Manitou Tower Expert 29er Forks

• Rebound Damping: Adjustable TPC

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by witchdr77 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    STIFF, NO FLEX!!! For a 9mmQR I have no regrets as of yet by not getting the 20mm QR(it was outa stock).I expected flexy-fork as I expirenceed with the 2012 Recon silver, but not here... not my Manitou.

Weaknesses:    the ONLY issue I have is the cheap plastic recoil and lockout knobs. Not a real issue , becouse once their dialed in, their rarely touched... but still... I've seen cheap Suntour forks not even sporting plastic.

Bottom Line:
    I have logged 122 hours now, the manual says 80 hours to break it in.I have ridden everything from back country dirt roads to advanved level single track to get my 80 hours logged... even commuting to work (33 miles round trip). my last two forks were a Pike and a Fox Float 32( both with thru axles).I decided to try out the 29er and it come with a sad Sr Suntour XCR, so I switched it out to a Rock Shox Recon silver .The recon had such flex after 40 min ridding that I wanted the Manitou, but no one had the thru axle in stock. I read the review at twentynine and talked to some ridders who said the Tower was actually very stiff. Since getting this, i have absolutely no complaints. looks cool, performs better than expected and i got it a steal!

Favorite Trail:   Highland, Guber's Grinder, High Country Pathway

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Recon Silver

Bike Setup:   Diamndback Overdrive Sport, Tower pro, X-9, XO, Raceface Evolve, Avid juicy 3x9 set up Crank Bros.

Submitted by dru a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2011

Strengths:    Plush fork that is surprisingly flex free despite being 9mm qr. I only have about 10 hours on the fork and it still has some stiction yet the ride quality is superb. Manitou says 20 hours for break-in. The steerer is aluminum, not steel. Wide range of damping adjustment on rebound and compression. Fork needs almost no air to make a big difference in feel. I've been running mine with no air at all, but at most I'd use 10 psi. Fork is very easy to service-I checked the oil levels and found them a tad low from the factory-I'm using 5w-40 synthetic motor oil for the semi-bath.

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjuster is cheap plastic and feels like it. + or - isn't marked on it either. Not sure how I feel about semi-bath durability wise. I expect the maintenance to be higher than open bath.

Bottom Line:
    Insanely good value.

Favorite Trail:   Hydrocut/puslinch

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   3 different Marzocchis over the years, and a Judy.

Bike Setup:   Fork is on an IGH Salsa El Mariachi, with travel set at 100 mm.