Cane Creek Cloud Nine Rear Shock

4.61/5 (94 Reviews)
Weight : 209 grams MSRP : $229.98

Ultralight air sprung, air damped rear shock with speed sensitive valving. CNC machined aluminum body, preload adjusts via schrader air valve. External rebound and compression with indexed damper dials. Rapid Compression Adjuster (RCA) for on-the-fly anti-bob setting. Delrin glide rings and Nitrile seals are easily serviced in minutes. Weight: 207-259g (half the weight of most coil shocks)

Submitted by DouthatBiker a All Mountain Rider from CF, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2012

Strengths:    Shock totally transformed my old Klein Mantra. No other shocks were available for Mantra's odd sizing anymore, then here came Cane Creek with the Cloud 9. Unbelievable change in the bike's handling. I've got almost 19,000 miles on this bike now, and new designs just don't make me want to give it up. I have an 08 RockShox Revelation 130mm up front; with that and the Cloud 9, even ancient frame design can give a fantastic ride. The RCA simply limits travel; it's not a lockout, but there is a big gain in efficiency nonetheless, and bike is still active. That is better on the Klein because it's made to remain seated while climbing.
ALSO, CANE CREEK is hands down the best company I've ever dealt with in terms of excellent customer service. They rebuild if needed, but the basic seals rebuild is pretty simple to do yourself.
One warning: do NOT RIDE DOWNHILLS with the RCA (semi-lockout) engaged. The spring in the shock is not built to handle heavy stress, and you damage the spring if you forget to "unlock" the RCA while descending. I did that intentionally, not realizing it would hurt it, so they rebuilt that for me; now it works fantastic again, AND I remember to always disengage the RCA adjustment when descending. I would absolutely buy another Cloud 9 if this one fails; it has over 4600 miles on it now, and I'm going to replace the seals again tonight because it leaks a little air and needs to be pumped up before a ride. Not a big problem but maybe after another minor rebuild, it'll hold tight again. (Unless it is leaking around the RCA button; I'll do a leak test underwater first, and if that's the leak point, I'll live with it a bit longer and have to send back to CaneCreek again. They've certainly earned more business, in my opinion, so I won't be griping if that is necessary.)

Bottom Line:
I'd have given up the old Klein by now if it hadn't been for the change this Cloud 9 brought to the bike. It might surprise you what it could do for your bike if you ride older frame technology. This illustrates that a significant part of the efficiency provided by new designs is suspension fork and shock dependent. That's my opinion, anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Mountain Trail, Douthat State Park (& out to National Forest)

Purchased At:   Cane Creek

Similar Products Used:   Fox Alps 5 air and Fox Vanilla(?) Coil shock. Neither held a candle to this shock, but they were much older technology.

Bike Setup:   '98 Klein Mantra, Blastberry Chameleon paint, (cool!) w/99 rear triangle (disc capable), '08 Revelation fork, Hayes disc. Incredibly durable bike!

Submitted by egebhardt a Weekend Warrior from San Mateo

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    Completely rebuildable.

Weaknesses:    Odd air-spring curve.

Bottom Line:
I couldn't get the Progressiveness Valve to work. Then rebound didn't work either. I opened the can and put some new gear oil in there. Then closed it up. Not fixed.

I then called CaneCreek. They said I need a seal kit. Then I looked at the kit. It is only for air-can o-rings. That won't help.

So I went home and took it all apart on the kitchen table. It was a little dirty inside. I cleaned it and gear-oiled everything. Put back together and mounted it. Hoooray!!!!

It works as advertised. Not great, but pretty darn good for no oil. Air dampening and serviceable!

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   CraigsList

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP23

Submitted by ched a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    light, looks good, adjustable damping, adjust air press for rider weight.

Bottom Line:
This Cloud Nine made a huge improvement in the ride quality of the K2 Sidewinder. You can power across the terrain and up the hills without bouncing out of control (the stock spring had no damping). Even on the pavement, this bike is faster with the Cloud Nine.

I did have to fabricate some bushings to make it fit. This was done with some 1/2" aluminum rod from local box hardware store and a small 1/2" drill press to act like a small lathe. It took me about 2 hours

Favorite Trail:   cross country

Purchased At:   aebikes.com

Bike Setup:   2010 K2 Sidewinder, Cloud Nine Rear Shock, RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air forks, Stock tires, New chain and cassette

Submitted by barnhorse a Cross Country Rider from Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2011

Strengths:    I put it on my bike and forgot about it. I never touch it. I like that.

Weaknesses:    It does not lock out completely. Mostly, but not all the way. Not a problem for me, but for some it might be.

Bottom Line:
I like it.

Bike Setup:   Fisher 292

Submitted by robriw3 a Cross Country Rider from Nashville

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive - much much less than others, easy to change seals, really softens up the rocky sections. Best for light downhill, or on a trail bike. Low weight. Beautiful laser etching in stealthy black. Lots of settings to dial in your style. Buttery smooth.

