Manitou Tower Pro 29er Forks

4.53/5 (15 Reviews)

TheTower Pro gives you a lightweight 29er fork with excellent damping and rebound.The MARS Air system withTheTwo small springs and air chamber reduce stiktion and offer smooth bottomlessTravel. Manitou also includeTheTPC+ Activation dampingThat givesTheTower Pro a compression adjusting dial atTheTop ofThe right fork and a rebound adjuster atThe bottom ofThe right fork. Additionally,TheTPC+ augmentThe system with another damping adjustmentThatTakesThe fork position into accountTo further fineTun

Submitted by dprimm a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2014

Strengths:    Price, Weight, Ease of Use, 15mm QR system

Weaknesses:    Possibly claimed weight (haven't put it on a scale to verify) other than that none thus far

Bottom Line:
I picked this up on eBay for a great price $200 delivered. This replaced a Fox F29 that I sold because the steer tube was just a little to short for my frame. So far I am happy with this fork although I am not sure it is actually as light as Manitou states it is. According to Manitou it should have been about 1/4lb lighter than my Fox was but it actually feels slightly heavier (could just be me though). I run it fairly firm so I have not had any issues with bottoming. Great fork for the price no need to spend $600+ when forks of this quality are available for much less.

Favorite Trail:   3 Peaks (Cedar City Utah)

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Chinese Carbon hardtail frame with SRAM X7/X9 drivetrain 1x10, Fulcrum Red Power 29XL wheels current bike weight with Crank Bros 50/50 pedals 24.6lbs, 23.5lbs without pedals...

Submitted by copylatte a Racer

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2014

Strengths:    Excellent small bump compliance, Adjust-ability is unmatched in the industry, smooth yet stiff. My feeling whenever riding with this fork is one of COMPLETE SATISFACTION. It really is that good, and consistently puts a smile on my face...

Weaknesses:    Slight fore-aft flexibility; however, I wouldn't characterize this a weakness given the overall feel / excellence of the fork (basically once you get a feel for the fork you can adjust riding without losing anything)....

Bottom Line:
I've put approximately 250 rough Pacific NW miles on this fork so far this year and it is amazing. In the recent past, I've ridden X-fusion Slide and RockShox Reba and it blows the X-Fusion out of the water in terms of small bump compliance and almost every other category (except equal on stiffness) while being very comparable with the Rockshox in plushness. I believe the Manitou is better on small bump compliance than either and just feels GREAT throughout the travel....

I'm running a 120mm, tapered, thru bolt, and lateral stiffness is fine. If there is one major plus on the Manitou it is the adjustability of the fork both in the shop (different springs / oil thickness) and on the ride (8 clicks is a lot of adjustability).

I personally LOVE the on-the-fly adjustability. I've ridden the same loops many times in different configurations and can immediately tell differences in speed and characteristics of the bike. So for instance, If I want small bump compliance and sit and pedal over roots, rocks, etc. I keep it soft with a couple clicks....If I want to be more aggressive on the same loop mid ride, I just click it a few notches up and get after it. If I want to feel like a rigid but not quite locked out, I'll click it up 5-6 times....and so on (until it locks out). No other fork has this amount of adjustability and it does make a difference on every ride. I've got it dialed to specific settings for specific trails and it makes me faster and more confident on each trail (I've know this because I've compared my times and comfort levels with different settings).

So, for the price, this fork will not be beaten.....take out the price and you still won't beat it. It's as good as or better than any offering on the market and will give you complete satisfaction every ride especially when you pass your buddy who is either getting beat to death on his fork or trying not to go over the bars with plushness.....

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   X-fusion, RockShox,

Submitted by provin1327 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2014

Strengths:    Cost, ease of install, weight, smooth operation

Bottom Line:
For $250 I picked up an 80mm tower pro for my 29er Airborne . I can't believe how amazing this fork is. Yes I am coming from a total hunk of junk rock shox xc 28 I expected to feel a big change, but not like this. The fork absorbs every little bump, keeping me and the bike level and under control. The confidence I gained on descents is amazing, the bike is just so much more stable. I would highly recommend this fork for any XC riding. I paid much lower than MSRP but even at the MSRP price this fork is worth it. It's light, smooth, responsive, and easy to set up.

