DT Swiss SSD 190L Rear Shock

• Length: 152 mm
  • Sticker: Standard

Submitted by Greg01 a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, NC

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely smooth ride if adjusted correctly. Feels like you just float across any terrain from rooty sections to rock gardens/etc etc... I don't normally use the rebound adjustment because i found a very nice sweet spot with this shock, which is something i have never been able to experience before. The lockout works extremely well. The shock is Extremely light for its amount of travel. The joints that mount to the frame are curved (i think its called ball joints) which allows the shock to rotate about 5 to 10 degrees. This makes sure that torque from the frame/pivot does not get transferred into torsion on the shock, which ensures a longer lasting shock.

Weaknesses:    The lockout lever is supposed to go from the 4'oclock position to the 6'oclock position, but for some reason my lever can swing around clockwise to the 2'oclock position (it doesn't stop at the 4). It doesn't effect the shock in any way, but it is strange nonetheless. That is the only weakness i have found

Bottom Line:
For a light, easily adjustable shock with a great lockout, look no further. This shock is perfect for the XC/AM rider

Purchased At:   J&L Bicycle Company

Bike Setup:   BMC Trailfox 01 ('09) with Fox Talas 32 RLC

Submitted by Farmer Ted a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Light, big air can, plush, responds to adjustments well, a real lock out.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This shock came on my BMC Trailfox 01 and I wasn't sure of what to expect. The instructions that come with it are good and it's pretty easy to set up. The rebound control is very effective and has a wide range of adjustment and you can also tell the difference from one click of the adjuster to the next...something I haven't found to be true with all shocks and forks. The lockout really locks the shock out which is nice for the type of bike that it's on. The big air can means that short travel bumps are smooth as are the big hits. Small air pressure adjustments make a big difference in sag and shock feel. I've had some trouble getting full travel out of mine...the last 5 or 6mm of shock travel is hard to get (around 1/2" rear wheel travel on the bike that it's on) but this could be due to the suspension design too. Overall, I like it and if it holds up well, it will be a worthy alternative to the many Fox shocks out there.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt and Rock

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float

Bike Setup:   BMC Trailfox 01

Submitted by Andrew Perry a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    Very smooth motion, sucks up bumps without excessive bob.

Weaknesses:    Have gone through two of these shocks, both have been riding beautifully before they wear the coating of the shaft and then fail to hold any pressure. A real shame and both have happened after approximately 1 yr of riding.

Bottom Line:
A great product that for some reason has failed twice in the same fassion. Am really annoyed. Will chase up DT Swiss and see if i can get anywhere, hope their customer service as is good as their product USUALLY is.

Bike Setup:   Meria Mission Carbon Team
FSA Wheelset, XO and X9 componentry, Juicy 7 Brakes, Thompson post and stem, etc etc

Submitted by Nick Griffiths from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    Light, build quality

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I can't recommend this shock strongly enough. I recently replaced the Rockshox Ario on my BMC with this DT Swiss model and have been amazed by the improvement. I'd spent 6 months fiddling with the Rockshox, fine tuning the rebound and air pressure, and never getting a very good result - harsh ride and limited travel. I put the DT swiss shock on with the factory settings and it's superb, great ride and vastly improved overall handling. Very smooth on the rock gardens we get to the north of Sydney while still good on rougher stuff. If you have a BMC with an Ario I strongly recommend making the change.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Ario

Bike Setup:   BMC Fourstroke

Submitted by Michael Kontos a Cross Country Rider from Nairobi, Kenya

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, light and easy to use

Weaknesses:    Pricey. But you get good quality. Given a choice between Fox and DT, DT any day!

Bottom Line:
I bought an Intense Spider 29 and chose the Fox RP23 upgrade (up from Manitou Swinger). Unfortunately, as I live in Kenya, I relied on the supplier of the bike to ge things right. The RP23 was an absolute fiasco. I'm a big guy - 220 lbs - and even at max psi, the RP23 was like a pogo stick. I sent the shock back to the dealer and opted to change it for a DT 190 (good dealer). The DT 190 is absolutely fantastic. Easy to use (not like the RP23's many settings) and lockout means your bike becomes a hardtail. No regrets at all.

Purchased At:   www.wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP23

Submitted by Dennis Verburg a Cross Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Very smooth, Easy to adjust, goodlooking and bombproof.

Weaknesses:    Optional parts expensive (bushings and remote control)
Shock it self: none.

