RockShox XC 28 TK Mg 29 29er Forks

The XC series is a new line of entry level forks – stiff, performance-oriented and available with TurnKey lockout and travel up to 120mm.

Submitted by Robert Killian

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2014

Strengths:    Price.
Rebound adjustment works well.
They look good stored on a shelf.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't react to small bumps or tree roots
Loses composure over bigger ones.
Major flex when fitted to a 29" bike. Hard cornering had disk rubbing on pads.

Bottom Line:
These came on my 29" Karakoram and at first they seemed OK. After a long break from riding I didn't know any different but as I got fitter and my confidence came back, they just couldn't cope.

If your upgrading, save a few more dollars and go for something more capable on rough trails. I've now changed to Rockshox 30 Golds (under $300) and didn't realise how much the XC28's struggled on what aren't overly technical or rough trails.

Submitted by Barheet a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Value, Response, Quality Feel, Adjustable

Weaknesses:    Heavier than your higher level forks

Bottom Line:
I've been beating this thing up since I got it and haven't heard any complaints (except for the slight sucking sound). Seriously, this feels like a very high quality fork. It eats up the rocks and roots so fast I sometimes forget they are even there. Quick lockout is available for climbs, and there is a bit of travel even in lockout, which is fine. Rebound adjustment is there as well. Great for the cross country riding I do, which does include the occasional jump. Fork absorbs everything I have thrown at it so far. I have not taken it off any large drops (greater than 2-3 feet) so I can't vouch for performance there.

I haven't used any "top shelf" forks except for a Reba I demoed, but this fork does have some weight. Once I got used to pulling the bar up harder, I had no problems clearing rocks and logs.