Purchased At:   www,pricepoint.com

Submitted by Earthpig a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Strengths:    Inexpensive, good small bump feel, stiff, 48mm offset, plush

Weaknesses:    Harsh feeling top-out on the rebound

Bottom Line:
Best value in a fork I think I've ever ridden. I have the 100mm travel QR version on an On-one Lurcher carbon hardtail frame. Paid $250 from Pricepoint (list price was $550.) I've ridden nothing but Fox (meh) and Rock Shox forks for most of the last 15 years. I'd say the Tower Pro feels better than all Fox forks I've ever ridden (except the very first TALAS) and nearly as good as a Rock Shox Reba of the same travel. Plush, nice small bump feel, laterally stiff, tracks well, and did you see that price? My only gripe would be that it has a relatively harsh "top-out" on the rebound. (I'm used to the smooth top-out feel on the Rock Shox dual air forks, so this one feels a bit more harsh.) Otherwise, so far, no complaints. 85% of the performance of a similar Rock Shox fork at 25% of the price.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float, Fox TALAS, Rock Shox Reba, Rock Shox Revelation

Bike Setup:   On-one Lurcher carbon hardtail, XT wheelset, brakes and drivetrain

Submitted by vack a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2014

Strengths:    Butter Smooth, Adjustable lockout, 15QR, Adjustability.

Weaknesses:    White shows marks, scratches easily. That backwards brake arch makes mounting a mud flap a little weird, but not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
I have a full season on this fork, a 120mm version. It's mounted on a Lynskey Pro 29 Frame. I wanted the 120mm because my previous bike had 100mm which was good....but I figured a lil more wouldn't hurt, especially with my heavier frame 230#.
The first thing I did was get the Clyde kit direct from Manitou. Installed it, reoiled it, put air in it, rode it, adjusted the air, and I haven't touched it since....really it's just awesome. The 15QR system they have is really good and quick, no guess work. I'm don't like to monkey with too many settings, once I get something that's good, I normally don't mess with it. As far as stiffness and what not, I have used 3 29er forks since I've been into 29ers. The first was a QR Rockshox Reba, the fork itself was great for years, but I didn't really understand flex until I rode a taper 15QR fork....Light Years stiffer. This Tower Pro was on par with the stiffness I experienced with the Fox Talas 29 with 15QR on my Superfly 100. This is a great fork, and at a good price. IMO it's the steal of the industry. I've had many people ask to take my bike for a ride, and the first thing they say is, wow that fork is awesome, even before they comment on the twisted tube ride of my Lynskey......So that to me speaks volumes.

Favorite Trail:   American Standard

Duration Product Used:   1 Season

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Reba, Fox Talas 29

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Pro 29

Submitted by peteer01 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2013

Strengths:    Fantastic bang for the buck, adjustable, and very enjoyable to ride both on the trails and locked out on the road.

Weaknesses:    The stock spring and adjustable air pressure won't fit heavier riders.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 120mm travel version of this fork after twice breaking my XC 28 fork that this replaced, as the difference is night and day, even when the XC 28 is working as intended. I have an XCR on my 26er, so I already knew the XC 28 was garbage, but I was extremely impressed by how much better this performs than the XCR I was reasonably happy with.

The first day I had this on the trails, I was finding myself surprised an hour in when I'd jarringly hit something on the rear wheel with my hardtail because the front fork was doing such a good job of just rolling over everything.

Definitely a great fork, and for the price, I am absolutely thrilled with it.

Favorite Trail:   Luther Forest

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   XCR 011 (100mm, 26er), XC 28 (100mm)

Submitted by thomllama a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2013

Strengths:    PRICE!!! Service!! long lasting...

Weaknesses:    lack of spring kit availability,

Bottom Line:
I've gone through a bunch of different forks. All have been unreliable at best and have not been a decent riding fork. There are way too many "racer: types who basically use a suspension fork as a rigid, that will absorb big hits only. I was a suspension fork to absorb the 1" tree branch as well as the 4ft drop. And the Manitou's are the only one I've found that does both. There are many who will say it's "too plush" but the thing is if they have it set up correctly it will be plush, but wont bottom out except on the very big drops/hits. I remember when the truth of a suspension was.. "if you don't bottom out a suspension once or twice a ride you have it too Hard"

I jumped from Quick release to 20MM for the first time with this fork so that most likely helps with the stiffer control of the fork,.. but it most certainly has less flexy feel than any other fork I've ever ridden.

If you are racing I can see where you'd want a stiffer ride, but the average rider should be able to appreciate the plushness when they get home after a long ride and their arms aren't all stiff and sore. And if you want stiffer you can do it by adding a Under $30 ride kit.... find one other company that sells a "tuning kit" for that kinda $$$..?

People who just aren't mechanically inclined may have issues with installing ride kits, but even taking it to a shop it's going to be cheaper than a equal fork is just to buy.
On the down side, I will say they have the ride kits are rated kinda off and should have firmer kits as standard (thou the newer ones have the Firm as standard instead of the mid) and if you think you want a firm, you probably want the extra firm. Also the ride kits are kinda hard to find in the x- firm and XX-firm ranges. Also the way they are marketed makes it harder to find.

