Cane Creek AD-12 Rear Shock

4.4/5 (48 Reviews)
Weight : 195g.

• Shaft and cylinder: Cold-forged and machined 6000-series aluminum with hard-coat anondization, rubber o-rings, and wiper seals.
  • Seal bushing: Delrin
  • Color: Hard-anondized gray

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by trekusps a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    Absorbs both small and large bumps. Lightweight with rebound and compression controls. User serviceable with great Cane Creek customer support and documentation easily found on the Internet.

Weaknesses:    Rebound and compression controls need an allen wrench to adjust.

Bottom Line:
    I originally had the Cane Creek AD-5 which came stock on my Fuel and had been using it for years. Been a problem-free air shock that only needed a couple of rebuilds in the eight years that I have used it. Decided recently to upgrade to the Cane Creek AD-12 and found a local deal on it. Called Cane Creek if the AD-12 was worth the upgrade and they said it was over my AD-5. Was looking at the offerings from Fox but was hesitant due to the negative press on their reliability and maintenance issues.

I am glad I listened to Cane Creek. The AD-12 is a much plusher shock than my AD-5 ever was. The AD-12 follows the contours of small and large bumps with ease. My rear wheel feels that it is firmly planted onto the ground which gives me greater traction through turns and climbs. I was afraid having a plusher shock, it would make my Trek Fuel bob up and down during my extended climbs. Well, I am happy to report, the AD-12, like my AD-5, doesn't exhibit any energy robbing bobbing during my climbs. Even out of the saddle, the rear end of my Trek Fuel doesn't bob and feels like a hardtail. I always felt that the AD-5 didn't give me enough plushness and was only good for the big hits. Now with the AD-12 on board, I feel that my Trek Fuel is as plush as some of the longer travel full-suspension bikes that I had tried and demoed recently. It is as plush as the current Fox shocks but without any of the drawbacks that Fox has with reliability and servicing. So far, the AD-12 is holding air. Luckily, if I need to rebuild it, the seal kit is inexpensive and the shock doesn't need to be sent back to Cane Creek for servicing. Overall, it is a great upgrade from my stock Cane Creek shock and only weighs 25 grams more than my AD-5.

Favorite Trail:   MIssion Peak

Purchased At:   reMatch Sports

Similar Products Used:   Risse Racing Elroy and Jupiter, Cane Creek AD-5, Fox Float RP23 and L.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel with Avid levers, shifters and mechanical brakes, Shimano XT drivetrain.

Submitted by black kata a Weekend Warrior from maine

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Strengths:    handles jumps very well strong nice looking easy to install and to repair excellent for crosscountry or downhill

Bottom Line:
    this shock is well worth the money highly recomend

Favorite Trail:   hobo jungle and road

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   fox

Bike Setup:   norco fluid 3.0 techtro hydraulic brakes. fsa bottom bracket fsa dh crank rockshock recon fork sunline riserbar sunlin dh stem

Submitted by Eli a Weekend Warrior from Pawcatuck,CT, USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Strengths:    Plush stiction-free travel, easy to assemble and dissamble, adjustability, and excellent customer service from Cane Creek.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
    i would reccomend this shock to anyone looking for a simple, reliable, well-performing shock. It has excellent adjustability (adjustable air volume) and is simple enough for the 'average Joe' bike mechanic to assemble and dissasmeble.

Purchased At:   Free from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Older Fox AVA air.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super-V, Marz. Bomber front fork, 5 inches suspension travel front and rear.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Columbia City, Indiana

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to rebuild. Great help and support from Cane Creek.
    Very easy to set-up. Excellent feel. Can take 2-4 ft drops without blowout.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    This rear shock works far better than the SID rear that was on it. It feels as though I have more travel than before. This shock has been out for a while but still is worth it's price new. Mine came with the bike when I bought it. I works great on my frame. Don't waste your money buying a shock with a lockout. This thing rocks.

Favorite Trail:   anything with jumps

Purchased At:   price paid for two parts I needed

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox SID xc

Bike Setup:   2004 Weyless SP, SID 100xc fork, Stylo team cranks, disc jockey wheels w/Avid BB7's, 2.5 Wierwolf's, XT/XTR

Submitted by Nevin Rallis a Cross Country Rider from Windham, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2006

Strengths:    Works awesomly on my bike. hardly ever get pedal bob or any movement while pedaling on roads

Bottom Line:
    This shock is awesome. I had to put it on my frame because it was mail ordered and I figured I would test its weight against my realy old coil shock. It was like a feather and a brick. On the trail the difference is just as great. It sucks up the big pumps and lets you pedal efficiently.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury Mountain

Purchased At:   stock parts

Similar Products Used:   a cheap coil shock

Bike Setup:   leader 626S XT cranks and rear deraileur manitou minute 3

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from pojoaque

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    Reliable, user servicable, very limited sag or bob, air volume adjustability to change compression rate (progressive or linear), plush action over the entire stroke, great shock!

Weaknesses:    Damping controls not terribly consistent but I find the shock near perfect with no damping knobs nearly all the way out anyway.

Bottom Line:
    This is a follow-up review after several years of use. This remains my favorite shock of all time. I have rebuilt it with new air seals once in three years. When the seals did start going it was very gradual so there was no sudden failure; just subtle reminders of some pressure loss after a few rides let me know I needed to rebuild.

After dealing with poor performing Fox shox and Fox's virtually nonexistent customer service, this shock and the excellent support from Cane Creek have been a very welcome surprise. The Cane Creek shock changed the performance of my Titus Racer X from mediocre (with the original Fox Float R) to excellent.

Purchased At:   Cane Creek

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float, Progressive 5th Element

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Strengths:    Initial/small bump travel stitchion.

No messy oil leaks.

