Fox Racing Shox AVA RP3 05 Rear Shock

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Pat G a Cross Country Rider from Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2005

Strengths:    Light, easy to setup, adjustable pedal platform

Weaknesses:    Nothing really

Bottom Line:
I thought the Manitou Swinger air shock was gonna be the hot ticket. Well, it let me down in more ways than one. First it leaked, then the pedaling platform didn't seem to work. So I suffered thru a year of riding it like a hardtail till I hit something big then it worked.

The Fox RP3 was my first choice for replacement. It made the Turner a whole new bike. The Pro Pedal platform works really, really well. I just flick the switch on rocky climbs and it feels like it's 75% locked out, on down hills I switch it the other direction and I've got a nice smooth stroke shock.

Initially I ran too much air and not enough sag, gone with about 30% sag and it's working great. I weigh 230.

Favorite Trail:   Chutes and Ladders, CO

Purchased At:   CyclePath

Similar Products Used:   Swinger 4 way air, Fox Float, various springers, Romic

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by chris a Racer from peoria, arizona

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2005

Strengths:    Plushness

Weaknesses:    Takes quite a few rides to dial in the shock; I still like the option of a lock out for those heinous climbs.

Bottom Line:
It's too bad that Fox discontinued last years model of shocks with lockout. I don't care what people say; this shock does not eliminate 100% of pedal bob. Titus Racer x is one of the most efficient pedaling bikes around but it still produces some bob with this shock. My 03 Fisher Team with the RL had less bob than the RP3 plus it gave you the option to lock it out if so desired.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine trail, Moab Utah

Similar Products Used:   Fox RL, Fox RC

Bike Setup:   05 Titus Racer X100, Full XTR, Mavic Crossmax SL, Maxm Carbon bars, Chris King headset, IRC Serac XC tires, Fox 100rlt fork

Submitted by Paul from Forbes, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2004

Strengths:    Plush as, the platform is sweet, looks a trick, light weight. Easy to install and set up (ten minutes tops)

Weaknesses:    $$$

Bottom Line:
Amazed at the function of this shock, how does it do that and still be lighter than the FLOAT R. The platform suspension really eliminates the bob.....energy saved...:-)
Four Chils, not five because it cost so damn much.
It was a toss up between the DT Swiss 210L and this mother, but because the DT Swiss had to get to Australia by courier pigeon I canned the order and got the Fox instead. I'm one happy camper.

Similar Products Used:   Fox FLOAT R

Bike Setup:   Kona Bear '02, SRAM X.0 rear, LX front, SRAM cassette and shifters. Julie discs, DT Swiss Aero Lite wheel set running Ritchey Z's, Generic Carbon bar and Titanium seat. Truvativ Titanium BB. Egg Beaters.

is there an 05 AVA RP3??

Does anyone know if a FLOAT AVA RP3 exist for 05 Also, what is the diff between a Float R and Float RP3 apart from the P3 (ie propedal) tia CheersRead More »