Maverick DUC32 29er Forks

3.75/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 3.9 lbs

The DUC32's rigid design and minimal weight provides the balance and control that is critical to a 29-inch bike's performance.

The DUC utilizes an internally butted hollow welded upper “H” section with a top-clamp that features an integrated stem. Now add an ultralight 8mm hollow steerer shaft, our proprietary 24/7 front hub, a Climbing Mode that drops the fork 2”, inverted fork technology that bathes the seals in oil. Adjustable features include rebound, air pressure, oil volume and viscosity.

Submitted by Salad.NZ a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Build quality, plushy, easy to adjust, best suitable for all mountain riding

Weaknesses:    takes a bit longer to put on the front wheel

Bottom Line:
The best shock for all mountain riding, have used for 1 yr without any shown weakness for an intermediate rider over various terrains and trails.

responsive in controlled descending, good sensitivity over small bumps at speed (sensitive without affecting steering/controlling), great steering at any given speed and condition. SAVED me many many time from potential loss of control and falling!

I have serviced her regularly and never had any problems so far after 1 year of my own riding and 3 yrs riding from its first owner.. really don't understand why a couple ppl here gave quite low ticks for this killer of all mountains, DUC32 is probably the best shock for all mountain riding.

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill, Riverhead

Purchased At:   comes with my maveri

Similar Products Used:   Fox shocks

Bike Setup:   ML-8, all mountain

Submitted by Bunjinjohn a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, plush feel, different look, customer service

Weaknesses:    As much as I like how it rides...

Even after replacing seals and seal heads, it soon develops leaks on both sides. The worst one is the left, ruining yet another set of brake pads and nearly killing me more than once. I kept riding it, thinking the next set of seals would solve the problem.

The "climbing mode" kept failing. Within a few rides after a damper re-build, it simply quit working. I virtually never used it because it quit working so routinely.

It has virtually no external adjustability. What it does have has very limited, almost undetectable, range. It's technology is simply trails other brands.

The last straw came during a four-day trip that included Bootleg Canyon and other trails around Las Vegas. I had just replaced the seals and seal heads, yet the fork started seeping oil around the top of the right leg, clunking during compression, and developed leaks in both seals. I had to take the front brake off every night and thoroughly alcohol clean it and everything around it, but since the fork continued to leak, often leaving a puddle on the garage floor by morning, I had to clean off some oil every time we stopped to re-group during rides. Even so, oil eventually made it onto the rotor, making further descending kind of sketchy.

While I appreciate that I could work on this fork myself, I sure spent a lot of time doing just that. It may be light, but I simply got tired of what a pain it is to maintain and always worrying when I was going to discover the hard way that it had barfed on my front rotor again. This trip was the last straw. After replacing seals and seal heads, it let me down again. I was the only one with non crash-related mechanical issues and mine was the only one of ten bikes with a Maverick fork. I also realized as I unpacked just now that the majority of the parts and tools I took with me were in case I had to service my fork. It's pretty bad when you take it for granted that you'll need to work on something.

While I give Maverick customer service high marks, I did as they suggested, but could not stave off the leaks. Incidentally, when I first got my fork, the uppers had to be replaced due to severe leaking, as in gobs of oil visibly oozing down the stanchions. Later, a batch of bad seals caused more leaking. While those problems were addressed, even with new seals and seal heads, oil still seeps out within a couple of rides.

Bottom Line:
My riding style has changed since I bought this fork and I prefer more technical riding for which I think other forks are better suited. Technically savvy friends think the leakage may be due to the "upside down" fork design allowing enough flex during technically demanding maneuvers to compromise the seal-stanchion interface, but I've had leakage problems from the beginning before I rode much technical stuff.

I got four years of use out of it, but not without a lot of anxiety and giving it plenty of attention. My bike is at the shop getting a Fox Talas 36 RC2 put on it. I'm willing to sacrifice a little weight gain for a lot more reliability and the travel adjust is simply a bonus that may more than compensate for any other shortcomings. Most of my friends run Fox forks, but I liked having something different and light, and I didn't want to follow the herd. But sometimes the herd is right.

