Fox Racing Shox DHX 3.0 Rear Shock

• Coil spring preload
  • Rebound adjust

Submitted by norcorider95 a Downhiller from London, England

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    air adjust, quite plush, looks good, cheap, easy to get hold of replacements

Weaknesses:    expensive to service, need regular services because damping just goes and shock bottoms out.

Bottom Line:
overall good, but probably worth buying a dhx 5 or going to a van rc i reckon.

Favorite Trail:   Aston hill 4-2-3

Purchased At:   Pinkbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Vanilla r, Van R, rockshox vivid

Bike Setup:   Specialized big hit fsr 1 2010 with marz 66's, fox dhx 3, hope pro 2 hubs, mavic ex729 rim, crankbros 5050x pedals, sunline bars, nukeproof seat, holzfeller cranks, gravity stem, avid elixir brakes,E13 ls1+ chain device

Submitted by MATOS a Downhiller from Portugal

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Strengths:    plush, strong, easy to tune, price

Weaknesses:    pro pedal doesn't work as good as you'd thought to

Bottom Line:
its a good shock, a good value for your money and it works good, if you dont push it

Favorite Trail:   everything

Bike Setup:   boxxer team, dhx 3.0, truvativ ruktion, scott high octane 2007 frame

Submitted by rockyflowtbay a Downhiller from London ON Canada

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    Simple, pretty easy set up. Feels great.

Bottom Line:
Great product, has felt good and been a staple on my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mine

Purchased At:   Used on bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Monarch

Bike Setup:   Rocky Switch, Marz 66, Raceface

Submitted by dirtfreak a Downhiller from Mississauga Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2010

Strengths:    Great Controls easy to set up strong as hell

Weaknesses:    the 400x2.80 spring is way to soft I had to put a little to much air in the thing until i was able to find a stiffer spring

Bottom Line:
one of the best shocks I've ever used, i would recommend it to anyone from beginner to World Cup riders

Favorite Trail:   A-Line, Scorpian Thunder

Purchased At:   came with second han

Similar Products Used:   manitou Metal, Swinger4, Rocco

Submitted by Messy a Downhiller from London

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Strengths:    Quite cheap for the quality. Useful adjustments that work. Easy set up. Quite lightweight compared to some DH shocks.

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
I have used this product for the first time today, as it was replacing my old manitou metel. The differences between the two are just phenominal. The fox is so plush and smooth to ride, when the back of my bike used to bounce a bit over roots, and kick me off the lips of jumps. This shock feels like it has less compression damping than the manitou, which is great. The shock feels really active at all times, and absorbs small bumps even when you are pedalling with the platform pressure high. It is also really easy to set up, as the adjustments are simple and easy to use. Just preload, rebound, and the boost valve to think about. The boost valve controls the propedal and the progressiveness of the shock. This means with high pressure you can get great pedalling and a bottomless feel, and run the preoad spring off a bit for a seriously plush feeling. I feel this is plenty of adjustment, and unles you are a serious racer who knows exactly how to set one up, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the DHX 5.0. This uses the same body and is just as plush. And the grip this thing generates in the corners is amazing... I never knew changing my shock would improve my cornering so much.It just squats perfectly into berms, even if there are a lot of braking bumps, it just generates the grip from nowhere.

Bottom line, the best money I have ever spent on my bike. I never realised it would make so much difference to the ride. Amazing. Get one.

Favorite Trail:   chicksandsBull run

Purchased At:   ebay second hand

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Metel RP

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse 7 point. Fox DHX 3.0. Rockshox domain 318 forks. Saint cranks.Heyes HFX 9 brakes. WTB wheels, maxxis tyres.

Submitted by caciara a Weekend Warrior from rome, italy

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Strengths:    like DHX 5.0 but more simple. perfect for freeride and light-med dh. save your money

Bottom Line:
stong plush and not expensive like dhx5.

Similar Products Used:   manitou 4way marzo tst x-fusion pva dhx5

Bike Setup:   mongoose black diamond triple

Submitted by Eder Giovani Savio a Weekend Warrior from Florianópolis, SC, Brazil

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2008

Strengths:    Really Strong. Good rebound adjust. No pressure loose.

Weaknesses:    Should be sensible like old Vanilla RC.

Bottom Line:
If you want a shock that will make a good job without loose time thinking about adjusts, take DHX 3.0.
What I really want of a shock is absorption of impacts and stability under high speed. DHX 3.0 does it.

It wont kick you out. The rebound control is excellent, like in any Fox shock. This is the only adjust that almost all riders use.

I had a DHX 5.0 in a Stinky that is very similar to UMF Freddy, both are "faux bar". I did not notice difference between 5.0 and 3.0. I never bottomed both. I don't care about adjust propedal, because I'm just a free rider. Maybe propedal and bottom out adjusts be great for single pivot bikes or any other with linear suspensions.

I never had troubles with any of my Fox shocks. They are really strong.

I would prefer a shock more sensible, like Cane Double Barrel, but for my funny FR, DHX 3.0 is very good.

Favorite Trail:   All w/o posers

Purchased At:   dellabikes

Similar Products Used:   DHX 5.0, Vanilla RC, Rock Shox Deluxe.

Bike Setup:   UMF Freddy 185 mm, Monster T, Hayes.

Submitted by Fadi from Toronto

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    Plush
No Noise
Easy Adjustment

Weaknesses:    The Spring That Came With It (400x2.80) Isnt Strong Enough, Or am i just too heavy (170 lbs)

Bottom Line:
This is a great shock, just make sure you have the proper spring for your weight and type of riding...

If you need a new shock and dont have the money for a DHX 5.0 Or a TSTR, Look at purchasing one of these...

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Metal, Avalache Nitrogen and Oil Shock...

Bike Setup:   Stock Norco Atomik 2007

Submitted by Adam Cluck a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2007

Strengths:    it is strong, works well, has the adjustability i need it to have.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
if you take 3m or bigger drops this shock will do you great. if you are someone that just likes to adjust everything than you can spend tonnes on something else, waste of money if you do that i reakon. but it is awesome and will take almost anything you can give it.

Favorite Trail:   Youyangs

Purchased At:   With Norco Atomik 07

Similar Products Used:   random other foxshocks

Bike Setup:   Norco Atomik 07. Downhill bike takes big hits.

Submitted by Taylor M. a Downhiller from Dakota dunes, SD, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    adustable, soft in the first part of the travel, stiff in the last part. i cant tell when i bottom it out honestly, im not actually sure if i have, but 8ft to concrete usually does. Looks the bizz. you can adjust it to be a good pedaling shock.

Weaknesses:    only 2 adjustments, air pressure and rebound control (but i don't really need any more) I had to buy a new fork too, because this shock is so much better!

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome shock! I dont really know how there could be one that is better, this one is awesome for small bumps if u adjust the rebound down, and if you want to pedal uphill for some odd reason, you adjust the rebound up.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim