Fox Racing Shox 32 F29 FIT RLC 29er Forks

2.5/5 (14 Reviews)

Fox 32 F29 100 FIT RLC 9mmQR Disc: Bigger just got better. We've enhanced performance and durability in the 2011 32 F29 by improving air spring curves to give it more usable travel with lower compression ratios. The 32 F29 is completed...

Submitted by Kennyboy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2013

Strengths:    Light and initially good

Weaknesses:    sticky, poorly made/assembled with poor quality control. .

Bottom Line:
Initially very good, fluid fork with plenty of adjustment. But at the first service I noticed the stanchions were worn so badly the fork is now shot. foam Wipers were dry and abrasive but the fork had maybe 80 hrs on it max. You could say I should have serviced earlier but I wasn't expecting to total the fork completely with a late service. I will go Rockshox next time

Similar Products Used:   Rockshok Geko

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 29 2010

Submitted by Lets Try Science

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    I was accidentally sent a 2012 instead of 2011 so I got it for $500 on closeout. Anyone who pays MSRP is being taken to the cleaners.
15mm QR is stiff.

Weaknesses:    Flexy
Low speed compression makes no noticeable adjustment.
Not enough travel with proper sag.
Came with one leg dry, the other half the stock oil. Glad I checked before riding.
I prefer Rock Shox lockout with floodgate so you can climb but still have a little travel. Since the Fox lockout is so rigid I end up never using it.
Can't adjust travel as easily as Reba.
Stiction.
I don't care for FIT. I miss nice smooth open bath oil systems.

Bottom Line:
I shouldn't need to get a Fox factory tune or send it off to Push so that it works. It's almost a $1,000 fork. My Reba was cheaper, more adjustable, stiffer, etc. Fox has a great name and has long been a cool brand but after using a few of their forks it just seems like hype. I've rebuilt both and while the Fox internals look much nicer and obviously cost more money to manufacture they just don't work as well.

The upside is they hold their value so I can sell it without losing much money and get a better fork.

Submitted by omclive a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    When they work, they are smooth and flex free with 15 mm axle.

Weaknesses:    Extremely poorly made. These are no where near suitable for even light cross country use. The crown starts creaking after just 2 rides and I have gone through 2 cartridges.

Bottom Line:
These came originally on a 2010 specialized stumpjumper expert fsr. It's a bit of an oddball as they are 130 mm travel, tapered steerer and 15 mm axle. The crown has gone 4 times, and the damper twice. The fork has been upgraded to 2012 fit rlc spec by fox. I have ridden this bike minimally because it isn't very pleasant to ride a bike that sounds like it will fly apart, that and it has been in the shop with this fork.

The crown starts creaking in just a couple of rides. I have started to try to put up with it until it gets really scary sounding because it takes a long time to get these fixed in Canada. Crown assemblies seem to be an issue. So far the bike has been down 1 month, and probably won't be back for some time. I will have, again, missed the entire summer due to these cr@p forks. I thought it was a fluke that the cartridges failed, but from other reviews this is the norm.

I have had 5 fox forks since they first started to produce mtb forks, and they all had crowns that would creak. None no where as bad as these, but fox needs to get with the program. Previous to this pair I had a RS Reba for 4 years which only had the oil changed 3 times.

Submitted by sanandreas a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Good adjustability and not a bad shock when it's working...

Weaknesses:    ...but seems to be a lot of forward/back movement/vibration...maybe a function of being longer than 26er forks...but I think this movement probably contributed to the fact that my seals sprung bad leaks within 500km of moderate offroad use, which I would consider to be an unacceptably short replacement interval, having previously used Marzocchis which only leaked after years of abuse...

Bottom Line:
Very disappointing to have such leaky seals on an expensive shock...Even worse was the customer service, with emails not being replied to at all. Maybe Fox are taking their pole position for granted...

Submitted by LeftyMax a All Mountain Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2012

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    Flimsy, dampening, stiction, rebound, powder coat paint (or whatever it is)

Bottom Line:
For the money that want for it this for is junk, it is a maintenance nightmare, it flexes like a wet noodle. I have never had any luck with Fox equipment, as far as I am concerned Fox shocks and forks are WAY over rated, and they just plain old suck.