The bottom line for me is that if all you care about is weight and love opening up your fork and tinkering with it, go ahead and get it. I'd rather ride.

Favorite Trail:   Pass Mountain

Purchased At:   Rose Canyon Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I've only ever used Mavericks.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo

Submitted by llandau a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    has been totally reliable

Weaknesses:    not progressive enough

Bottom Line:
Its been totally reliable for 3 years of hard riding. I have taken it off numerous 3-4 foot drops and come up long and short on jumps many time (sometimes I even hit the transition). I have had no problems. It does bottom hard when you blow your line but as long as it doesn't break I don't care too much. Excellent laterial stiffness even with the 29er wheel. If it feels flexable its in your head (or yours isn't as well built as mine). Could be more progressive but that might be my setup. Should have more rebound adjustment for sure. As for peeps not liking it being a triple...did you not notice that before you bought it?? I think it looks totally awesome and its build quality is second to non. Thing is real expensive thats for sure.

Purchased At:   used at pink bike

Similar Products Used:   various marzocchi over the years

Bike Setup:   Giant stp dirt jumper with 69er wheels, 1x9 drive train

Submitted by crazylogger a Cross Country Rider from pinemartenlogging@yahoo.com

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2009

Strengths:    Simple, reliable, smooth and durable.

Bottom Line:
I just bought my wife one.

Favorite Trail:   world's greatest (Eagle), CO

Purchased At:   Mtn. Peddler (Eagle)

Similar Products Used:   Fox 32 Talas

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo full XTR

Submitted by cyk a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2008

Strengths:    Light, stiff, lockdown feature, sexy. Small bump performance is fantasticly sensitive.

Weaknesses:    Dual crown gets in the way....sometimes my knees hit the backs of the fork legs; dual crown also limits lock. Dedicated hub is annoying.....doesn't allow for much in the way of hub choices. Wheel removal is cumbersome. Roof rack transport requires a full tray mount.......fork mounts won't work! Damping and quality of travel isn't as sophisticated as Fox or Rock Shox.

Bottom Line:
While the fork may be light, stiff, and sexy, it's quality of travel doesn't measure up to either Fox or Rock Shox. Add the annoyances of the dual crown, proprietary hub, and transport issues, I'd have to give this fork a thumbs down.

Purchased At:   Evergreen Bicycle Ou

Similar Products Used:   Fox f29, Rock Shox Reba29

Bike Setup:   Trek 69er singlespeed

Submitted by Clinterous a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2008

Strengths:    Really Light and Very stiff to and fro. Lockout Knob is easy and very effective. I like the idea how it actually drops the travel. Especailly good for climbing steep stuff and out of the saddle stomps.

Weaknesses:    The twist in the fork under breaking is a bit of a put off. I too over tighten the drop out levers. I dont think this is a good way to fix this "problem". As I have broken one in the past because of this. The fork has very limited compression dampening. Actually really has no difference. Bobbing is a fairly big issue with this fork. Especially run in 26er mode. I am a little tired of how hard this fork is to get riding right. I think I have spent a good 40hrs maintainingthis fork and trying to get the compression damper to actually do something.

Bottom Line:
This fork is good. However I think there are plenty of drawbacks.
Maintenance
Adjusting
Twist under breaking and hard cornering
Lack of setting.

THis fork is lovely it its way it is made however has some pretty serious set backs.
I thkn the likes of the 09 reba and fox 29er forks really out do this fork easy.

Favorite Trail:   That One

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden a few different units in this model and have always liked the idea of these forks.

Bike Setup:   Its been on a Fisher Paragon 29er for 6 months not and rides rally nice. I thought it would be to much for this frame as it is only intended for an 80mm travel form. I think with the bigger offset that an 07-08 reba it works fine. Before that it was on a Lenz Leviathan for 6 months and rode well on that also.

