RockShox Recon Silver TK 29 29er Forks

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Unmatched in its class for stiffness, performance and value, the Recon Silver makes high-end features accessible to everyday riders. Incorporating external rebound adjustment and the control that comes with 32mm upper tubes, the Recon Silver will take your riding to new places.

Submitted by David a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2013

Strengths:    This could be a great product for those who grab a working piece that does not need to be service after a couple of days of riding.

Weaknesses:    My recon silver 120mm is now being serviced for the second time. It came fitted on my Giant Trance x29er 2 I bought a month ago which I cannot use because the fork is being serviced. In about one week the travel has reduced by 7-8cm due to some parts moving internally. The worst part is I cannot ride my bike on the last sunny days of summer. I should have waited for the 2014 trance instead :)

Bottom Line:
It would be a great fork for the price if it would work as advertised. Sorry Rockshox, if you can sort this out I may give a better rating for this product.
I am thinking of swapping it for a pike 150 or talas 140... I can image if you get a good piece you can be happy with it but be prepared for the hassle to come...

Duration Product Used:   1+1 weeks (1+1 weeks at service)

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float 29 120

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X 29er 2

Submitted by Lone Wolf

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2012

Strengths:    Looks to be identical to my Reba Race 29 and performs just as well. I know it is heavier w/ lower grade internals but this one came w/ the lockout switch setup and is painted flourescent baby poop green! No complaints to date but I have few real miles on it and it is barely broken in.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I like how stout and maintenance-free my Reba has been so I hope this Recon shares the same characteristics. Great products.

Submitted by Teigansdad

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth, supple and stiff.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I love this fork. Set the sag and ride. Feels every bit as good as my fox forks. And a lot less expensive.

Submitted by hondachevy a Weekend Warrior from Western, Pa

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to adjust, set up and holds up well.

Weaknesses:    Rebound makes an air-sucking sound. Not really bothersome when you get rolling.

Bottom Line:
This was a budget build out of spare parts I had laying around. Bought the frame and fork together. They work well, its a fun trail bike to bomb around on! There may be better forks out there but this one works fine! Buy it if you are looking for a great value and don't need full adjustment. 5 value chilis for price and 4 overall cause its not high tech but is a great value.

Favorite Trail:   Moraine

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Base level Fox 26" forks

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Canzo 29er. Mid range build. X9-X0 level parts.

Submitted by bigwheelie a Cross Country Rider from Richmond Texas

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth as butter like Rebas with good small bump compliance, actually can set it up stiffer and not seem to lose the small bump comfort unlike my recent Reba Race that was more finicky. Costs almost half of Reba Race.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness or trade off to a Reba Race is weight almost 1 pound heavier but still well under 5 pounds at 4.8

Bottom Line:
Recon Silver TK 29er Forks at just under $300 are by far the best value and really rival the 2010 Reba Race Forks I had at under a one pound weight penalty. They hold air perfectly and solo air set up seems to allow a stiffer ride for me with no noticable loss of small bump compliance unlike my previous Reba Race dual air costing 200 bucks more. Overall rating really is 4.5 with .5 weight penalty but will just give it a 5 for simplicity here.

Favorite Trail:   Many