RockShox Reba SL 29er 29er Forks

• 1-1/8" threadless

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by gmascagni a Weekend Warrior from Alpharetta GA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2010

Strengths:    Very Adjustable, remote lock out, dual air.

Weaknesses:    Weak seals

Bottom Line:
    I had the fork less than two rides and the bottom seal blew. Remote lock didnt work and travel of the fork is hindered by all the oil sitting in the bottom of the fork. this is a 2010 model fork so apprently they have NOT fixed the issues others have reported with thier forks.

Favorite Trail:   Chickopee Woods

Similar Products Used:   other RockShok SID, Fox Float, Lefty

Bike Setup:   2010 VooDoo Canzo29

Submitted by rob1208lv a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    Light Weight stout trustworthy (hasn't leaked) Dual Air

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
    I really like these forks I haven't had to do any unnecessary maintenance, were with my fox forks I had to change the wipers and seals 2 times in 1 year.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Las Vegas Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   rigid, fox float, fox vanilla

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD 1x9

Submitted by Holmes a Weekend Warrior from Berthoud, CO

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2010

Strengths:    Light, easy to tweak

Weaknesses:    poor quality control (at least on the 2009 models I have tried)

Bottom Line:
    Rock Shox needs to take a good long look at their quality control. I went through FOUR forks - the first had pin holes in the magnesium lowers that leaked oil, the other three all hydro-locked within the first 15 minutes (or less) of riding.

The main problem is the lower damper seal housing (in the rebound chamber). It's a cheap plastic bit that holds the o-ring. If oil gets past it into the lower fork leg it will feel like the fork has almost no travel and is bottoming out constantly.

I eventually got PUSH Industries to rebuild my fork (paid for by LBS that sold me the fork) which includes a high-spec aluminum damper seal housing to replace the crap plastic bit from Rock Shox. That said - once rebuilt by PUSH it's a GREAT fork.

Purchased At:   Rocky Mountain Cycle

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey

Submitted by 247 a Cross Country Rider from Philly

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Strengths:    Adjustability, Price.

Bottom Line:
    Put a 'Race' damper in it. Best Fork I have ever ridden. Small and Big bump compliance is Incredible. Uses all travel I can give it. Never had a 'Fox' but do not know how they could improve on this(Especially if it isn't as adjustable as the Reba). It is like having a whole new bike compared to the older Reba.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, MD.

Purchased At:   locally

Similar Products Used:   2007 Reba Race 29er

Bike Setup:   GF Paragon

Submitted by luvanicejump a Cross Country Rider from Keene

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2009

Strengths:    takes sharp bumps well, adjustability I suppose....

Weaknesses:    DOES NOT FULLY LOCK OUT!!!!!
    When I want to lock the front out, it's almost as if the function doesn't even work. There's barely any difference. There should be a steel pin you can press in and out to truly lock out the front. I've biffed a few time because of bottoming out with the shock. I think I'm heading back to a stiff front end.

Bottom Line:
    Can't stand this thing. I guess my head is hard wired from a very young age of riding BMX rigid bikes and learning to take the bumps and jumps with your body instead of having shocks. Can't stand shocks now...
    This is the first front shock I've ever had on a bike, but from the experience of it...I would have to be given a different one to try it. I'll never buy another front shock fork again.

Favorite Trail:   Ashwheelot trail

Purchased At:   Belmont Wheelworks,

Similar Products Used:   none, first front shock

Bike Setup:   GF Rig 29er...yadda...yadda....

Submitted by davek a Cross Country Rider from santa fe, nm

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
    This is for a 2007 Reba -
    After souring on Fox because of incompetent, rude, and unhelpful customer service, I decided to try the Reba for my 29er(s). Maybe I have been lucky but I have had zero problems with this fork in more than 2 years. The positive/negative chambers allow a wide range of adjustment coupled with rebound and compression damping, which I tend to leave wide open.

I weigh 160 and race and I haven't felt the noodliness some complain of. It can be set to ride plush or stiffer for racing and I have found either way I rarely bottom it but get wonderful ride all the time.

I did replace the original seals with Enduro seals when I changed the travel from 80 to 100 and they actually ooze some oil, unlike the originals that lost nothing.

As a plus, I have had to contact SRAM a couple times for small parts and help and they have been the opposite of Fox - always incredibly helpful and accommodating. I hope they can keep that up, it makes a huge differenc to me. Older RochShox suffered from inadequate bushing size, poor reliability, etc. The takeover by SRAM appears to have corrected those problems.