Service is awesome and you as a customer can call, e-mail or what ever you prefer to contact Manitou and they will actually talk to you. Not like Fox and Rock Shox where you have to go through a shop who has a million other things going on and takes weeks sometimes to get a simple answer to a 2 minute question.

On a last note, it may seem silly, but I friggin hate leaves getting all tangled up between the tire and the fork. The reverse arch is a big + as it sheds leaves and you end up with that annoying leaf clicking noise MUCH less than with any other fork. Not that it stops it, but it's pretty much constant annoying sound for the whole ride here during New England Fall outings with any other fork but a Manitou.

Duration Product Used:   yr+

Similar Products Used:   rock Shox, Fox, limited White bros

Submitted by RedbeardHT a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, flex free, buttery smooth performance. Very tuneable fork.

Bottom Line:
These have been one of the best choices made in upgrading my new bike. These forks have so many adjustments you can play with or just leave them as delivered. They are so buttery smooth and respond to small changes. I set them up with out of the box recommendations and added a little more air to get the results I feel comfortable with. At a little over 3 lbs, these are a great addition to my bike! Beautiful castings and finish. I would recommend the Manitou Tower Pro to anyone!

Bike Setup:   2012 Cannondale Flash(Great bike with an Awesome fork, now)

Submitted by Luis raymundo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Strengths:    ,stiffness on 15qr,adjustability and tunability on its price range......

Weaknesses:    None to date....

Bottom Line:
First time to build a 29er...rode it and love it ..not much of a difference on 26er...only the ride height and bottom bracket clearance are on a higher side............Tower pro rides great during ascent with its lockout option and smooth descent are expected ....great fork,great price........

ibis mojo,fox talas rc2, hope v2 brakes and syncros cockpit and wheelset....

Purchased At:   Ross bikeshop phils.

Bike Setup:   Bike merida 29er xt edition hardtail on mavic crossride wheelset and crank bros. cockpit
ibis mojo,fox talas rc2, hope v2 brakes and syncros cockpit and wheelset....

Submitted by LuVn29N a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Price, stiffness, performance, and service

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
I purchased this for $330 on Ebay from Krakatoa Bikes..good service from them. When I got the fork, I realized it came with the heavy spring so I contacted Manitou that night and asked about a spring for my 285lbs. I received an email that night asking for my address as they had a prototype for somebody my size. I received it a few days later and was able to put it in myself. Manitou has great service from my point of view.

The fork has only about 60 miles on it and is not quite broke it. However, so far it has been great and much nicer than others I have used. It is easy to set up and stiff (even with 285 pushin oin it) with the 20mm axle. I love it. Bump compliance is great already and I would recommend this over any other 29 fork due to price and performance.

Favorite Trail:   Pioneer Bridle

Purchased At:   Krakatoa Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox, Fox, Rigid

Bike Setup:   Diamond Back Overdrive Frame, Saint Cranks, XO Grip Shift, XO Derailleurs, Straitline stem, Manitou Tower Pro Fork

Submitted by cobym2

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    Price
Thru-axle = stiffness
Plushness
Weight

Weaknesses:    Non-tool free axle, white color(?)

Bottom Line:
I bought this 2011 120mm, Hex 20mm axle version from Jenson's on sale for $349. I did so mainly because (aside from the low price), I needed a non-tapered steerer 29er fork for my 2008 Turner Sultan with 120mm, a thru axle for stiffness, and some damping adjustments. Really, this fork has checked off all those needs. The price was a bonus.

Upon receiving, the fork was decently light, and depending on the air pressure settings, can be quite plush or firm. I've already owned a Manitou Minute 29er (the predecessor of the Tower) and it held up very well for four years,with minimal maintenance. The minute is on another bike now.

Damper/Plushness: The Tower had basically the same ride characteristics as the minute (damping wise). I've learned that you have to be precise in the air pressure settings - Too low and it will be plush but dive too much ;Too high and it will lose some small bump compliance. Take your time and experiment on the pressures.

The difference between the Tower and the Minute is the ABS+ adjuster and stiffness.
ABS+: The Minute had the ABS (no +) damper, that had a bit vague settings from open to lockout. The ABS+ on the Tower has noticeable differences between each click/detent from open to full lockout.

Stiffness: The Tower is miles ahead of the MInute in stiffness, owing obviously to the Hex 20MM axle. The Minute's 9mm QR would squirm on dicey terrain. Not the Tower. This alone has greatly improved the descending and rock garden prowess of the bike.

Durability: Its been on 2 rides so too early to tell. But my earlier 2008 Minute 29er lasted 4 years of use/abuse and its still going strong. No issues. If the Tower is made of the same stuff (sure looks the same), then I'll be quite happy.

