Manitou Minute 29er 29er Forks

4.35/5 (20 Reviews)

Manitou Minute 29er 100mm QR Mars Air: Absolute platform oil damping system: 5-click / 120-degree knob for wide-open, light-platform, firm-platform, and closed-platform settings. 1-1/8" threadless alloy steerer, hollow crown, and 32mm...

Submitted by David Medlock

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Race XC if you have a chance to buy this fork they are gold - light and super stiff I weigh 70kg. My 29er weighs 9.2kg with this fork. I am 33 fastest descending on technical singletrack out of 2500 riders and normally in the top 10 going up. 42 years old and ride hard....

Weaknesses:    1 1/8 but perfect if you buy an adapter (make sure you can get one first)

Bottom Line:
Buy one - I just bought anther spare they are seriously great shocks. BIG TIP spend $120 getting it fully serviced buy someone who knows Manitou..... right down pressure setting when you get it right :)

Submitted by Eyal C

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable and constantly working - and looks amazing - chrome crown is nice
Lockout and compression work just great.
Feels stiff and compliant - stiffer than other 29er forks out therte

Weaknesses:    well After 5000 km it did feel harsh - maybe its time for service :-)

Bottom Line:
I'd buy one again!

Submitted by RandyBoy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Super reliable, once I added oil to the right fork to bring it up to the proper level, changed out the shim with Hayes kit to the convex style shim, and installed an Absolute Plus needle valve kit. This was for a 120mm with 20mm through axle.

Weaknesses:    Took a long time to break in. Was a PIA to change a flat at night in a jam with the axle release system in very cold weather on the Colorado Trail.

Bottom Line:
The most reliable fork I have ever owned. Not the best, but in terms of service and reliability, it has been stellar, for the price. More stiction and nowhere near as plush as a Marz 44 TST2, more an XC type of fork in its dampening qualities.

Purchased At:   Jensons

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Drake, Manitou Minute 100mm QR Marz 44 Ti, Marz 44 TST2.

Bike Setup:   RiP X9, Hadleys, Flows, Racing Ralphs, Thomson.

Submitted by Don Duende a Cross Country Rider from Eastern Sierra, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    I upgraded to the Absolute Plus damper immediately ($55 USD). This is a sweet fork. Highly adjustable.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I never tried the original damper rod but I highly recommend the Absolute Plus upgrade for about $55 USD from the factory.

Favorite Trail:   Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Maverick DUC32

Bike Setup:   Access XCL 29er hardtail frame, XT cranks, calipers and derailleurs. Stan's Crest rims, Raven 2.2 tires and American Classic hubs.

Submitted by dirttrax a Weekend Warrior from Riverside, Ca

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    I have the 100mm version with 20mm axle. The axle and relatively short travel make this fork flex free. I like the milo handlebar level because it is small and doesn't clutter the handlebars. The fork, even with 20mm axle is pretty light at under 4lbs.

Weaknesses:    The 20mm axle doesn't use any form of quick release, so if you flat expect to take around 5 minutes to change. It uses pinch bolts and hex end cap to secure the axle. The fork is seriously underdamped. No amount of air changes the rate or pregression of this fork. There is no platform to speak of with the milo installed. It's either on or off.

Bottom Line:
This fork would be great for anyone under 160lbs due to the lack of compression damping and ineffective air pressure adjustment. Other than light weight and stiffness, there are a lot better forks out there with better damping.

Favorite Trail:   M trail

Similar Products Used:   Fox RP24 130mm fork, Fox F120, Rock Shox Sid work cup. All 26ers, this is my first stab at a 29er

Bike Setup:   Access frame, Sun Ringle Charger wheelset, XTR cassette, Raceface Zues crank, X-9 gearset, crank bros. Joplin drop seat.

Submitted by johnsogr a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Blows through travel, need to buy new damper to switch between Absolute+ and MILO

Bottom Line:
Not happy at all thus far. Although I only purchased the 80mm version, the fork has no platform at all. With that said, I currently have the MILO damper installed, which according to Manitou reps is set to the equivalent of 2 or 3 clicks on the Absolute+. I've tried pumping the fork up to pressures in the 140's/150's, with no change in the rate of which I move through the travel. My plan for now is to install the Absolute+ damper and crank up the dial to 4 or 5 clicks, and to maybe change to a heavier weight oil. I'll let you know how it works out.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   treefortbikes.com

Bike Setup:   Air 9, XT, Fulcrum Red Metal 29sl, Thomson/Ritchey

Submitted by MHanslip a Racer from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2010

Strengths:    Absolute damping

Weaknesses:    Rebound damping

Bottom Line:
The absolute damper works very well. On the softest setting there is no platform at all. On the firmest setting it is nearly a rigid fork (but still releases for big hits). Coupled with air pressure you can tune the fork to be whatever you want:
low air pressure and high platform = no response to small bumps but full travel on bigger hits
high air pressure and no platform = some small bump compliance and medium travel on bigger hits
of course you can mix and match anywhere in the middle - I run slightly soft air pressure with level 3 (3 clicks from off) platform = no movement from pedalling at all but plush travel at anything medium sized or up.
As good as the absolute damping adjuster is, the rebound damping adjuster is that bad. I disassembled the fork to make sure it was connected. Full-on or full-off seems to make almost no difference. Glad I like the rebound where it is!!
It did take hours to fully break in and achieve full travel at a predictable pressure.
Compared to the F29 fork on my GF Rig, the Minute has more travel (100 v. 80 mm) but feels like 2x as much, is roughly as stiff (both standard QR) and requires maintenance less often.

