RockShox Pike RCT3 Solo Air 29er Forks

Mountain bikers the world over mourned the day that RockShox discontinued the Pike. After all, it was the archetypal aggressive-use, single crown fork that was just as at home on big jumps as it was on all-day rides. So it goes without saying that we were ecstatic when RockShox announced the Pike...

Submitted by MrCookie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2014

Strengths:    Light, smooth and compliant with a progressive bottomless feel. I didn't hit bottom on a low speed 5 foot to flat drop. On the twisty flat sections of trail it felt just right too (it didn't dive in corners, but soaked up the little stuff).

Weaknesses:    The one I tried was the 2 position model. There was about a mile of mostly flat windy trail where I wish I had a pedal mode, but in the end I was so pleased with the overall performance that I wouldn't hesitate to get this fork.

Bottom Line:
This was on a Niner WFO that I demo'd last weekend. I was surprised at how smooth, compliant, and bottomless it felt. The frame and fork together were very well matched.
I have been riding XC 29ers (hard tail to 4 inch travel) for the last 10 years and usually keep an all mountain 26er (5.5 to 6.5 inch travel) for longer more varied terrain rides. Where suspension is concerned, I have mixed it up a lot over the years (Maverick SC and DUC, RS Rebas and Dukes, Marzocchi AM and FR, Fox Vanilla).
This fork didn't feel heavy or overly soft and limp like other long travel forks I have ridden in the past. This fork is perfect for the taller riders looking to get into the longer travel 29er bikes that are now on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Funner

Duration Product Used:   1 day

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized E150 would be close, but too finicky.

Bike Setup:   2014 Niner WFO9 with XO1 build.