Cane Creek AD-10 Rear Shock

4.7/5 (66 Reviews)
Weight : 195 grams MSRP : $250.00

Cold forged and machined 6000-series aluminum.

Submitted by Don Duende a Cross Country Rider from Don.Duende@yahoo.com

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Worked great for the past 8 years or so. Never had to pump it up or service it until the last two months. Truly was a set and forget product. Durable, I rode at least three times a week and trails around here are rocky.

Weaknesses:    After I hung the buike upside down by the rims in the garage 2 months ago, the shock will hold pressure for only a few days. Older product, so it must be serviced at Cane Creek, if they still have parts for a rebuild. I don't know if they still support the product.

Bottom Line:
Cane Creek makes a solid, reliable product. I think the internals or seals have just worn out. As much as I have rode it and abused it, there has been virtually no maintenance over all these years. I will call Cane Creek to see if they will rebuild or replace seals at a reasonable cost. This shock is on my beater bike, so there is little reason to spend big bucks to upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   Galena Creek

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP3, Cane Creek AD-8

Bike Setup:   Schwinn s[9six]40

Submitted by shawn from gville sc

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    very reliable, easy to adjust, light weight, simple design

Bottom Line:
this is a follow up review. i have owned this shock for 6 years now and have never once had a problem. i rebuilt it once about 3 years ago because i felt sorry for it, not because it needed it. i have always used a lizard skin shock boot, so the shock looks brand new still. bottom line- this shock works great, doesn't leak, is easy to work on if you want to work on it and the company is extremely easy to work with and very helpful if you have any questions about anything.

Similar Products Used:   fox

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette,CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Strengths:    Never seems to need air even after substantial abuse

Weaknesses:    LBS gets no rev for servicing these shocks.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up from years ago...if you have one..you'll find that it will outlast your frame and components. Mine has outlived the bike and is awaiting another. Some old shocks never die they just fade away because new frame set-ups don't accept them. Ride ON. It will work on my Sugar 1 with custom bushings.....my SID Race feels good with Neg pressure, buthe AD 10 is just better.

Favorite Trail:   flume

Purchased At:   cailfornia pedaller

Similar Products Used:   SID race

Bike Setup:   GF Sugar 1, XT, BB7s, Mavic X717...26.5 Lbs of dirty love

Submitted by Earl Teigrob a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2006

Strengths:    Very reliable, does not leak air at all. I have this shock installed on 2 bikes and I only adjust the air once a season. Takes big drops great. All I could ask for in a rear shock. Found them online for a deal. I do mostly cross country with small drops, jumps and trees in my path. Go out twice a week for 6 months of the year.

Weaknesses:    none but had different width then my stock fox float r so I needed to shave the spacers when I installed it.

Bottom Line:
Highly Recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine Trail

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS3 customized this rear shock and with Marzocchi MX Comp Air. Great combo and I can concentrate on skills, not equipment.

Submitted by Garry Connolly a Weekend Warrior from M'cr Emgland

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2006

Strengths:    Fits the Trek Y5 - much better than the Stock shox ...

Weaknesses:    Leaks , Won't Hold Air - Pretty concerned as not sure what shock I can replace it with.

Bottom Line:
Can anyone advise me on good replacement shox for my Trek Y5

As the AD10 had to be fitted unside down

Purchased At:   Buxton Cycles

Bike Setup:   Trek Y5 - Judy Long Travel XLC , and AD10

Submitted by Lamar Hall a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, Co

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    Maintance Free. Did not touch this shock other than to set my rebound and compression. After that I've been punishing it for five years.

Weaknesses:    After 5 years it finally gave out. Replace seals on shock but to no avail it just wont hold psi anymore.

Bottom Line:
Would have no problem recommending this shock. However, there are newer shocks out there with a bit more advancements if one is willing to spend the cash.

Favorite Trail:   three sisters

Purchased At:   Budget Bicycles

Bike Setup:   2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 2

Submitted by Frank Fletcher a Cross Country Rider from Whistler, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    Light Weight, good dampening, nice action

Weaknesses:    I first got this shock with my Pyclewerks Wildhare and the shock failed within a couple of months with a hairline fracture in the main air shell. Local bike company sent back to Cane Creek who sent a new replacement within about a month. The new shock failed in gentle terrain on the second ride. I bought a new Fox Air and never looked back

Bottom Line:
Neither the original, not the replacement lasted long enough to ever get dailed in. The both times the failures occured at the top of long, long climbs while wheeling some nice level single track before decending. Totally failed I had to walk the bike down twice for fear of damaging frame with a totally limp shock. That was enough for me.