Weaknesses:    Cannot service internals, no true lockout. Wouldn't use on my XC race bike. Having adjustments on the side would make for easier access, but that is likely not possible.

Bottom Line:
For the price it is awesome, but after 1,000 miles of riding just a seal replacement won't keep it working. It is great for rocky, rough, downhill hucking, but without a "pro-pedal" platform it always has a little bob even when set up just right. The shock will not break, it just starts to leak air and then you do a rebuild, but after the first rebuild it will always need a little air before each ride from then on. It really is bombproof for the first couple years of life, then you need to decide if you want to replace it with a different long term brand, or send it in to CC for an full internal rebuild. But, you could get 2 of these for one RP series Fox.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Fox, RockShox.

Bike Setup:   05 Specialized Enduro

Submitted by luckystu a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    installed it and It works

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
The service from Cane Creek was great. They originally sent the wrong size bushings, but the service guy had them send via UPS blue out the correct bushing at no charge. I would buy one again if needed.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Similar Products Used:   Progressive 5th Element

Bike Setup:   1st Generation SC Blur, Hope Mini breaks, SRAM X9 twisties, PUSHed Fox Vanilla RCL fork.

Submitted by Gakster a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    Plush, easy to set-up, highly tune'able, light

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Nice upgrade for my 2000 Marin Mt Vision Pro. Upgraded from AD-12. The AD-12 served me well for ~5 yrs. After 5 yrs, the AD-12 was loosing air and rebound was not working well.

Instead of a rebuild, I decided to upgrade. In a word - WOW ! The C9 is plusher, wider range of adjustments (esp rebound) and easier to adjust as well. (Knobs instead of hex keys).

After 1 season, it's nicely broken in and had no problems at all. Set and forget.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float (older), DHX 5.0, AD-12

Bike Setup:   2000 Marin MVP w/ Manitou Black Super Air.

Submitted by xilant a Weekend Warrior from Petawawa

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, simple/effective design that's easy to service. I'm very impressed how well it works with the Heckler considering it's an air shock and air dampened.

Weaknesses:    The only way to mount the shock on my Heckler was to put the air valve facing down thus putting the graphics/Cloud Nine logo upside down. This truly doesn't bother me, but it's the only weakness that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
I was a little skeptical about this shock at first. How well can an air dampened shock perform? Will it pogo constantly? So I read many other reviews and spent a lot of time looking for an upgrade for my Heckler.

Many forums swear by coil shocks for the Heckler but I'm more of a techincal trail rider and don't want the additional weight of a coil.

I came on here to look at various different shocks and found many people having problems with nearly all air shocks! Like everyone out there I want something reliable that won't break in the middle of a ride (RP3 stuckdown for example).

I saw this shock with many many positive reviews and thought I'd give it a try. So I sent in my old RP3 for the Cane Creek upgrade program (which is very easy, just call them and they take care of you). I installed it on my bike just nine days later!

Setting it up was pretty easy and once tuned I was treated to the most wonderful ride I could have imagined. I used to have a Fox RP3 and I couldn't get the right compression and rebound. It bucked me in the air and didn't rebound fast enough before it landed... But the CCC9, it's just amazing.

I took it out of my first ride yesterday and hit 4" rocks and roots and it literally felt like I was riding on a cloud. It absorbed everything flawlessly and rebound was perfect. I didn't feel a thing!

I highly recommend this shock to anyone who wants a light weight shock that works exceptionally well and has the highest standard and reliability.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Lea

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float R, RL, AVA RL and RP3

Bike Setup:   2005 Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by Flip 2 a Cross Country Rider from Stuart,FL,USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth, adjustable, light, smooth

Weaknesses:    RCA switch does not lock out shock BUT, that only matters if you HAMMER the cranks... works fine for the everyday.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful shock! Totally transforms my riding experience. I also did the Rock Shox fork upgrade... that improves the front just enough so you can enjoy the Cloud Nine.
Before (with orig equip) you aimed and held on. Now I can steer and ride. Sucks up bumps and keeps the wheel from bouncing around so you can just power away... so cool.
Now I revel in the Fuel 100s light weight and superb handling. A joy.
I almost never used the big ring on our mostly flat, and often sandy, local woods trail. You could get going, but first time you hit anything you just bounced around. Now I find myself ripping around (relative term you understand, I'm no youngster) in the top ring lots. The bike just knifes through and eggs me on.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Murphy at JD State Park

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek AD-10, Rock Shock SID

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek Fuel 100

Submitted by turniptruck a Cross Country Rider from ferndale, mittenstate, usa

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    Bulletproof
Light
Plush

Bottom Line:
Found out the original fox on my bike would be about 500 to replace. Was a beautiful riding shock, but c'mon. I wanted to rebuild it, but found out that the proprietary system meant sending the unit in, paying about 120 and not having the shock for six weeks.

Therefore- did some research on other shocks- found the Cane Creek for much less and read good things about it.
Rides equally as good to the Fox in every way, buttery bump eater and yet hammers the rear wheel in on climbs.