Others:
The fork is quite light.

The axle though, requires 2 different allen keys to remove, and the dropouts have no "lip" that guides the wheel axle into the right position to insert the axle. Its a bit inconvenient if you have to remove and re-install the front wheel repeatedly, but its a minor gripe thats easily overlooked once on the bike and riding through rough stuff.

The rebound adjuster at the bottom has a woefully short "throw" You get the full range of adjustments in around 3/4 of a turn of the knob. It would be nice to have some more turns for finer adjustments.

All in all, the fork is highly recommended, especially at sale price. Even at full retail, its a lot cheaper than a fox. This fork has practically everything I asked for.

Submitted by Goran_injo a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2011

Strengths:    Stiffness, plushness, trouble free, excellent compression damper adjustability via clicks.

Weaknesses:    Did not come with a remote Milo lockout, hopefully they will offer remote locokut compression damper lever, so not just an on-oss switch.

Bottom Line:
Very good fork for the money. After beeing on the market for a 29er fork for some time, and doing my homework on the review part on several forums, this seemed like a much better choice than a more expensive Reba, and is much lighter than any competition. It is light, stiff and gets the job done. Servicing boils to stanchion cleaning after each ride. Combo of spring and air works for me, plush but does not bottom out.

Purchased At:   bike-discount.de

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MZ Comp, Headhok, Reba

Bike Setup:   Haro Mary with XT components.

Submitted by TrailMaker a Weekend Warrior from Vestal, New York

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Price, plushness, light weight, stiff.

Weaknesses:    TOO plush, cheesy rebound adjuster... STILL. Lame graphics.

Bottom Line:
Likes;

The fork is nice looking in white and is very stiff (I have the 20mm T/A option).

Concerns;

Do they offer a quick release option or is there a conversion out there? I don't think so. This thing will be a pain to undo out in the woods if (when!) I flat.

Manitou still uses the mushy feeling rebound assembly on the bottom of the leg that feels like it will snap off at any moment. I know the plastic rod is meant to be a failure mode so you don't break the valve, but it feels like limp spaghetti. I know people that have broken theres because it was so wippy they had no idea it had reached the end of its range. There is really just no excuse for something this cheesy STILL being used. Everyone else manages to make them solid and also offer some detents or other means of knowing where the H#$% the adjustment actually is within the range. C'mon guys.

I am 6'5" 230lbs, and I am struggling to get the ride of this bike where I want it. I never thought I would have a bike that was TOO plush, but this is the case here. Setting to the recommended static sag on either end (20-25%) is useless for me, as it is simply a wallowing pig at those rates. The RP23 shock and this Tower Pro have been very difficult to get set properly, and I'm still searching. The first thing I did with the fork was swap in the extra firm spring. This seemed little different than the medium spring it came with, or the firm I mistakenly tried first. I immediately went right up to the stated maximum of 110psi air pressure, and while I have never felt the fork bottom, I can blow through the travel VERY easily at this point.

When I'm on rolling non technical terrain, it is nice to have the silky smoothness, but more often than not I am on my favorite tight, rocky, rooty, creeked, log-overed technical stuff, and this fork just is far too flacid. On nasty rough downhill sections, I've actually had to lock the fork out just so I could keep the nose up, maintain geometry, and have some braking power (8" Hayes Stroker) that wouldn't endo me.

The compression damping adjustment to lockout is nice to have, but it does not seem very linear. It does very little until near the last few clicks when it ramps up fairly quickly to locked. At the max pressure of 110psi and with the x-stiff spring, I was still riding at 2 clicks from locked just to keep the front end up. I like plush, but this is more like MUSH. I would likely be able to tune it quite well if it used oil for damping, but alas it does not, being of the semi-bath variety where the oil just simply lubricates everything.

What I really need is more progressive damping that ramps up and firms as it compresses so that it will smooth the small noise out when cruising along, but ramp up and firm on large compressions as the travel nears its end. So far I have not been able to achieve this. I was able to tune my old Minute 1 perfectly, and after a lot of twiddling (Fox does not offer a spring past 200lbs!), I got my Vanilla worked out pretty well. This one is not going so well to date. I am even up to 130psi - 20 over the rated max!!! - but this is killing a lot of the plushness.

Hey... I'm not hard to please. All I want is perfection. This is a very attractively priced product (I just could not pull that $700+ Fox trigger), and with the exception of the springing/damping not being nearly progressive enough for my needs, it seems like a very nice piece. The value is quite high, in my estimation, but I'm going to have to lower my overall rating based on said difficulties. If you're a big'n like me, and ride rough terrain, I'm not sure this will be the fork for you. If I do manage to get it worked out, I will amend my comments here.

Purchased At:   Speed Goat