I would not recommend this fork to anyone

Favorite Trail:   Hesart Attack

Similar Products Used:   none, I always had a Lefty

Bike Setup:   RIP 9

Submitted by vans11 a Racer from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Strengths:    Has some sweet anodized twisty gizmos. 15ml thru axle. Stickers

Weaknesses:    Seals, actual travel, reliability

Bottom Line:
I have raced for many years now and have had both Fox forks and Rockshox on my bikes. This season, my Fox Fork began leaving a thick, pasty, difficult to remove, layer of gunk on both stantions after my rides. It also seemed to not go the full length of the travel. I finished the Downieville Classic this year and lost the sag by the end of the ride. I also noticed the black lockout compression dial had locked up and no longer turned. A week or so later, I raced the Tahoe Trail 100 and the front end felt like it was drifting all over the place. I somehow lost the dampening as well. My next race was at a Northstar Twilight race the following week and I came across the finish with bike blood flowing from both seals. Upon inquiry, Fox stated I needed to replace oil and seals after 50 hrs of riding. Never had issues before nor had I heard of such a maintenance schedule. I have roughly 30 hours on the bike and fork. Fork needed to be removed and sent back to Fox in the height of the race season. My recommendations would be to purchase another brand due to this required maintenance schedule after what seems to me as minimal wear and time on the product. I only ride bike at races and do most of my riding on the road.

Favorite Trail:   Lakes Basin Trails (Sierra Buttes)

Purchased At:   Came on team bike

Similar Products Used:   2009 Fox F32 RL 29

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Anthem X 29 1

Submitted by SLC_Specialized a Weekend Warrior from Park City

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Solid construction, really like the tapered crown and QR15

Weaknesses:    Sticky...sticky...sticky.... had it rebuild after 6 months.. got a little better... leaves dark residue on stanchions ... bike shop says it needs rebuilding after two months of use...

Bottom Line:
Sending it back to FOX for a second rebuild... hope they figure it out... otherwise may try to get it PUSHed.. the weak link in my bike right now.

Favorite Trail:   Mid-mountain, Flying Dog

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   F100X, had it PUSHed and did not touch it for 3 seasons, seems like it was manufactured by a different company.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy, XTR, Easton Havens

Submitted by panzer07 a Weekend Warrior from Jim

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    Finally got a black OEM color, great lockout, tapered steer tube, very little flex.

Weaknesses:    Still does not get full travel - paid for 120mm and I get about 105mm unless doing a 6' drop which this fork was not intended to do. Only comes in white unless you blow somebody at Fox

Bottom Line:
Got a deal on a black OEM 2010 Fox RL 120MM tapered steerer that was made for the Niner RIP9 and to my surprise came in the open bath model and not the new Fit style damper. Works good but Fox needs to do something to get full travel or adverise it as less travel model. And white color - please!!!

Favorite Trail:   Saw Pit Soquel

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyc

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Reba, Fox F29 100MM

Bike Setup:   2010 Niner RIP9 set up as a trailbike

Submitted by bog a Cross Country Rider from Surrey, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, reasonably stiff chassis, QR15 is great

Weaknesses:    Fork won't get anywhere near full travel with recommended amount of sag
Tons of stiction in Fit cartridge, air seal and/or oil seals.

Bottom Line:
In general this is a terrible fork. It is well known that Fox has a major issue with the forks not getting full travel and being very sticky. I was increibly disappointed wuth this fork and could not get it dialled in even with the help of the Fox World Cup mechanic at the Sea Otter booth. I even left the fork with him for a half day and he basically told me that I was out of luck because I had a bad fork. Nice customer service!!!
I replaced both of my Fox F29s with Reba XX 29s and couldn't be happier. The Reba's are stiffer, get all of their travel, and are super smooth.

