RockShox Reba Team 29er Forks

• External rebound adjustment
  • 20mm thru-axle version

Submitted by dougifresh1 a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Strengths:    Nice plush adjustable height ride.

Weaknesses:    Left the Maxle axle in the parking lot. Rock Shock should not sell to idiots

Bottom Line:
Very stiff with the 20mm axle. I think the new axles and a adjustable on the fly seat post are the best design upgrades in a while. The U-turn works well for prolonge climbing in CO. Does not leak air or oil.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Manitou

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan with Scratches

Submitted by grtndasaddle a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2010

Strengths:    Build Quality, Stiffness, Maxle use ETC...

Weaknesses:    Customer service is completely worthless. the two times I have contacted them for assistance they have bown me off and stated that all purchases need to be completed through my LBS. Now this would be fine if my LBS was familiar with the internals of the shock but are not. So why would I want to order parts from guys that do not even work on them? When I had my FOX forks and needed parts at least I could call and get the sale completed over the phone. A little support for the end user would be greatly appreciated.

Bottom Line:
Great product with no back end support for the customer.

Favorite Trail:   Cuamaca Loop

Similar Products Used:   Fox 32 F100, Fox Talas, Marzocchi XC700

Bike Setup:   2010 Ventana El Capitan

Submitted by hammerheadbikes a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2010

Strengths:    stiff chassis, smooth, great damping, ZERO issues

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a long time, I remember well the first Rock Shox forks and how around the mid 90s I swore off them in favor of Marzocchis and then Foxes.

Well, after trying custom made White Brothers, Manitou and Fox, I wouldn't trade the Reba for any of them

I dig the 20mm TA as we all know it dramatically increases fork stiffness and makes the bike so much more predictable.

It was easy to tune, in fact, I run a tad extra negative air pressure to slightly compress and shorten the fork for handling. This also makes it a bit more active and plush at the top end of the stroke.

I have yet to do ANYTHING to this fork.
I haven't had to change air pressure, nothing at all.

In fact, I know I really should do an oil change and an overhaul on it. But it just keeps on working!

It's a GREAT fork and feels every bit as nice as "pushed" Foxes I have had in the past and had been utterly reliable.

I can't say that about the Manitous which crapped out on me numereous times or the WBs that had to be lubed between every ride to try to get rid of the excessive stiction.

Favorite Trail:   can't tell you

Purchased At:   Hammerhead bikes

Similar Products Used:   all

Bike Setup:   Ellworth Evolve

Submitted by Nevada 29er a Cross Country Rider from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    Very nice, stiff, tunable fork, with one major problem.

Weaknesses:    Maxle is not compatible with a variety of hubs such as DT Swiss 440 and Hadley 20mm. The brake rotor is so close to the post mounts, the brake rubs continuously. Have a Hope Pro II on another bike which seems to work, but this shouldn't be an issue!

Bottom Line:
Great fork, too bad Sram has their head up their a** when it comes to compatibility, and thats with their own brakes!

Similar Products Used:   Reba Race (QR), Manitou Minute

Bike Setup:   Lenz Behemoth w/ DT440 20mm hub, or Hadley 20mm. Elixir 185 brake.

Submitted by eric.nm a Weekend Warrior from Santa Fe, NM

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    1) Ultra-plush yet practically zero bob unless wide open and standing climbing; perfect suspension at low- and high-speed
2) Compression damping settings are perfect and easy to adjust on-the-fly
3) Floodgate insanely easy to reach on top of right stanchion (do you hear that Fox?)
4) Stiff / tracks very, very well
5) Oozes quality / definitely equals (surpasses?) Fox forks
6) Your LBS can work on it, if needed (unlike Fox forks)
7) Idiot proof to set up / set in and forget it
8) Perfection?!?

Weaknesses:    the 2009 decals are nowhere nearly as cool as the 2008 ones ; )

Bottom Line:
1) I have been (and still am) blown away by the quality of this fork. On a 29er, it feels like five or six inches of travel on my (former) 26ers. Its is easily as bottomless, plush, stiff, and tunable as any Fox I've ever had, and almost certainly BETTER overall.
2) The on-the-fly settings can be done with a no-look twist of the compression damping / lockout lever (seven settings which are actually individually distinguishable / noticeable).
3) Rebound adjustment is on the bottom of the right fork leg where it belongs (honestly, has anyone in the history of mountain biking ever needed to adjust rebound while actually riding? Apparently, Fox agrees because I hear for 2010 the threshold / blow-off knob that has been marooned on the bottom of the right leg of Fox forks forever is finally moving to the top of the right, like the Reba.)
4) The best review I've seen of the 2009 Reba Team is Justin Steiner's in Dirt Rag #141; check it out under the Stuff section online @ www.dirtragmag.com
5) THM: There is no way I'll resist the siren call of a second 2009 Reba Team for my steel 29er hardtail. Fox Racing who?
6) PS: Bye-bye Fox (Think Sram X-0 beating XTR at its own game back in 2006)

Favorite Trail:   High Desert Trail, Gallup, NM

Purchased At:   Mellow Velo bikes

Similar Products Used:   Fox 120 RLC; Fox F100X (multiple); Fox F80X; Fox Vanilla 100 RLC; Marzocchi Marathon 120 XC; Marzocchi MX Pro ETA; and much earlier (2000-2002) Rock Shox and Manitou forks

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider 29 / 2009 Reba Team (with Black Box internals) / Stans ZTR 355 29er with DT 240S hubs / Race Face Deus XC cockpit / X-9 RD + triggers / SLX FD / XTR cranks / XT cassette / Wipperman / King HS / Specialized The Captain 2Bliss with Stan's

Submitted by D90fan a Weekend Warrior from Highland, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Lateral stiffness, Lots of tuning adjustment

Weaknesses:    U-Turn

Bottom Line:
I bought the fork with the u-turn travel adjust, don't recommend it at all. The u-turn function began having problems after about 20 miles. SRAM sent a new left cartridge assembly, the fork was rebuilt by my LBS, worked beautifully for another 50 miles then started having problems again. I'm done with the U-turn. Cool idea, but not worth the hassle its been causing me. SRAM customer service is phenomenal! They are sending me a new non u-turn version with a set of cranks to make up for the price difference between the forks. I haven't had the fork very long, but I've taken it through a variety of terrain near home, in Moab, and in Fruita. It handles rough and technical terrain well very, no noticeable flex.

Favorite Trail:   Amassa Back