RockShox Reba RL Solo Air 2014 Forks

NULL

Submitted by xmessenger

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2015

Strengths:    Reliable, weight, and stiffness on the 29er hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Not much really. I suppose having shimmed as opposed to port orifice damping but we are getting picky besides you can upgrade. Actually, UPGRADING! RS have many aftermarket parts that are upgradable for this but just rty figuring out exactly which parts is very confusing. Between SID A and SID B or A1-3 or having to buy a specific compression damper you MUST upgrade if you want to upgrade to the shimmed rapid recovery rebound whether or not it has the "Dig" valve that first came to market 2014? Lets just say I think RS could make a ton on aftermarket sales if they spent some effort in trying to make it easier. Don't bother contacting them, they will be more lost than you.

Bottom Line:
I ride pretty much this forks intended usage. Never felt it wasnt stiff, the travel was always nice both ways and the simple compression adjust is quite usable. I usually had it with a click or 2 of compression because ,and I know this is opposite what many do, on rougher stuff or at speed I want something to prevent it from wanting to blow through its travel and it works but it just dawned on me now, how embarrassing, that is for slow speed adjust and what I mentioned is definately high speed so I suppose I prefer it for uphill climbs? twat.
I am light at about 155 to 165 and have mine set at 86 PSI. Its actually easy to set up.
I read about guys that say they get their forks plush and never bottom or have trouble getting full travel and think this has more to do with terrain. These forks are designed with the gammut as they have no clue where its going but I could bottom mine in a minute where I live as there are so many sharp transitions or drops. What I have done is gotten mine to the points where I ride one of the rougher trails and if I can feel it bottom put air in until I cannot feel it. It is bottoming but it simply seemlessly runs out of travel which is perfect.
Rebound has a ton of adjustement but I dare not go beyond 4 of the at least 12 clicks because I am light and fear it packing down.
The overall smoothness, quality and lack of noise has impressed me.
I plan on upgrading to shimmed dampers just to squeeze out the most of the 100mm and they supposedly help by recovering faster. I hope I notice because right now this fork works very well and I love the lower maintenance. Who wants to send their fork in every month?