Favorite Trail:   Seventh Secret to Ladies Only

Purchased At:   Came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   Fox F29 open bath
Reba Team 29er (Maxle, 2010)
Reba XX 29er (Maxle, 20100

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude, XT, Race Face, RP23 rear shock

Submitted by test a Weekend Warrior from test

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2010

Strengths:    test

Weaknesses:    test

Bottom Line:
test

Favorite Trail:   test

Similar Products Used:   test

Bike Setup:   test

Submitted by mtbmitch2 a Cross Country Rider from idaho

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Strengths:    holds wheel on, good resale

Weaknesses:    fork does not get full travel with correct air pressure for my weight according to fox and others. needs more slow speed
dampening and less high speed dampening
way over priced for a fork that is very sub par

Bottom Line:
you might look at the other brands
try other forks before you buy a fox product

Favorite Trail:   bobs

Purchased At:   included with bike b

Submitted by edgerat a Cross Country Rider from Olympia, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffness, damping

Weaknesses:    Weight, if anything

Bottom Line:
I have the QR15 version of this fork and it is stiff as a board laterally. The reason I like this fork is the way it handles the big hits and the bumps. It doesn't wallow in the travel like the Rock Shox and it just inspires a bunch of confidence in the front of your ride.

Favorite Trail:   GL6

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Reba

Bike Setup:   Niner Air9

Submitted by shorner a Weekend Warrior from Roanoke, VA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, easy setup, looks great, infinitely adjustable

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Absolutely fantastic fork. Very stiff, even set up as a standard QR. The lockout and low speed compression feature allow you to set it and forget it (at least for me), just like your Showtime Rotisserie. Being clyde-esque (6'5" 230lbs), I expected a bit more flex/bottoming out, but this has not been the case. Great fork, well worth the $$. 5 chitterlings across the board.

Favorite Trail:   The Cove, at night!

Purchased At:   MTBR

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Psylo XC, SID

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD, Hope PII-Stans FLOW, Truvativ 3.3 Crankset, Cane Creek DP levers with BB7s, Geax SAguaro F/R, SRAM X9 all around, FOX F29 FIT RLC, CB Opium SL headset

Submitted by schingleschpeed a Cross Country Rider from Roseville, CA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth Ride, tuneable, 15QR = stiff

Weaknesses:    Expensive, only one color choice, White.

Bottom Line:
I just upgraded to this fork because I wanted a little more travel and I wanted the 15QR. I have to say that this fork is the best fork I've ever ridden. The FIT damper is not hype, it really does smooth out the ride with a minimal amount of fork dive. The 15QR provides a noticeable improvement in stiffness, steering response and over all confidence when pounding through the rough stuff. The fork was easy to set up and rides fantastically using factory default settings. As far as I'm concerned, Fox is the best money can buy. I've been riding faster than I ever have before. The only thing that has changed is the fork. It begs to be ridden fast.

I have two critiques. First, Fox again limits the average buyer to one choice of color in 2010, White. This fork is being offered in black on OEM bikes from Niner to Specialized, but if you want to purchase this fork direct, White is it. It happens to look good on my Raw Air9. It is my opinion that since this is the only fork offered by Fox for a 29er, there should be a couple of color choices. Secondly, this fork is pricey. I think the top dollar with the remote lockout is a little ridiculous. I give it 4 chilis for value because of how hard Fox hits the buyer if they want the 15QR (a great feature) or the remote. But really, even at the price, I believe the fork iteself (without the remote) is worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Pioneer

Similar Products Used:   2008 Fox F29 RL F80, Cannondale Lefty, Marzochi Marathon SL.

Bike Setup:   Niner Air9, King, XTR

FOX Float 32 F29 RLC G2 geometry FIT Tapered

Would a FOX Float 32 F29 RLC G2 geometry FIT Tapered fir ok on a Yelli Screamy? The whole G2 geometry is confusing me lolRead More »

Fox 32 F29 Fit RLC F100 tuning help.

Hi, Have been trying to get my Fox F29 Fit RLC 100mm travel dialed in but am having a tough time. I'm on a Santa Cruz Tallboy full sus with Fox RP23 rear shock. I am a 150 lbs (no gear) moderately aggressive rider and I mostly ride buff Utah singletrack punctuated by teeth chattering rocky stuff. ... Read More »

Fox 32 F29 FIT RLC fork?

I don't know much about Fox forks. How does this compare to RockShox forks? Primarily thinking about the Reba. Thanks.Read More »

2011 Fox 32 F29 Fit RLC

Can you convert the 80mm version to 100mm?Read More »

Reba XX 29'er vs. 2010 Fox 32 F29 Fit RLC?

Anyone using either of these 2 forks and have feedback/impressions? I am guessing the Reba XX will be pretty much exactly like the Specialized SBC Reba S29 carbon that is on my S-works Stumpjumper HT 29er?Read More »