More importantly to me is insanely good support. Called Cane Creek directly to buy and was talking to a real live american tech person at the N.C. hq in seconds. Called back on delivery for some installation questions, and got more tech help in seconds. Wohooo!

The rebuild kit for this is almost free, and supposedly takes about 15 minutes with ordinary tools. However, several years later, it still does not lose a molecule of air so i haven't attempted it yet. (i luv being able to rebuild my stuff without taking 2 vacation days from work)
If a sniper ever takes this thing out, or it gets gored by a rhino, etc. I am going for another Cane Creek.

Favorite Trail:   potto

Purchased At:   manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   expensive Fox of some kind

Bike Setup:   93 stumpjumper fsr

Submitted by pmth95 a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Weight and damping effeciency

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Upgraded the OEM rear Rock Shox Bar shock after 4 years. Had to mount it "upside-down", that doesn't seem to be a problem, controls are reachable while riding. Much better shock. The most noticeable difference with original is traction going uphill, and not being thrown off seat.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   TREK store on Woodwa

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Bar

Bike Setup:   2005 TREK Fuel 70, Fox Vanilla R 160mm, Cane Creek Cloud Nine

Submitted by czakolo a Weekend Warrior from Poland

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    price (after discount), light, nice looking

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
Good contact with service before you buy, after that is hard to get any feedback by email, only phone is working so it's hard for someone outside US
Within 4 year I got leaks two times: first I fixed myself by repleacing seals, the second I have to send to Cane Creek, which cost me half of the original price (with shipping). It seems it is not that easy to maintain as they stay, apparently if you got leak around RCA you cannot fix it yourself!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill, Texas

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by MossoMan a Weekend Warrior from Taipei Taiwan

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2008

Strengths:    On rocky and rooty descents, this shock is really plush. I've never bottomed it once through some fairly rough/large rocks and drops.

Weaknesses:    The trails here mostly start with a long road climb, so the RCA switch sounded useful. However, it doesn't LOOK like it does that much. CC says that turning it on maxes out the compression, but when I look down, I can see the suspension moving. This is with the rebound damping maxed. I've tried riding and flipping the switch on and off while riding, and I can't say I see much of a difference in movement.

Bottom Line:
I live and ride in Taiwan. Lot of parts and frames made here. I got this shock for a prototype frame by a local company. It's pretty much a blatant copy of the FSR system, including the Horst links. The frame came with an X-fusion shock, but I wanted something more adjustable. It was difficult finding a shock because shops sell shocks for specific known frames and mine is a kind of gray market knock off. Finally saw the reviews here praising the Cloud 9's reliability, rebuildability and plushness.

Went to the Cane Creek site, where I saw not only the upgrade/trade in program ($100 off), but also that you could give CC the specs for your frame and include a picture, and they could make a shock for you. Sounded perfect. Sent in the order and my old shock. CC called and asked about my frame. I told them about my frame, and they were initially reluctant, saying something like "we really don't do that much anymore." However, once I told them the suspension was pretty much standard FSR, they said OK.

When I'm climbing on the road, I can't actually FEEL the bob, so I don't think much energy is being wasted. I'm going to flip the shock upside down (emailed CC about this; they replied quickly--great customer service--and said it wouldn't hurt anything) and try dialing out the climbing bob with the compression knob, which also ramps up the rebound damping near the max setting.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this shock. More of a true lockout would be nice, but I knew going in that the RCA didn't do this. Given that the shock was more or less custom made for my bike (CC even included the correct size of bushing and spacers), as well as its durability, its plushness and its easiness to rebuild, I'm giving it 5 chills.

Favorite Trail:   Ski Lift

Similar Products Used:   X-fusion RL

Bike Setup:   Brand X frame, Rockshox Revelation 426 Air

Submitted by Wesley Pomeroy a Cross Country Rider from Watertown, Ct, USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Strengths:    Reliability, ease of set-up, can be rebuilt in approximately 20 minutes by any simpleton (even me), relatively light weight, customer support is fantastic!

Weaknesses:    None worth mentioning

Bottom Line:
I've had the Cloud Nine shock on my bike for 2 1/2 years. I rebuild it every year as a part of preventive maintainance. After the initial set up, I have never had to adjust the settings. It is just set & forget.
Not having any type of platform valving does not seem to be an issue on the DW suspension.
I ride 2 - 3 times per week and the shock has handled everything. It has never failed me, unlike the 5th element.
When I went to remove the shock this year for it's annual rebuild, I found the rear mount had rusted in place. I had to use a propane torch & a press to remove the mounting shaft. The rust was not the fault of Cane Creek. I wash the bike frequently, and sometimes ride it during rainstorms. The rust is more a testament to the shocks reliability because I only remove it once a year.
Contacted Cane Creek for replacement mounting hardware. Received the hardware 3 days later, and at what I consider to be a very reasonable cost - less than $30.

If you want a reliable shock and you don't have a need for platform valving, this is the shock for you.

Ride on!!