Submitted by Art a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Strengths:    When it's right it rides really well and all is right in the world.
Laterally stiff
Light

Weaknesses:
Finicky to set up
Leaky, needs frequent Maintenance
Specific hub and stem make it very expensive

Bottom Line:
I wasn't in love with this fork at first. It bottomed or was harsh with more air. I bought it used and it leaked oil so I sent it to Blue Sky in Boulder for tuning, they did a nice job and put 10wt oil in the damper. When I got it back I learned to add oil to the air spring to make it more progressive and had it set up perfectly after some tuning on my own.
Now it's bottoming occasionally where it didn't before. Maybe I have to add oil to the spring again. I've replaced the seals twice and it still leaks but only on one side so I'm living with it. Maybe I need another rebuild or maybe another fork.
Summary: When it's right it's awesome. Hard to keep 'right'.

Favorite Trail:   Hidden Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Marz, RS and Manitou

Bike Setup:   Rip 9 now, Lev before. I weigh 180lbs.

Submitted by lil hillbilly a Cross Country Rider from springfield

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2006

Strengths:    !!!!4lbs !!!! Best 4+ inch double crown XC fork ever. That has alot to do with what this fork is all about. The wheel also builds up super stiff (Mavercik hub, Delgato Cross 32h, 14g spokes, 3 cross). This fork tracks on downhills like no other. Very cool travel ruduction knob for climing or I use it mostly when on smooth to mod tech single track to increase quickness in handling. There is about an inch of travel left no true lock out.

Weaknesses:    Double crown. no spinnin the bars when jumping the 40'gap. Cant use your stem (big deal). last weakness, The competition.

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best XC fork I have ever had the joy of using. Ridden and owned WB, RC and marz. The coolest thing is the plushness. Tracking on downhills, no better. The hub, 24mm big axel, thats cool. The Uppers on the DUC are welded very well and look good. I like most the option of travel reduction and the DUC delivers. I had Maverick do the conversion and then changed oil to reduce brake dive. No mech. problems what so ever. Seals still good and all still in good working order after a year of riding (500ml).

Purchased At:   Queen City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   zero simlar prod. any other upside down double crown 29er forks that weigh 4 pounds?

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit 29er. 1x9 or SS

WTD: DUC32 lower leg - disk side (or full forks to break up)

Hi all Hoping to keep my 8 year old ML7/5 running for a little longer yet. I've cracked the disk-side fork dropout on the DUC32. Willing to buy full forks (especially if another part broken). I'm in the UK, but don't mind importing internationally. Cheers! AlexRead More »

Anybody want to trade a "Long" DUC32 stem for a "short" one 31.8 ofcourse..

My long one is the three positions adjustable and has less than 10 hours of riding, but is to long on my ML7 even on the shortest setting so I'm looking for a three position but the short version. [ATTACH=CONFIG]872011[/ATTACH] Here is the stem I have for trade. [ATTACH=CONFIG]872010[/ATTACH] ... Read More »

W.T.B. another Maverick DUC32 (this will be my 5th)

I even place a add [URL="http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=91683"][B]Here[/B][/URL] Cosmetic condition not so critical since I plan to paint it white, I already have the top triple clamp and the shaft but I do need a 31.8 adjustable stem in "short" I will pay fair market val ... Read More »

"Drillium" on DUC32 upper triple clamp, or maybe I went to far.. !?

Long story short one of my DUC's is a little tweak and requires a little assistance to get the upper clamp in and out (is very minimal but is there) In any case taking the clamp out I mess the really thin part where the slot reside on the clamp (with a drift, dummy), well I decide to cut it out.. ... Read More »

Krampus and Maverick DUC32

This may be of interest to some..... I fancied putting some bounce on the front of my Krampus and having seen the lack of clearance with Fox and other forks I thought that the DUC32 would be a good choice. I found and bought some on eBay for a decent price, and then got to adapting them. Th ... Read More »