Great range of adjustability (damping, spring rate)

Light.

Weaknesses:    Bottoms out at stock volume and recommended pressure setting.

Compression damping almost negilgible.

A customer support that would not reply to repeated simple email enquiries.

Bottom Line:
    I got this shock to retrofit my LTS because of its many adjustability, especially the compression damping which was absent in the stock rock shox. Changing the spring rate was also easier with air than turning the coil spring. I did not like the lack of small bump sensitivity but big bump response was good, except for the tendency to bottom out. I weigh 84kg and had to run the AD 12 at 210 PSI to reduce the bottoming out, this however caused the shock to lose 50 psi after 1 lap of technical XC. Tried changing the volume setting which required a special socket spanner head. I tried contacting the technical support since there was no information on their website. 2 emails in 3 weeks, I still haven't even got an acknowledgement reply. Com'on, you guys at Cane Creek can do better. I blew my total air cartridges and the EKOsport guys got a replacement sent down to singapore in a week. As it is I cannot run the bike to its full potential. Was seriously considering a Cloud 9 upgrade for my Giant NRS but having experienced Cane Creek INEXISTENT customer support, I would probably look elsewhere.

3 chillis for the shock performance till now.
    1 chilli for the "spectacular" customer support I got.

Favorite Trail:   bukit Timah

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe

Giant NRS

Bike Setup:   1997 GT LTS 2

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Palo Alto, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    After thousands of miles of cross country riding since my last post here in 2001, I am STILL way impressed with this shock. I hardly ever have to add air. I haven't had any troubles, and it is still supple as ever!

Bottom Line:
    Don't know if it's still available since I built up my bike over three years ago, but I never had the need or desire to switch to anything else since.
    Yes, I know I have reviewed this shock here before, but that was over three years ago, and I thought you guys might like a long term usage report.

Purchased At:   Reed's Cyclery, San Jose, CA

Similar Products Used:   Fox, AD-10

Bike Setup:   Sub 21 pound Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from chandler, az, usa

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    I rebuild myself, light, easy setup, price

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    Cane Creek will give you 50$ off if you trade in any old shock- check there website for details. I liked the fact that i can rebuild myself so i bought it. Feels great- my old stratos had a lockout so i was disappionted that the ad-12 did not. But when i set it up and rode it i never felt the need for the lockout. Very comfortable and easy to setup- i recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   holbert

Purchased At:   landis cyclery

Similar Products Used:   stratos xc

Bike Setup:   trek y-33

Submitted by Pat a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to install and set up

Bottom Line:
    Smoooth..easy set up. My Fox died. Shock set up to -10 lbs body weight air pressure, neutral dampening and rebound. Shock soaks up everything with no pedal feedback and no need for lock-out. Great customer service from Malcomb at CC.

Favorite Trail:   SoCal

Purchased At:   Cane Creek Direct

Similar Products Used:   FOX RL

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight XL; XT Disc; Rock Shox Duke XC 100

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, CT

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2004

Strengths:    Low maintainence.

Weaknesses:    Rebound function stinks. Air is NOT a good dampening medium!!

Bottom Line:
    Afetr riding the CC AD-12 for 3 months last Fall, I ended up sending my worn out Rock Shox SID XC back to RS for rebuilding. The Cane Creek simply stunk. I could not find a setting that would deliver the same plush ride with minimal bob that the stock RS shock had. I tried all three air volume settings, and every combination of air pressure and dampening adjustment possible to no avail. The shock either packs up, or is way to firm.
    For $175 to rebuild the RS SID, it is worth it if I get another 1 1/2 years from it.
    Maybe for the NRS it is not a good application, but some people say they are getting good results. I didn't.

Purchased At:   eBay-used

Similar Products Used:   Fox FLOAT RC rear, Rock Shox SID XC rear

Bike Setup:   GIANT NRS

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2003

Strengths:    Plush. Plush. Plush. Shocks do not get any plusher than this. And, the increased stroke (34mm) vs. my rock shox coil (25mm) makes a huge difference.
    I have not had ANY leakage AT ALL. I only have to adjust my pressure every 3 months or so, even though I am an aggressive rider.
    Changes in damping actually change the action of the shock. Amazing! Contrary to advertising, Rock shox and Fox don't actually have any adjustments.
    Probably not the lightest, but definitely light. I'm no weight geek, but those of you who are will appreciate the performance/weight ratio.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
    In the suspension world, you don't always get what you pay for. Aggressive cross country riders will appreciate this shock for its performance and adjustability. Period. If you're a hucker, stay with a coil.

Favorite Trail:   Northside Trail

Purchased At:   Cane Creek direct

Similar Products Used:   RS coil over, Fox, SID air

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown carbon URT full suspension

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from pojoaque, nm

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2003

Strengths:    not much sag or bobbing, nice cush on larger hits, customer servicable is great but so far i haven't had to do much. it's great to be able to change the air volume (spring rate)

Weaknesses:    heavier than advertised (weights 16 g more than fox float R), i can't tell much difference with the damping settings but I haven't worried too much about it because I seem to like the ride regardless of the damping settings. Air damping generally provides less consistent damping characteristics than oil because it is a compressible gas, rather than an incompressible fluid (oil).

Bottom Line:
    For me, this shock is far superior to the Fox Float R. It outperforms it in every situation. Plus, it has less sag and bob so I get about 30% greater effective travel from my bike than with a Fox Float.
    I changed it to the larger air volume setting and really like it that way and appreciate that I can change it myself. I also really appreciate the fact that the shock is fully customer servicable. I got tired of always having to send shocks to Fox, getting charged for their design flaws, and suffering down time as well.

A little heavier than advertised, but so am I!

Kudos to Cane Creek for this shock!

Purchased At:   cane creek