Favorite Trail:   Riverside & Crater Rim

Purchased At:   Fanatyco

Similar Products Used:   Fox Air, Fox Vanilla, other Cane Creek products

Bike Setup:   Pyclewerks Wildhare, 16.5, all Ti pivots, Ti BB, Chris King humbs w/ti axles, Mavic 217 rims, all other XT running components.

Submitted by David Giessel a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    Never leaks air
Cake to lube/rebuild (no tools required)
Widely tunable
Upgradable to AD-12
Very light

Weaknesses:    Intrinsic properties of air damping (beneficial in many cases) make tuning difficult if you treat it like an air/oil shock.

Bottom Line:
Purchased July 2000. First maintenance came in April 2004. Shock never lost air between those dates (I changed the air pressure anually as I grew a good deal during those years). For some perspective on that... From 1997 to 2000 I went through 3 Vanilla coil shocks and 2 Alps air shocks. Also important to note is that I was much lighter from 1997 to 2000 than from 2000 to 2004.

The maintenance done in April 2004 consisted of an AD-12 conversion kit Cane Creek offers for 40 dollars (complete with seals, piston, and air chamber disc).

Pictures of the conversion here:

The performance of the shock over this 3.5 year period was nothing short of superb. I had tried Alps 4, 5, 5R, and Vanilla coil shocks on my Mantra and they were either too sticky (Alps) or totally unreliable (Vanilla). The 5R felt OK, but the Cane Creek was much better. I ran the stock chamber volume over this period (I have since gone to the most progressive setting allowing me to run lower pressures while still avoiding bottoming).

Some things to note about tuning the shock:
The compression damping is more of a blow off valve than anything else...once the pressure in the main chamber reaches a certain value...air blows by the compression valve into the secondary chamber...the compression adjuster basically sets this threshold (it really doesn't behave as a oil compression adjuster does as with an oil shock, the damping medium is uncompressable and always flows by the piston). I leave mine all the way open and tune the compression response with air volume and pressure.
Rebound speed is directly proportional to the amount of air blown into the secondary chamber during compression stroke. If you set the compression "damping" really stiff...air won't pass into the secondary chamber during the compression stroke, so rebound (no matter how soft you set it) will be very bouncy (the valve won't have any air to "stop" from going back into the main chamber). Leaving the compression damping open allows air pressures in both chambers to equalize on compression allowing the rebouind valving to trap more air in the secondary chamber (letting it bleed back into the primary chamber however quickly you desire). Bigger hits blow more air into the secondary chamber...so rebound is very slow. Smaller hits don't blow very much (in some cases zero) air into the secondary chamber...so rebound is quick. This is what Cane Creek means by "speed sensitive valving" and it is a very nice property of air damping (one must understand that the valving is applying damping to the spring medium to tune the shock properly however).

This shock is a dream if you put Slick Honey on it once a week (as I have done since the AD-12 conversion)...and if you decide to go 3.5 years without touching it...it will feel pretty damn good anyway.

Here are some additional pictures of how dead simple the maintenance is:

Favorite Trail:   Llama Trail/Rabbit Lake Trail

Purchased At:   The Motorcycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla
Fox Alps 4, 5, 5R
Fox Float, Float R, Float RC
Noleen NR2, Smart Shock

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra frameset (97 comp frame), Full XTR (M950), King/517 wheels, RS Psylo SL

Submitted by Bryon a Cross Country Rider from Indiana

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Strengths:    Absolutely bombproof so far. Very low maintenance. Does not leak air AT ALL! I did not keep up with the shock servicing schedule (much less frequent than recommended). Despite this the shock has performed well and held up better than my Rock Shox fork. I kept it lubed and checked the air pressure frequnetly but rarely had to add air.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Maybe not as trick looking as other shocks but performs well and as I said before is bombproof! Unless you want to pay too much for a shock that performs the same you can't go wrong.