I wonder if the leakage from the neg chamber that some complain of is just the inner valve stem having some dirt or being a little stuck. I have experienced that on the pos side but all that was required was removing/cleaning the valve core. Someone complained that the pos air leaked into the neg chamber and said the local shop put in Enduro seals and it didn't fix the problem. Of course that wouldn't fix it - those seals are jsut for the oil/air at the top of the leg. The seal between the pos and negs is inside the shock leg and could be replaced with a rebuild kit from SRAM.

I love this fork!

Submitted by mamasitatire a Cross Country Rider from state college, pa, usa

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Lockout

Bottom Line:
    Someone talked me back into Rock Shox now that they are owned by SRAM. Out of the box the lockout doesn't work - Called SRAM they said oil might be wrong or maybe compression something or other was broken - I said fix it so I can sell it on ebay and I am getting a FOX!

Bike Setup:   Salsa Mamasita

Submitted by dillrepair a Cross Country Rider from milwaukee, wi

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Strengths:    I have the 2010 model. perhaps some of the problems mentioned about previous models are gone. So far this fork appears very solid, very smooth, very adjustable. I've only had the bike for a few months so we'll see about reliability.

Weaknesses:    none that i've found yet... i want to purchase the remote damping adjuster because this unit begs to be played with on-trail.

Bottom Line:
    It works well, and i haven't experienced any of the loose feel mentioned by other reviewers about previous model years.
    This is the best front fork I've ever ridden.... i dunno if that says much, but I'm impressed and enjoying it.

Favorite Trail:   makwa trail, camba system

Purchased At:   original equipment o

Bike Setup:   shock came stock on 2010 specialized stumpy comp 29

Submitted by agabrielj a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks good, paint is tough, but most of all it's still smooth. Has not leaked oil or air ever.

Bottom Line:
    I love this fork. It came on a 2007 Gary Fisher xcal. I'll keep it until it breaks. I've heard some people buy the Rebas and blow seals very quickly or leak oil, but this is a specific review on my fork and I'll give it 5 chilis for performance. Oh yeah, it's a 2007 model.

Favorite Trail:   Waverly/Ft Duffield

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox SID, Manitou Black, Marzocchi Race

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD with above average components.

Submitted by creekchubb a Cross Country Rider from Omaha Ne

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2009

Strengths:    Works great, tunable, easily maintained

Bottom Line:
    I weigh 210- 215, and I ride pretty hard. I dont notice much flex or anything else. This fork is easily tuned for body weight, and riding style. Adjusting travel, and maintence is a breeze

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Submitted by XTCphil a Cross Country Rider from Prince George, BC Ca

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    Adjustable travel, simple problem free damper cartridge. Light for 32mm stantions. Good price

Weaknesses:    After owning many Dual Air Rockshox forks this is my first
    potentialy exspensive failure. As another reviewer had exsperience (without a solution)the main air chamber bleads down into the negative chamber. I pulled apart the air valve and found a nasty score from the shear pin which holds the top main air seal on the shaft. The pin is loose enough to work it's way out until it starts shaving material off the inside of the station.
    So now it needs a station. Will contact SRAM for a solution. Will post again with the final resolution.

Bottom Line:
    It is worth a check to make sure the shear pin of the upper seal/piston is in tight. I believe the press fit on the shear pin is not enough. This is easily fixed if caught early enough, by replacing the pin with the next size up and redriling with the correct size drill. This is the first real issue I have been unable to fix inexspensivly, not like some other fork manufacturers.

Any questions cmoorspevanson@mag-net.com

Favorite Trail:   3 Blind Mice

Purchased At:   GT Test Bike

Similar Products Used:   A number or Reba's and Psylo Race, Fox air and coil models

Bike Setup:   GT 29er full syspension, now with a Psylo Race 26 inch on the front.

Submitted by Mike N. a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Light, cheap to buy.

Weaknesses:    Loose, floppy handling. I bought this fork to replace a Marzocchi SL with worn-out guide bushings. Imagine my joy when I took it out and discovered that it was looser than the 'Zokey, right out of the box! You'll think your headset is loose, but it's the legs of the fork shifting around.

Bottom Line:
    Very disappointed. Will replace ASAP.

Favorite Trail:   Mo' Pi'