DT Swiss HVR 200 Rear Shock

• Length: 165 mm
  • Sticker: Standard

Submitted by Andrew Krol a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    1. Weight - lightest on the market at time of purchase (165mm/197g)
2. Smoothness - works perfectly and filters all - from tiny bumps to serious hits - no matter if HVR open or closed
3. Spherical bearings - add sensibility on tiny bumps
4. Remote control - phenomenal for this shock

Weaknesses:    1. Price - dt is not cheap but this was riddiculous
2. HVR regulation - full switch is over 6 turns of the knob - just takes tomuch time and attention
3. Stiffness - if you have problems with rear suspension stiffnes, do not choose this shock

Bottom Line:
I purchased this shock as soon as it was released - may 2005 and now it has 8k miles.
I've chosen Dt for weight&bearings and HVR for platform.
Original bushings make the suspension more responsive (spherical bearings engage quicker than normal tightened bushings) but they allow the whole swingarm to flex slightly - not recommended if you have trouble with rear suspension flex.
I find this shock extremely responsive (with HVR opened) and totaly bullet-proof(I weigh 92kg and never go around if I can straight). As you start engaging HVR, you get less and less bob and rear seems harder. But when you go over sth, the shock just absorbs it like in open position - AMAZING!!! Completely different from SPV or ProPedal. There are two things that I dislike in HVR though:
1. the feeling you get, when HVR engages - as if the rear hub had play.
2. the control knob - it allows you to tune the shock exactly to your needs but when you go uphill and want full HVR and than downhill and HVR opened - there is 6 turns of the knob to go!!! That sucks, especialy during a race:( Three or four positions would be enough or if fluent regulation - just a higher turn ratio.
I therefore decided to get the remote control and this solves the whole problem - one move of the thumb and it's done. More like it:)
All together a bullet-proof, responsive and extreemly lightweight item - if you have a stiff frame and you can get it cheaper than regular - don't hesitate! just remember about the remote if you race!!!

Favorite Trail:   WPN

Purchased At:   local dt dealer

Similar Products Used:   Swinger 3-way Air; Fox FloatRL; Fox Vanilla

Bike Setup:   '04 King Kikapu with ChrisKing hubs&headset, Thomson stem&seatpost, XTR all.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2006

Strengths:    Very light, easy to maintenance - air chamber can be opened by hand. Top finished. Just working ... see weaknesses.

Weaknesses:    Damper works slowly, maybe seals in air chamber are tight (damper is a new one). Old manitou qrl worked better - more control at rear wheel !! DT damper doesnt absorb repeated bumps. I tried to dimnish air preassure (more SAG), tried use more fluid grease to grease seals in air chamber ... nothing. Maybe damper needs some rides more to make seals less tight ? I would never bought HVR 200 but my QRL suffered leaks at rebound adj. When servis tried to open the qrl he destroyed it ... Impossible to open. Anyway - HVR 200 works not good now. I think to buy 3 way SPV manitou or radium R (RL) with better platform and much much better feeling of rear shock. HVR valve when fully opened enable damper to works with full travel. When valve is partialy closed you can feel the treshold when damper works or not works. It losses sensitivity but on bigger hits works with ful travel but - again - works slowly and not absorbing well repeated hits like from roots on trail (qrl did it much better). I have to give HVR 200 more time nad I hope to be not disapointed... When HVR valve is closed damper works with minimal travel (3-5mm) and you can feel very good how valve works.

Bottom Line:
Now - just two flamin' chilis. I will be wait for reviews from others. Anybody wants to buy my HVR 200 ? :-) I replace it for SPV 3-way or Radium RL by Manitou - but - after I decide that HVR works slowly and never become better... :-)

Favorite Trail:   all ways

Purchased At:   internet shop

Similar Products Used:   manitou QRL.

Bike Setup:   Cube AMS Comp, XTR, avid BB7, Marzocchi ETA and ect...

DT Swiss HVR 200 on 2005 Enduro Elite

I'm looking at replacing the Progressive 5th Element with a DT Swiss HVR 200 instead of the usual DHX 5.0 Air. The 5th Element is on the way out and I don't think it’s worth trying to get it fixed. I use the bike for all day trail rides and don't really think I need the weight of a coil shock, and I ... Read More »

DT Swiss HVR 200 on RUSH

Hello, have someone mounted the DT HVR 200 on a RUSH? Is possible to use the same bolt-set?Read More »

New stable platform DT Swiss shock - HVR 200

After noticing this shock being mentioned in the Ellsworth forum, I did a little googling to find some info on this new shock. It appears on the DT Swiss website, and I found a pdf with a bit more info too. I haven’t seen a lot of reviews on other DT Swiss shocks, but most seem to be reasonably ... Read More »