Surly Karate Monkey Fork 29er Forks

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 2.59 lbs MSRP : $110.00

The Karate Monkey fork is made from durable CroMoly and is designed for 29” wheels. It features brake line guides, fender mounting eyelets, andTapered straight blades. 1 1/18” steererTubeFits 29”wheelsSuspension corrected for 80mmTravel frames51mm IS caliper mount. No rim brake mounts260mm steererTube lengthWeight: 2.6 lbs (uncut)

Submitted by Bike Whisperer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Strengths:    Lots if tire clearance, great value, precise feel, no shudder with disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Compared to the (heavier) curved blade Voodoo fork I had previously, the KM fork feels less compliant.

Bottom Line:
I like to ride big tires on wide rims, so compliance is not my main concern with this fork. I wanted something that was a precise point and shoot fork and in that avenue the KM is spot on. Not the lightest, not the cheapest, not the most compliant...but a good balance along with durability.

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Zombie

Submitted by Owen

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2013

Strengths:    holds a line well. versatile with cantilever bosses, eyelets, disc caliper mounts.

Weaknesses:    heavy fork chatter on braking. Tightened up the headset and it still chatters badly. I'm 220 lbs and it still doesn't feel too compliant to me, but I use it as a commuter so I don't need huge bump absorption. And I could always run a lower PSI on my Big Apples, but I like them faster.

Bottom Line:
I've read that Surly has updated the fork in recent years (bought mine used and I think it's at least 4 years old). and I'd give the new one a shot if they could match the nice blue color on my existing.

Submitted by Julius a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap, very strong, v-brake/disc compatible

Weaknesses:    Heavy, shudders in heavy braking

Bottom Line:
This fork is perfect for riders > 200lbs. as it is pretty strong. However, I find that it shudders under heavy braking on descents but maybe I'm the only one? I'm running 185 discs. I paid only $35 so I shouldn't complain too much.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Soma Juice

Submitted by Bruce Brown a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Strengths:    Solid rigid steel fork that complements the Karate Monkey frame quite well. Can be run with V brakes or disc brakes. Holds line like a champ. Price is affordable.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and probably best suited for the heavier/larger rider.

Bottom Line:
It is hard to beat the price since the fork came with my KM frame. I like the stiffness of the fork and it performs well on most Iowa singletrack. One needs to gain some suspension with a front tire that provides some cush. One could add a carbon handlebar and comfy grips so the fork will be less harsh, but this is a steel rigid banger. It's nice to have a maintenance free fork. One less thing to worry about.

A Karate Monkey frame and fork can be built up light. My size XL with gears coming in at 23.9 pounds does not feel like a heavy bike underneath me at all. It flat out flies on the trail and for where I ride, the fork rails the corners and allows me to hammer ride out of the turn with no flex.

Lots of chilis for value.

Purchased At:   Came with KM frame

Similar Products Used:   Trek rigid steel fork on 26" wheeled bike.

Bike Setup:   XL Karate Monkey frame/fork with Avid V brakes/levers, American Classic wheelset, XT chainring/BB, SRAM drivetrain, Thomson post/stem, King HS, WTB saddle, Xpedo pedals, Karma tires. Total bike weighs 23.9 pounds.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Strengths:    Affordable way to experience rigid riding. Great precision and tracking. Nice offset (43mm).

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy, and harsh.

Bottom Line:
A product with great value for the price. Anyone looking to have a spare fork, or to change the handling of their bike, should look to this product.

It rides well in all conditions.

Favorite Trail:   BuckWallow

Purchased At:   SpeedGoat

Similar Products Used:   Misfit Rigid Fork

Bike Setup:   Don't have the fork anymore, but can recommend it.

Submitted by Ivan from Red Republic

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap - especially since it came with my monkey frame. Stiff (which is both good and bad). Looks fine.

Weaknesses:    No disc only version. yeah it goes against KM spirit of changeability - but my canti-bosses are rusting from the inside out.
Stiff - damn thing rattles out my teeth on baby-head downhills. For everything else - works well

Bottom Line:
For the price (free with your frameset) or on sale - this is a bargain fork. If you're wanting a more forgiving rigid ride you may want a Ti fork. Perhaps talk to Walt. But for cheapie - this is it.

Purchased At:   webcyclery.com

Bike Setup:   KM Rigid

Submitted by Ott a Cross Country Rider from Netherlands, arnhem

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2006

Strengths:    simplisity

Weaknesses:    Cantilevers and disc mounts. Needs two versions

Bottom Line:
Steel as vork matarial rules, looks good and it`s easy to get