RockShox Dart 3 29er 29er Forks

2.25/5 (4 Reviews)

• Travel: 100mm
  • Spring Type: Coil
  • Steer Tube Diameter: 1 1/8'' (Steel)
  • Axle Type: Quick Release
  • Brake Mount: Disc (74mm Post Mount)

Submitted by jellytronics a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Brute strength of the stanchions makes this a good tool for defense against animal attacks. Can also be used as a table-support in the event the leg of your dining room table is malfunctioning.

"Heavy is gud, heavy iz reliable...if it does not vork you can always hit him with it." - Boris the Blade (see:Snatch)

Weaknesses:    Heavy, poor absorption of...hmm, everything.

Bottom Line:
The downfall of this table-support--err fork, is its intended use. And that's to act as suspension on a mountain bike. I think I'd much rather use a rigid fork or just run down hills with my two own legs. If you value your life, do not attempt to ride this downhill. The intensity of the vibration I felt throughout the framework of my hardtail as I descended can be described as--no, only hinted at, by words like pandemonium, maelstrom, bedlam...I say hinted at because words do this phenomenon no justice. There are some sort of adjustment knobs on it but I think they're primarily for aesthetics. I just don't know what happened here. I think Rockshox might have a sense of humor, and this fork is it.

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven

Purchased At:   Borrowed from friend

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reba RLT
Rockshox Revelation

Bike Setup:   SS 32x20 Outcast 29er

Submitted by Fuze911 a Cross Country Rider from Owings Mills

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Can be used as hammer in case your actual hammer has been misplaced.

Weaknesses:    Adjustments to fork do very little to anything in regards to comfort. Weighs a ton. Jaw shuddering over rocks and roots. Bottoms out if looked at funny.

Bottom Line:
Al thought i think you would be better off on a rigid fork, the dart 3 is a good fork to get you out and about on your bike. It should still be the first thing to get upgraded. Once you get another fork, you will wonder why you didnt do it earlier and you will have a whole knew experience.

Favorite Trail:   MD

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reba (2006,2010)

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom 29, Rocky Mountain Altitude 29

Submitted by Deevo a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Everything. This fork is a huge piece of junk. I bought it for my SS 29er to replace the rigid fork. After about 5 rides I put the rigid fork back on the bike. Vibrates violently during braking and cornering. The only time I notice a difference vs. the rigid fork is on big hits.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this piece of junk. If it is all you can afford, you will be better off saving some money and getting something that is higher quality.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Fox 32, Rock Shox Sektor

Submitted by mwarner57 a Cross Country Rider from Marin County, CA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2011

Strengths:    -Inexpensive
-Lockout works
-Nicely controlled damping

Weaknesses:    -Heavy
-Gear weenies will laugh at you

Bottom Line:
I installed this fork on my Zion to replace a Suntour fork that was scavenged from a hybrid. Needless to say, this was a significant upgrade. I can now take the worst downhills at high speeds without worrying about the front end. The compression damping seems a bit excessive, but could probably be improved with some lighter weight oil.It works well enough for the SS that I am going to leave mine alone. Despite only having 28mm stanchions, the fork seems fairly rigid, at least for my 180lbs. It's no Reba, but well worth the money spent.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   -Rockshox Reba SL, Rockshox Revelation, Fox 100RL, Suntour NX3500

Bike Setup:   Zion 737EBB SS with the cheapest parts available.