White Brothers Magic 29 29er Forks

4.2/5 (10 Reviews)

White Brothers Magic-29 110mm Forks : State-of-the-art fork valving technology. Large volume, low pressure linear air spring, with open oil bath. IMV, Intelligent Magnetic Valve The fork remains fully active without the need for a lockout...

Submitted by dickt3030 a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    IMV works great. WB Service is next to none. Perfect for single speed. No air or oil leaks (yet).

Weaknesses:    A little heavy. Not very plush. Haven't been getting the full 80mm travel with optimal air pressure. Noisy.

Bottom Line:
I am actually a big fan of this fork, but for specific purposes. Coming from a single speed rigid background, I wanted a fork that absorbed small impacts, but didn't bob. This fork does exactly what I was looking for. During my first ride after riding rigid for a year, I didn't feel any noticeable bob or energy losses. I do wish it was more plush, with smoother travel. Overall, it is the quintessential "minimalist" fork, with minimal travel and excellent pedaling efficiency. Not for everybody, but just right for me.

Favorite Trail:   Deadman's, Moab; Brown County, IN

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Niner S.I.R. 9 single speed

Submitted by Tasselhof a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, works good and no bobbing due pedaling

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Great forks, i have 2 - qr 80mm and ta 110mm

Similar Products Used:   RS Sid, Marzocchi Corsa

Submitted by bigtymerider a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Strengths:    Was able to order with custom features like heavy duty crown. Looks clean on the bike. Good service from WB's I have e-mailed them a couple times with quick responses.

Weaknesses:    This fork is a challenge to adjust and makes a funny Noise when you hit stuff hard.

Bottom Line:
I have the 110mm version and in all I am pleased with the fork. Since I weigh 270lbs it has been a little challenging finding the perfect psi to run at. The IMV works well with just a turn of the knob. It seems to be a bit sticky at the beginning of each ride but then seems fine after a few bumps. I do not really have anything to compare this too since it is my first suspension fork.

Favorite Trail:   Paradise Valley

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   First Suspension Fork

Bike Setup:   Custom Curtlo 29er

Submitted by jgw1981 a Weekend Warrior from Walled Lake, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth travel, the IMV works quite well. Light weight, and looks great!

Weaknesses:    A little challenging to set up, and hard to find documentation on it.

Bottom Line:
Its a supple, and great working fork. It can be a challenge to set up. I have the 80mm version. When rebounding off of hits, it sounds somewhat like a nail gun, which is interesting, and apparently normal. I do like the fork, but the IMV can be confusing, and I do sometimes wish I had a lockout I could switch on and off. I would trade it for a Fox or a Reba if the chance came up.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake, Maybury

Purchased At:   0

Similar Products Used:   Fox F29, Rock Shox Reba.

Bike Setup:   GF Paragon, custom setup

Submitted by Robin a Cross Country Rider from Calabasas, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, IMF works well

Weaknesses:    Expensive, Blown seal twice

Bottom Line:
This fork worked well with little need for continuous adjustments, including platform and IMF. Trouble is that I blew a seal, sent it back for repair only to blow the seal again after two rides. We will see if WB gets it right this time...

Favorite Trail:   Idlehour

Similar Products Used:   Original Maitou, Rock Shock Mag 21, Manitou Mars 1

Bike Setup:   Titus Ti FCR

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from In

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    Tunable
Stiff
Customer support

Weaknesses:    Progressive travel
Expensive

Bottom Line:
I wanted stiff and platform and got that. I have the thru-axle version. I suspect there is no perfect blend of small bump sensitivity, plush travel, and smooth linear transition into travel. That being said it feels better than the F100X. Less lockout but better small bump sensitivity. It doesn't blow through the travel like the Fox when set up to be more plush. Overall I like it, but I prefer the Pike which I could set up with a lot of platform on the move if I wanted to. Quality is top notch and I may get another if Rock Shock and Fox refuse to build a thru axle 29er.

Similar Products Used:   DUC - 29er, Pike - air and coil, F100X

Bike Setup:   El Rey and El Capitan

Submitted by Mike D. a Cross Country Rider from Nor Cal

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    100 mm of travel; VERY tuneable to rider weight and riding style; it's relatively light in weight; plenty stiff for agressive, technical, single track downhilling. Very little pedal bob when climbing in or out of the saddle.

Weaknesses:    Pricey.

Bottom Line:
I'm really pleased with this fork. It took about 6 rides to break it in and get it tuned just right. I'd put it in the "very plush" category.

Lots of people ride their 29er's with rigid forks. I was one of those people for a while, and it was awesome too. But, I prefer suspension. The Magic 29 is a great fork and worth the money, especially for serious riders.