I like the Minute 29er and would buy one for a bike in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline

Purchased At:   came on my Titus 29e

Similar Products Used:   Fox F29

Bike Setup:   Titus Fireline Exogrid custom hardtail 29er with XT

Submitted by illcomm33 a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light, stiff, smooth, inexpensive, great value, easily user serviceable, awesome customer service, nice RaStA decals.

Weaknesses:    Having to order upgrades/maintenance items/parts through a bike shop.

With the TPC damper it didn't seem to handle the smaller bumps as good as my rock shox reba 29. It seemed to blow through the first part of travel (smoothly for sure) The new Asolute + Damper should help by being able to find tune it slightly more.

Make the crown black..the silver is a detractor. Black is easier to match.

Bottom Line:
The Minute 29er came with a TPC Damper set-up with my Spot Longboard purchase. I was running a Reba 29er on my other GF SS and assumed I would just switch the forks over after getting the Spot. (Had horrible experiences with past Minute 26er SPV forks...terrible to say the least..)

After researching on MTBR and other sites I was overall impressed with the positive reviews the Minute 29 fork received and figured I would give it a shot before swapping to my Reba. (lots of forums about Manitou finally coming to market with a solid/comparable fork to Fox/RS)

** Switching to my Reba? Ain't gonna happen! **

The Minute 29er TPC fork was especially smooth and tracked well on rocky descents and everything else I threw at it. After my first ride I was thinking..."this is definitely not the same Manitou fork as the ones from the past." (I am pretty sure that Hayes group is behind this new design, as Answer was behind the old Minutes..not 100% sure) Either way my only complaint was that I couldn't lock it out. That was it.

** Absolute+ Damper Upgrade **

For a mere $50 and less than an hour changing dampers this might be the best upgrade for the Minute. Period. The fork with the Absolute + now has 6-7 "clicks" and each click actually FEELS different. "Wide Open" all the way to "Closed/locked out." Every click makes a noticeable difference. I didn't believe it at first. I didn't have any experience with the Absolute damper some people said made clicking noises and didn't have any differences between open and closed.

This new damper (for 2010) is awesome. With the trails being snowed in I can't get out and fully test it but will follow up with any news.

Won't be going back to the Reba at this point (The Reba 29 is still a sick fork(always has and always will be)..but this Minute 29 Absolute+ is showing potential...lots of it.

Purchased At:   Full Cycles (Boulder

Similar Products Used:   Reba 29er SL

Bike Setup:   Spotlongboard SS

Submitted by Krankensteine a Cross Country Rider from Missouri

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    Very plush, absolute valving, stiff, Price

Weaknesses:    May need some upgrades to get performance you want. IE: oil weight change and absolute valve fix from Manitou

Bottom Line:
I have had 3 of these forks both QR and 20mm axles. Besides having to install the "click fix" I have been very satisfied. I want a fork with some sort of motion control with out having to reach down to lock it out or have an extra lever on the bars. Have tried several different fork oils to get the performance I wanted, which I have had to do with other forks also. White Brothers IMV works better than the Absolute valve but its not as stiff as the Manitou. I don't know why people bag on this fork so much in the forums I feel it has the best overall features and performance for the price. Manitou customer service has been very helpful and responsive to my questions. I don't see where you can go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo

Similar Products Used:   Fox F29, White Brothers Magic, Rockshox Reba

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan, Dekerf Steel SS

Submitted by brian a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2009

Strengths:    Good performance for the price. Stiff - I have 20mm thru axle. Plush after break in.

Weaknesses:    Not a weakness - but this is the first fork I have owned that actually had a noticeable break in period. I weigh 200lbs and have the absolute dampening at the lowest setting and fairly low air pressure. I am not sure at this point how necessary the platform is other than a lockout

Bottom Line:
Great fork. Steers better than any fork I have owned. I was tempted to go with a Fox, White Brothers or new Marz 140mm, but this forked worked with the 20mm thu axle wheels I wanted. No regrets!

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classis

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig

Similar Products Used:   2008 Minute 29 with 9mm QR, 29 Reba (demo only); lots of Rock Shock & Manitou 26 forks

Bike Setup:   Vewntana El Capitan

Submitted by Gasp4Air a Cross Country Rider from Manchester CT

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Strengths:    Price, xc performance

Weaknesses:    Not best for aggressive riding?

Bottom Line:
It was either this or a Fox fork for about 200 more. I read reviews saying it went through its travel quickly, and that seems true - though I haven't bottomed it out yet. I'm 190 lb no-air xc rider in rocky rooty CT. I like a fork that's smooth and plush, which this fork does very well. If you're like me, you may like this fork. If you're a jumper and big hitter, maybe not.

