Wily Cycles 29er Mountain Fork 29er Forks

All our rigid 29er Mountain forks are expertly TIG welded and are built suspension corrected to the dimensions of an 80mm travel fork, taking suspension sag into account. These suspension corrected 29er forks allow you to take off your existing 29er suspension fork and run one of our rigid forks without altering your bike's handling. And of course these forks work perfectly with our Stock or Custom geometry frames. Specify either ISO disc mount or linear brake mounts.

We use True Temper's lightweight, butted, and tapered fork blades that have that 'oh so sweet steel ride quality. We build with a machined fork steerer that is tapered, bulged, and butted to create the strongest and lightest fork steerer available. The crown race stop has been machined into the steerer and results in perfect crown race seating every time.

Submitted by Snake a Weekend Warrior from East LA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    Custom measurements - Wily made me a disc/canti fork to my specs;
Dropouts face forward, with tabs as well;
Attention to detail;
Excellent powdercoat;
Fantastic ride

Weaknesses:    Crown race diameter was a little too big, had to get LBS to install my CK race - mech was worried that the race might crack, but it installed after some forceful bashing. We'll see if it stays in one piece.

Bottom Line:
Previously used 2 other forks, had horrible shudder when using Avid Shorty cantis, so much so that the front of the bike would buck and heave when I braked at speed. No adjustments of the cantis/forks worked, so went to Wily for a custom job. The fork is excellent. Cantis didn't shudder anymore. I switched to discs to try it out, and fork works beautifully. Wily has great CS, excellent product, fantastic attention to detail, would thoroughly recommend to everyone especially if you want a custom fork. Keep up the good work.

Purchased At:   Wily Cycles Custom

Similar Products Used:   Went through Kinesis and another custom job.

Bike Setup:   Cyclocross Ti

Submitted by a Weekend Warrior from Lafayette, IN

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2005

Strengths:    Custom built for your needs. Just tell Brad what you need and he'll build it up right. Excellent tracking, smooth ride. Flawless paint work by Spectrum.

Weaknesses:    8 week leed time.

Bottom Line:
I asked Brad to build me a replacement for the stock KM fork. He nailed the angles and measurements. The fork is less beafy than the KM fork, but it is just as strong. Its no noodle. I don't feel any flex from the fork, yet the ride is a world better than the KM fork. This fork was worth the money no doubt. No more sore writs/hands which is saying a helluva lot for a rigid fork. While I went for black, the paint job is spectacular. This is the best looking black fork I've ever seen (and I worked in a bike shop for 4 years).

Go email/call Brad at Wily cycles and have him build you something beautiful and useful.

Purchased At:   wilycycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Karate Monkey stock fork.

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey with King bling and rigid goodness.

Submitted by a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth, Great paint job, great workmanship

Bottom Line:
Product: This is hands down the best fork I have ever used. I have never liked suspension forks and as a result have owned and ridden a lot of rigid forks. This fork is the most compliant fork I have ever used. What is really nice though is that it’s a very smooth fork without sacrificing any tracking abilities. This fork will go where it is pointed and will soak up the trail. I have ridden a few forks that are compliant but feel like they are going to break at any moment-not the case with this fork. Granted it is not a suspension fork but this still does an amazing job smoothing out the trail.

Service: Service was top notch. I received my fork in the time line that was quoted to me. Every step of the process I also received an e-mail to confirm my order, specs etc.

Bottom Line: This fork is a great deal and will improve the ride of any bike and the price is inexpensive considering what you get. Now if I could just get some money up for a single speed frame.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Direct from Wily

Ritchey, Breezer, Pace Carbon, Independent, Kona, Surly, Spinner and various other cheap steel forks

Bike Setup:   Seven 29er

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from Nederland

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2005

Strengths:    Very smooth and stable ride. Best steel rigid I've ridden (I've own 4). This fork is cleanly built, not underbuilt and not heavy, and is NOT made in China!

Weaknesses:    small frame/fork builder things only: somewhat of a wait to get it. the product is excellent though...worth the wait.

Bottom Line:
I'm a rigid fork freak. I haven't owned a suspension fork in over 5 years...since I stopped racing XC as a sorry pro. I have tried IF (the most comparable to this fork), Surly (ouch, my arms, my back!), and the straight tubed Fat Chance forks (that are no longer available - the old Yo Eddy style)...and this fork is the best of all those. The Yo Eddy is a second because of looks, weight and performance, but it's not being made anymore and has a shorter crown to dropout length. The IF is rated third since it's a stiffer ride than the Wily or the Fat Chance and more $. I like how the Wily rides. The Wily logo is sweet too. I really like the cable routing for disc brakes on the Wily, and the dropouts are very clean and have a unique design for disc mounted forks. A well thought out fork and looks like it will last a long time.

Favorite Trail:   you'll never know

Purchased At:   Through the Wily website

Similar Products Used:   Independent Fabrications, Fat Chance Yo Eddy remake, Surly, Spicer Ti.

Bike Setup:   Rigid geared Surly Karate Monkey, and Spot Singlespeed with the Wily Fork.

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from Grand Jct. CO

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2004

Strengths:    Beautifully made.
Great paint job from Spectrum.
Surprisingly comfy for a rigid fork.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I figured the next logical (?) step after getting the 29'er single speed would to put a rigid fork on it. I put a Marz MX comp on the bike when I built it up but never was thrilled with it. It also weighed a ton. I was not sure that I was going to like a rigid fork, but I wasn't sure I was going to like the single speed either and I love it. I did some research on the different forks available and Wily came highly recomended and with them being in Boulder, a few hours away from me, I went for it. Brad a great guy to deal with. I met up with him and he measured everything and a few weeks later I had my fork.
As this is my first rigid fork, I don't really have anything to compare it to other than my Marz, but I really like how solid it feels and the steering feels so precise. My hands didn't hurt like I thought they would. Some of that may have to do with a carbon bar and Oury grips(very squishy). It also took about three pounds off my bike. I really like riding something so simple and I think it's making me a better rider. I really have to pick the right line now so I can't let my mind wonder, and really, isn't that why we ride.

Favorite Trail:   Horsetheif Bench, Fruita

Purchased At:   Wily

Similar Products Used:   First rigid fork.

Bike Setup:   Spot 29'er Single speed

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from Fountain City Wi.

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    Paint job was excellent and I love the "paw logo". Light weight but stiff enough. Made my Surly steer a little quicker which I took a little getting used to but after a few rides it single track melt away. I would love to ride one of their frames

Weaknesses:    none that I've noticed so far

Bottom Line:
The fork is well made and true and for the money, is a great deal. If you like the feel of a rigid fork on a s.s. this might be for you. I also put it on my I.F deluxe for CX this fall and it worked great. Only good things should come from this builder!

Purchased At:   Factory