Cane Creek DB Air CS Rear Shock

Cane Creek designed a new selectable climbing mode feature for their excellent All Mountain Double Barrel rear shock. The lever actuated Climb Switch, dubbed the CS, offers low speed damping for both compression and rebound when engaged, and reacts like the existing DB when it’s turned off. They accomplished this trickery by having six damping circuits, which is two more than the normal DB.

Double Barrel shocks with the CS feature have four low-speed damping circuits: LSC1, LSC2, LSR1, LSR2 in addition to the 2 high-speed damping circuits: HSC and HSR. In the “off” position of the Climb Switch, the low speed damping is controlled by LSC1 and LSR1; this is analogous to traditional Double Barrel shocks without the CS feature. In the “on” position of the Climb Switch, the low-speed damping is controlled by LSC2 and LSR2, the ‘climbing circuits’. These circuits are heavily damped and tuned specifically to limit low frequency motion of the bike’s suspension, but not to the extent that traction during climbing is sacrificed.

Submitted by Paul a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2014

Strengths:    I have a santacruze tallboy lt 2014 the fox shock that it came with worked great until it gave out and I had to send shock back so I thought I should try something new why I waited for fox and the bike shop that I purchased the bike from had the canecreek on sale for $530 so I purchased it and so far I love it climbing it what I love to do and it feels better than the fox by far and when I come down and turn the cs off wow it feels perfect the shop I am using is bike bling

Weaknesses:    maybe the price but $530 is not that faraway from all the rest

Bottom Line:
It feels really good on the climbs and it works well on the down hill I like the shock so far and when I get the fox back I will sell t . the canecreek cs rules

Favorite Trail:   Anderson Truck Trail

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Bike Ling

Similar Products Used:   I have been a specialized guy for years but I love the Tallboy with the canecreek cs double barrel

Submitted by yeti4ever

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2014

Strengths:    Flawless when it worked, for 1 day. 2nd day of testing, total failure. The CCDB CS was the plushest that I've ever ridden. CS worked awesome, climbed like a mountain goat, halfway stiff throughout, but still active. All this just brought me back to earth when it failed on me, totally, on my second day of riding.

Weaknesses:    Shock failed on the second day of riding the CCDB CS. Shock compressed and stayed compressed. Did rebound at first, about halfway only. Towards 1/3 left on the ride, shock did not rebound at all. Shock at this point is fully compressed and no rebound whatsover. I was riding hardtail; I was just trying to make it through at this point in my ride, this trail is chunky by the way. To add insult to injury, because of its failure, it chipped the paint off my brand new team green Knolly Chilcotin. Ouch! Minor chips, but it really let me down that it chipped off the paint of a brand new frame. It's like owning a brand new car and scratching it in the first few days that is not even your fault. With cars, it is insured, with bikes, you are on your own.

Bottom Line:
Totally disappointed with the product. I never had a shock, or front or rear suspension for that matter, that failed on me (on the second day or ever!) Worst thing is, because of its failure, it scratched the seat tube of my brand spanking new knolly limited edition team green chilcotin. Kudos to Knolly's paintjob, it held up; but there were several hard thuds and although I tried to pick the smoothest lines, the rear link still hit the seat tube. Paint chip is minor, but this could be avoided if CCDB CS worked. Totally bummed. I hope Cane Creek is able to fix this defect. Don't wanna cry sour grapes, but wouldn't you? Have Fox shocks on my other bikes, and they never failed on me, what's wrong with CCDB CS, when it's supposed to be the creme de la creme?