On-One Superlight Carbon 29'' 29er Forks

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 912 grams

What we've done with this fork is have a different crown on the 29in model, to give more rake, using the same dropouts. 29in forks have 470mm axle-crown dimension, with 47mm rake.

Submitted by ewarnerusa a Cross Country Rider from Helena, Montana, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    lightweight (2.0 lbs), precise steering, no max rotor limit (195 lb rider and used a 203 mm rotor for several months), great customer service

Weaknesses:    flexy, some brake chatter, excessive lawyer tabs makes quick releases not so quick

Bottom Line:
This a rigid fork and delivers a rigid fork ride, although the carbon damping does smooth things out. This fork came on my bike and customer service from On One was excellent when I had a non-manufacturing related failure and they hooked me up with a great deal on replacement. Only 2.0 pounds. No max brake rotor limit was put to the test as I used a 203 mm rotor for several months and it stopped my 195 lbs with no issues. A little brake chatter at times, seems better when I changed to a 185 mm brake rotor. It is a bit flexy and I have issues with the brake pads rubbing the rotors during switchback turns and standing hammerfests. I back the pads out as far out as I can manage and still have strong braking, but the rubbing issue is always there. Bottom line is this fork seems great for a lightweight carbon rigid fork and no max rotor limit, but it is flexy.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Reba Race

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Dambala 29er SS

Submitted by Luke Wardle a Cross Country Rider from North Walsham

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2006

Strengths:    Price, weight comfort. No maximum rotor size or rider weight limit.

Weaknesses:    None really apart from the niggling doubt about carbon fibre.

Bottom Line:
Sharp handling and providing more damping than any rigid fork I've yet ridden. I always equate carbon fibre with catastrophic faliure, and was reluctant to put the fork on my bike but after a few rider induced errors that I thought would have resulted in a loud snap I've ceased to worry. The crown and dropouts are nicely thought out and I had no problems with the rotor being close to the dropouts as others have reported, must be one of those fork/hub/brake combo things (I run an Avid BB7 disc on a Hope hub).

Favorite Trail:   The Silver Darling

Purchased At:   Direct from On One

Similar Products Used:   Steel forks from Surly, Vicious Cycles and Solitude.

Bike Setup:   Niner One9

Submitted by Mark Baumgartner a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2006

Strengths:    Price, documented testing made public, compliance.

Weaknesses:    I had some concern over geometry as the fork has 47mm of rake and is shorter than the rigid fork spec'd for my bike-a Niner Sir 9 with 72 HA that is built around the Reba at 40mm rake and 490mm A-C. The trail of my ride is at 67-69 mm and my head angle is steeper. Bottom line is I thought the fork would be too quick in handling on my Sir 9 frame.
Minimal clearance wityh the from rotar but it clears so its not a problem.

Bottom Line:
My Sir 9 does handle quicker and I am not always used to it yet it is not a problem just different. The rigid fork experience is more noticable. This fork asorbs the little stuff nicely. I ride confidently with it. I would buy it again at $100 to $150 less than the competition. I am also impressed with On One customer service and their attitude towards dioing business and being real. I wont go back to my Reba on this frame.

Favorite Trail:   Palm Canyon

Purchased At:   Zed Sport Direct

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first rigid fork.

Bike Setup:   Sir 9 large single speed, XT crank, Avid Juicy 7, salsa carbon handle bar, Thomson stem and post. King ss hub laced to Salsa Delgado discs.

Submitted by mike heesom a Racer from merseyside

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    weight, looks, performance

Weaknesses:    very little clearance to disk rotor, but it works, just

Bottom Line:
after using standard forks for a few weeks the carbon ones came onto the market. My riding was mainly commuting to and from work which equates to approx 150 miles per week, covering tracks, road, park paths, canal banks, steps, bus lanes.
The differance in performance was worth the pice tag alone, let alone the benefits from saving 1lb in weight and looking 100% better.
Normal bumps and hits were handled no problem, and general ride quality was brilliant.
Who should buy it, everyone who rides rigid forks and can afford carbon.
YOU WILL SMILE AT THE DIFFERENCE
only slight worry was the lack of mud clearence between rotor and disk, but there again with well over 1,000 miles on problems at all.
In one sentence - Glad a bought them.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   on one

Similar Products Used:   alum standard forks

Bike Setup:   onone 29er, runing single speed / fixed
hope disk up front, v brake rear,

Submitted by Alex Baker a Cross Country Rider from Cheltenham, Glos. UK

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Strengths:    Light, strong AND cheap (Sorry Mr Bontrager!)
Correct off-set for 29er forks (=great handling)
Loads of mud room, well finished and the polished bits match Phil Wood hubs ;)

Weaknesses:    Err,....not found any yet.
I guess the lack of canti bosses might put some off but apparently the Pace ones fit :)

Bottom Line:
A light, comfortable 29er fork with the correct rake (offset = 47mm) for fast handling.

Favorite Trail:   Dowies, FoD