs and try to find excuses to not fix there poorly built product. If i didn't have such a great mechanic at the bike shop i go to theres no way it would have gotten fixed. But the mechanic even had to spend a few days geting fox to fix it because there such jerks.

Bottom Line:
The shock works well while its working, but thats not often. Also its very dificult to get fox to honor their warranty.

Purchased At:   fairwheel bikes

Bike Setup:   07 specialized enduro, pretty much stock.

Submitted by DC a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    It was performing well until....

Weaknesses:    STUCK DOWN. Fox should pay attention to these posts.

Bottom Line:
This shock lasted exactly three rides before becoming stuck down. I have come to expect a lot more from Fox and have had no problems with my other Fox products. I will be going to the shop tomorrow and we'll see what happens after the service is done. If this happens again, I too will be knocking on Fox's door looking for a replacement. I would strongly not recommend this product.

Favorite Trail:   Pidherny

Purchased At:   Northern Hardware

Similar Products Used:   Float RL, RP23

Bike Setup:   2007 Norco Six 3 which came with the "upgrade" of a DHX Air 3.0.

Submitted by Awais Shah a Downhiller from St.albert

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    it is good for the first while
really nice in apearnce

Weaknesses:    it tends to i guess bottom out reall easy i think its just the way i ride but i think after rinding for 8 hours stright it started to heat up and i relized that i lost travel

Bottom Line:
i am defiantly gonna replace this pice of crap!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Mount Washington

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   ??

Bike Setup:   i use a 07 Norco six Two

Submitted by morgan thurlow from perth,australia

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    all up it is a good shol, it has good rebound for a standard and is easy to tune

Weaknesses:    STUCK DOWN

Bottom Line:
all up it is great, i didnt even to get to see the shokx full potential, i had the bike for 1 day with only 2 hours riding and all of a sudden stuk down!!!!

Favorite Trail:   goatfarm

Purchased At:   a shop

Bike Setup:   specilized enduro, minor mods-(pedals,bars,gears)

Submitted by Norman B a Weekend Warrior from Dieppe, New Brunswick

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2007

Strengths:    very plush feeling, light, adjustable

Weaknesses:    stuck down still exists in a 2007 model!?!?!?!?!

Bottom Line:
This shock felt great for the first few rides. I followed the manual to the T, and it had been pre-set at the LBS. I had done some small drops, nothing bigger than 3ft so far and it felt great. I'm a big rider @ 220lbs.

Then the 'stuck down' happened. After a night of playing around and doing some 3ft drops, I noticed the stroke seemed kinda short. After some investigating I realized I was short by 1/2" on the Eye to Eye.

I made a call to Fox and to OGC on Montreal, seems it is an 'O' ring issue, that once it's replaced OGC says I should have no future probs. But after reading some of these earlier posts, I'm kinda nervous about the shock coming back....

Fox says it's rare occurence but it seems it's been happening alot on here. I realize some of these posts are old but come on, it's 2007 and still this 'stuck down' issue continues. If OGC can't eliminate this issue, I'll be kncking on Fox's door with my DHX air in hand, looking for a DHX coil replacement.

A real shame cause I was luving it till this happened.

Favorite Trail:   Mt St Anne..Vietnam

Purchased At:   Savages

Bike Setup:   07 Norco Six 2, Marz AM 4, SRAM X7, Avid 3 hydro's, Sun Black EyE wheelset

Submitted by J Ryce a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2006

Strengths:    Pretty responsive for a standard shock. Easy to tune. Good rebound

Weaknesses:    Poor quality. It only took about 10 rides before the shock got stuck down. I ride aggressively but no big jumps or big drop offs. This "stuck Down" issue is an ongoing problem, so much so that Fox makes mention of it in their 06 manual...not a good sign. I was warned about this problem by some friends before purchasing it but I figured they were just ignorami, I guess I'm the ignoramus.

Bottom Line:
If you do any moderately aggressive riding then I would bypass this shock. It's no fun being without a bike for 2-3 weeks while you wait for your sucky shock to get un-stuck by the schmucks who made a shock that sucked. When it worked, it worked well but it just doesn't seem durable enough.

Favorite Trail:   Sugarloaf