Purchased At:   stock setup on sugar 2

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 2 with Rock Shox fork

Submitted by Ryan D a Cross Country Rider from Bethany, Oklahoma USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Strengths:    Soaks up almost everything everything. Easy to adjust to your weight. Cane Creek provides online owners manuals at their website. Good looks.

Weaknesses:    First 3-5mm of travel is very loose...almost a dead spot on mine. If I'm riding over small stuff like gravel, rocks etc it moves a couple of mm's and rebounds and hits. It's not annoying or loud or anything...I'm just wondering if it's supposed to do that.

Bottom Line:
I love this shock. Like I said, mine has a little bit of dead space if you're riding around in a gravel parking lot or something. Other than that this shock is amazing. Soaks up all the big stuff. Don't notice roots or rocks anymore. After riding this I will never go back to a Fox.

Favorite Trail:   Roman Nose

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Isis, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA, Bontrager Race Disc, Avid mechanicals, LX/XT/XTR, IRC Trailbears

Submitted by Rich from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Strengths:    Does what it's supposed to do. Never have to maintain/pump it up--keeps its air.

Weaknesses:    None. Well, not as responsive to small bumps as I'd like, but that's also due to Sugar's XC racer-boy design.

Bottom Line:
The only reason I take a pump to this shock is to see if it leaked. 99.9% of the time it's just as I left it. As for maintenance, just wipe with a silicone rag and ride some more!

Favorite Trail:   Race Track

Purchased At:   Mission Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   None. First f/s bike.

Bike Setup:   01 Sugar 3 w/ XT and SRAM.

Submitted by Mauro a Cross Country Rider from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    Do I have to say it again? Plush, adjustable, easy maintenance and easy to tune!

Weaknesses:    a little pression loss (maybe my fault when pumping)

Bottom Line:
Hard deal to find a shock replacement for this frame! A friend machined (CNC) the adapter for me for 65$. CaneCreek has a 135mm lenght with 26mm travel wich match perfectly the suspention geometry. The result is great after setup, and it is 250g less than the RS coil shock. From the factory setup the air volume must be reduced to make it more progressive and avoid the bottom up. In one word: GREAT !

Purchased At:   local shop (imported)

Similar Products Used:   RockShox, Fox

Bike Setup:   GT LTS-1, Bomber Z1, lot of Race Face, CrossMax ....

Submitted by Kevin W a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, Co

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Strengths:    Plush, adjustable, serviceable, so simple.

Weaknesses:    none that I have found

Bottom Line:
This shock has performed flawlessly for me. Had it a year, put 4000 miles on it. Zero maintenance. Didn't leak a bit of air!!!It finally got sticky after a year(duh!!) so I finally took it apart and greased it. It was sooo simple. What a difference a little grease makes!(Big duhhh)Took it apart again and changed the volume adjuster plate. Again, real simple. The thing is so smooth I have to periodicaly look down to make sure it's still there! I wanted a Fox for the lock-out. I commute by bike. I'm so glad I got a Cane. My friends Fox's have leaked right off the floor. In the biginning I pumped up my shock to make it stiff on the pavement. Now I don't even bother. That is because of my suspension though. No bob on climbs. Don't make a purchasing decission based on lock-out.(unless you are looking at a mono-pivot that climbs like a pogo stick. Then you need to look at a different bike.)While I have't rode a Fox, I truly feel I got the better shock. A rebuild kit costs $10 bucks (10 O-rings and grease) and takes 30 to 45 minutes. Very plush, real good dampening, simple as crap to work on. Get one!

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Bike Setup:   Tomac 78 Special, Manitou X-vert,XT drivetrain, Hayes hydraulics, Dave's speed dream wheels(King hubs)

Submitted by simon lemieux a Cross Country Rider from montreal, quebec, canada

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Heavy Duty, perfect performance...

Weaknesses:    None yet!!!

Bottom Line:
WoW! I'ts incredible. Put less pressure if you like more smoth suspension. Put more pressure if you like stif suspension. This is just the best all around rear shock ever ;-)

I like my front and rear suspension very "stif"/"hard" and this one get me what i whant! The sugar 2 bike is a perfect climber. But the cane creek ad-10 realy have to do with that...

Favorite Trail:   St-francois