Zion 29 inch Rigid MTN Fork 29er Forks

Weight : 2.55 lbs

Go rigid with a top-quality MTB fork from Zion. Constructed of TIG-welded chromoly tubing with a great strength/weight ratio.
  • 51mm IS disc brake calipers (rim brakes cannot be used)
  • Standard 1 1/8" threadless steerer tubes
  • 29" fork weighs 2.55 lbs (1,156 grams) and has axle-to-crown measurement of 475mm (replaces Rockshox Reba 29'er or similar)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ball joint a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, OH

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Fore and aft flex. Shudders under braking.

Bottom Line:
    This fork flexes like crazy under braking! I am almost scared to push it with this fork because I am afraid of breaking it. Since this fork was made for mountain bikes I have to give it 2 chili's. If you buy this fork don't by any means put it on a MTB.

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   first rigid

Bike Setup:   Redline monocog with avid bb7s and Panaracer rampage's

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Portland

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2008

Strengths:    cheap, came in white

Weaknesses:    stiff, heavy, but what do you expect

Bottom Line:
    Contrary to the other review, at 140 pounds, I found this fork to be very stiff. I could see how a few more pounds of body weight would add some flex, but I can't imagine this fork being particularly "flexy" for someone under 180. With it's straight legs it is much less forgiving than than the curved Bianchi and Surly forks I've used in the past (even shorter 26" forks). I thought it would be a little flexier (especially when braking) due to it's length. All in all it's a solid fork, it tracts straight, and the disc tabs line up. It's a great value and perfect for someone looking to try rigid riding on the cheap.

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   Surly, several Bianchi forks

Bike Setup:   Paragon ss conversion

Submitted by Nick Heywood a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2008

Strengths:    Very cheap for a disc-only rigid fork (which is why I bought it), looks nice in satin black.

Weaknesses:    Bit flexy. I use it on my commuting bike so it doesn't go off-road. I can imagine that for off-road riding it wouldn't be the best choice because of the way it flexes (for and aft under brakes). Wouldn't want to put a big powerful hydro brake on it either..!

Bottom Line:
    I've got a 26" version, and I couldn't be happier. I mean, for $39, how wrong can you go? If I were in the market for a serious off-road rigid disc-only fork then I've have spent a bit more but it's fit for my purposes and cost so little that there's no real cause for complaint.

One chilli off the overall rating for flexiness.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Other older style rigid forks, but none with with disc tabs.

Bike Setup:   Pastey Howler 853, 1x9 gears, Fat Boy slicks, Avid BB5 discs. It's a commuter.