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo Forest

Purchased At:   Palo Alto Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Marathon SL, Marzocchi Z2 Atom bomb

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey, 8 speed, Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic brakes

Submitted by nate from nor cal

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Strengths:    clean styling, 100mm 29er fork

Weaknesses:    16 clicks of IMV adjustment which all feel like crap. fork also creaks and has alot of stiction. I would expect alot more for a fork in this price range.

Bottom Line:
save your money. white bros has totally blown it with this one.

Favorite Trail:   lawndale

Purchased At:   came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   rockshox mag 21

Bike Setup:   van dessel jersey devil fs

Submitted by Brad a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Strengths:    Laterally stiff, simple to operate with the new IMV, looks really great. Did not find that I was searching for a lockout while outta the saddle, IMV works as advertised.

Weaknesses:    I had to fiddle with the air pressure as the fork took its time to break in. Now I set it and forget it. I wish the rebound was on the top to dial in as you go.

Bottom Line:
I got a screamin' deal on ebay before x-mas. I wouldn't mind paying full retail because this fork is built to last and it is very easy to service.

Similar Products Used:   My first 29er fork, very impressed. Tired of waiting for the new Pace.

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Rey 4" rear

Submitted by GlowBoy a Cross Country Rider from Portland OR

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2006

Strengths:    Coil model: Quick and easy to dial in just the right amount of compliance. Compression adjustment is all most riders will ever need to use, though other adjustments can be made. No flexiness issues. No stiction noted on trail. Mine is coil, yet weighs no more than the air suspended Reba. No need for an air pump with the coil version. Fantastic customer service.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, even more so with the new IMV design. Feels sticky on the showroom floor, though not on the trail. No remote adjustment/lockout.

Bottom Line:
Note that this review is for the 2005 (pre-IMV) BW1.0 fork in coil, not the 2006 Magic model with air that most people are buying. But it still reflects well on White Brothers' design, workmanship and customer service. They dominate the 29" suspension fork world by committing fully and bringing the strongest design to the big wheel market. They basically forced Marzocchi out by being simply much better, though now the RS Reba gives strong competition.

I love this fork. It's simple to adjust, and a half turn of a dial brings it from full lockout to as plush as I'd want. You can also adjust rebound, preload and travel, but there's really no need: I find the fork works great with those adjustments left at the factory settings. It works as well for me out of the box as the hyper-adjustable Reba, with no need for a lockout, and it weighs the same. (Note: the 2006 Magic models weigh a bit more due to the special valving, though I believe the air version still weighs about the same as the Reba).

I only see two major downsides. The first is price, with the current models going for $700 and few dealers willing to knock anything off that price. Fortunately I got mine with a frame for an excellent price.

Other downside is no remote option. This is less of an issue with the new Magic models, but I'd love to figure out how to hook up a remote similar to the Reba's, but with the same continuous adjustment I have now rather than on-off.

Buy it if: you want a simple, dependable high performing fork and either (a) don't care what it costs, or (b) can get a deal on it.

Forget it if: you're price conscious and can't get a deal on it, or if the Reba comes with your frame (as is often the case). The Reba offers a similar level of performance for considerably less money.

Favorite Trail:   Lost somewhere in Oregon

Purchased At:   Vulture Cycles with frame

Similar Products Used:   RS Reba Race, Karate Monkey rigid.

Bike Setup:   Custom Vulture singlespeed 29"er w/EBB. Fork is a 2005 BW1.0 coil unit.

WB Magic 29 For A Super-Clyde?

Hey Guys, I got a good deal on an 80mm travel Magic so I was hoping some of you fat boys might have some experience with one. I'm tried of getting beat to death on my rigid SS Kona Unit so most any squish fork would be welcomed! But I'm 330lbs., so I realize I'll be working the fork pretty ha ... Read More »

who knows the ss magic gear for an xtc 29???

well im trying to see if i can convert my xtc frame to a single speed but i dont know if its going to work, if anybody knows the gearing ratio that would not require a tensioner, tell me about it and what options do i have. thanksRead More »

White Brothers Magic 29: The real story?

I'm considering the White Bro's Magic 29-80 for my 29er SS build. I currently run and like the Fox but am interested in the IMV for SS. I have heard some trash talk out and about regarding "quality" issues and customer service with the White Bro's product. I would like to know from the guys who ... Read More »

Fox F29 v. White Ind. Magic 29

I am going to retire my White Industries Rock Solid rigid fork and spring my front end. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Fox F29 80 mm or a White Industries Magic 29. It will be going on my Curtlo hard tail. I ride a lot, and do race. Any input on either fork would be appreciated.Read More »

Paid SPAM: WB Magic 29 Thru Axle and WaltWorks 29er Steel Thru Axle

WB Magic 29 Thru Axle: [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=24479&cat=8[/url] WaltWorks 29er Steel Thru Axle: [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=24485&cat=41[/url]Read More »