Favorite Trail:   The ones I ride well

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   None 29

Bike Setup:   08 Rip9, Manitou Minute 120

Submitted by Pynis McDermott a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Strengths:    Biggest Strength, Value. Next to that the Through Axle (TA) option is a must for anyone looking to increase stiffness, confidence, and control in a downhill run. The hose routing and brake mounting are easy to install and are aesthetically pleasing. Rebound adjustment on this price of a fork is a huge bonus.

Weaknesses:    This fork does take more psi to dial in correctly compared to other similar products. Upon landing this fork off of a drop, you will notice the dreaded "popping/clicking/buzzing" noise. DISCLAIMER: This has been identified and responded to by Manitou - it is not a product failure or anything that affects the performance, it simply requires a replacement shim that can be sent to you free of charge with instructions.
Otherwise, the dampening control can take a while to get used to, but that is because you have to get used to adding more air pressure.

Bottom Line:
After hours of component review, and questioning whether or not this fork is worth anything or "To Good to be True", I decided to give it a chance.

Upon initial outing, I was not sure about the fork quality. I had played with the dampening, and everything worked well, but it took me a while to realize I needed to add more air pressure to really get it dialed in. User error aside, this fork works exactly as it is supposed to.

Now, I ride with one or two clicks and 10-15psi more than the recommended amount. I did encounter the "clicking" noise, and did receive the fix from Manitou, but I have not installed it because I am having too much fun riding it. The lockout works excellent when you want to cruise a flat, the dampening control adds control in the downhill or tech sections, the travel is perfect for my "Aggressive XC" build, and the rake is perfect for climbing.

The best part about this fork is the T/A setup. The added rigidity and control really bump my confidence and have helped me become a faster XC rider by pushing the DH skills. This detail, when combined with more aggressive wheels (FLOWS) makes me feel like I have an awesome AM 29er, a highly sought after item these days.

Bottom Line - no way can the value be beat on a fork like this. It looks great, performs just as well as forks 3 times its price, and is built tough (5 chilis). The overall performance really can't be beat, sure there was one component that caused a noise, but no harm or flaw, and it was fixed. As far as performance, it is unbelievable quality at the price I paid, so I can't complain (5 chilis)

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Elden

Purchased At:   Big Kahuna

Similar Products Used:   Fox 32 100mm Fork (29er) on my HT, Rock Shox Reba 29er

Bike Setup:   2008 RIP9, Stans Flow Rims, Rampage 2.35's F&B, Avid Juicy 7 Brakes 185mm/160mm, X9 Shifters, X0 Rear Derailleur, 990 Cassette & Crosstep Chain, XT Front Derrailleur, Truvativ Noir 3-Ring Crankset, Shimano 550 Pedals, Race Face Deus XC Stem, FSA Headset, Bontrager Race X-Lite Flat Bars.

Submitted by ekuehnen a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    STIFF. SMOOTH. LIGHT. light weight of an air fork but it feels like a coil sprung fork. Very plush. I was very skeptical of Manitou forks, because I thought FOX was the BEST, hands down. I weigh @ 200 pounds. I tend to be fairly abusive to my gear and this thing takes it no problemo. I have the 100mm QR version. I was a HUGE fan of FOX forks before this, but boy am I glad I didnt shell out 6 or 7 hundo on an F29. This feels a lot like my old Fox Vanilla RLC, which I LOVED. Only thing I dont like is the noise the Platform damping makes when you increase the damping... maybe it will go away eventually? not a big deal. The platform damping is very functional. small clicks make a huge differnece and it is easy to access on the fly.

Weaknesses:    sticky oinking noise when you tighten up the platform damping. Oil level was a little off from the factory.

Bottom Line:
Well worth it for 350. Hell, if i had to spend 650 on either a Fox F29 or the Manitou Minute 29, I'd go with the Manitou. Very happy with it's stiffness, tracking, progressive coil-like feel, and toughness.
5 Flamin' turds for value- it cant be beat.
4 Flamin' turds for the noise when the platform is engaged.

Favorite Trail:   Allaire

Purchased At:   eBay - NEW

Similar Products Used:   Fox F29, Fox Float RLC, Fox Vanilla RLC, Fox Talas RLC... I have had them all.

Bike Setup:   2008 Titus Racer X w/ X9 kit and DT Swiss wheelset.

Submitted by dblboc a Cross Country Rider from Ft Worth

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff.. Supple ride. Quick and responsive. It's just a nice riding fork. Light compared to the 100 mm Fox. Price Price Price

Weaknesses:    I had some issues with loosing air.. Initially there was no oil. Fixed that and the issue went away for a few months... Then mysteriously started loosing air again.... Turns out the air valve was loose.. Go figure.. If you are having issues loosing air you might check thee items

Bottom Line:
Other than the issue of loosing air, this is a great fork. I guess I got the one that made it through QC.. I have ridden both the FOx and Manitou.. I feel the Manitou preforms equally if not better than the fox... PLus it's actually AFFORDABLE!

Favorite Trail:   TX