Bottom Line:
I thought the Fox RP23 was good but I must admit that de DT shock is better. It feels like if you are floating above the ground. No hard bumps. And if you are climbing or riding on normal roads you use the remote control.
Piece of cake!!!

Favorite Trail:   several in Holland and Alps

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SPV 3way, DT swiss SSD210L and Fox RP23.

Bike Setup:   Canyon bike with Shimano XT, Rockshox Revelation, Magura Louise, Thomson and Titec.

Submitted by Ed Merkel a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Strengths:    Design,functionality,lightness,very ergonomic rebound,quality of the product,low maintenance.

Bottom Line:
This GT frame came with a 6.5 travel RTS 22 rear shock,so my intention and priority was to custom a light all mountain bike,but this frame is designed for a 6.5 rear travel with an 80mm travel fork. I pass some nights at the work table and looking at the frame,and I found I could change the rear shock with an 7.5 travel and choose to buy a DT Swiss.

I have no troubles to install it,but I noticed the I-drive was forced and the rear shock fitted like a glove in my hand.Well,this problem was fixed when I pumped 130psi to the rear shock,so when I get sited on the bike,my weight(180 lbs) forced the rear shock to low one inch and that's enough for the I-drive to work. Obviously,I have to install a long travel fork to avoid any over stress
on the head tube and I choose to install a Marzocchi with 105 mm travel. This mix changed the geometry of the bike make in it a nice climber and fast descender.The final weight: 12.768 Kgs (28 ponds)

How the rear shock works ?.

On straight off road,it is very,very sensitive and gives you the comfort you are looking on a rear shock.

On uphills ,it keeps it's very sensitive way and lock out works perfect.

On Downhills,you get completely surprised on the work and functionality.I let you know if you use to do long downhills,as I did,you will notice a little oil bath on the travel bar and according to DT Swiss this is normal,but just a little.

What can I say,it's a very nice product and a great upgrade to any bike.You will stop looking for any other brand.This is an 100% Swiss made rear shock and may be a little pricy,but it worth every penny. I always used with a Lizard skin protector and have no complains until now,but I recommend you to lube the bar travel with chain lube in any ride you have,and you will enjoy this fine product for a long,long time.

Yes! I highly recommend this rear shock

Favorite Trail:   Trans alps

Purchased At:   Lbs

Similar Products Used:   Rock shock,5th element,rts,fox.

Bike Setup:   Custom GT I-drive 4: Dt swiss wheels,marzocchi fork,full xt trans,mg60 stem,Chris king headset,thomson seatpost,Monkey lite ec70,wtb weirwolf 2.1 tires,avid disk brakes.

Submitted by Milwaukeehaze a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, small bump sensitive, easy to setup, and awesome lockout capability! Also, DT Swiss sells a remote lockout mechanism that works flawlessly from the handlebar.

Weaknesses:    The only thing so far is that the schrader valve is cast as part of the whole aluminum body of the shock and it seems like the threads are a bit fragile. Plus, the first 2/3 of the threads are flattened out on 2 sides, which makes for a bit of an issue with some shock pumps in getting a good seal when inflating the shock. I think this may be due to something in the machining process of the shock body.

Bottom Line:
I have only used this shock a few times, but it performs as good or better than my Fox Float R did. The reason I bought this shock was because I wanted lockout. I almost purchased the Fox Float RP23, but the controls are on the opposite side of the shock as the schrader valve is, and I can only mount the shock one way on my GIANT NRS C2, due to the rocker arms blocking access to the schrader valve. The controls would have been next to impossible to reach behind the pivots while riding. Since the schrader valve and lockout lever on this shock are both on the same side it works great with my GIANT setup.

I also purchased the Remote Lockout Mechanism to mount on the handlebar and it works great. I now have a shock that can be locked out on the fly from my bar and there is virtually no movement, even when standing and pedaling hard up a hill. Much more efficient riding than with the Float R since it didn't have a lockout.

I also want to mention that I accidentally stripped a bolt and bent a spring on the remote lockout mechanism and I e-mailed DT Swiss in Colorado, and they sent me the parts within a week at no cost!! Talk about great service!

The shock also has a 2-year warranty, which is definitely a plus with a component that takes a beating.

I think that Fox has some stiff competition with DT Swiss getting heavier into the rear shock arena.

Favorite Trail:   All of them