RockShox Pike RCT3 Solo Air 2014 Forks

Rock Shox Pike RCT3 Solo Air Forks - 15mm 2014 DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK A comeback has never been so amazing. After taking a few years off, PIKE comes back in the RockShox lineup, as the ultimate trail fork. Your trail could be a silky smooth ribbon of singletrack, or a rock-infested goat trail in the Alps. Either way, there is a PIKE for you. Specifications: Weight: 26 8221; 8211; 1835g (4.05 lb), 27.5 8221; 8211; 1861g (4.10 lb), 29 8221; 8211;1876g (4.14 lb) Spring: Solo Air Damping: TurnKey lockout Adjustments: External rebound, low speed compression, 3-position compression (Open/Pedal/Lock) Steerer: Tapered Aluminium Crown: Forged, hollow 7075 Aluminium Lowers: Magnesium, disc only Axle: Maxle Lite 15mm Maximum Rotor Size: 200 mm Technologies: Air Guides: We print Air Guides on all of our air-sprung forks. Maybe not a technological feat, but it will help you set up your suspension in seconds instead of minutes. And more time on yo

Submitted by lew242 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2014

Strengths:    Everything it does and it does it well. The perfect fork.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This fork has never let me down, lost air or annoyed me in any other way, I'd happily buy again one but $1000 hurts my wallet. Can't quite see where the money goes in terms of manufacture costs, however If it lasts a few years I'll be happy, it's already made it a year, I ride a lot abuse my bike.

Love the fairly light weight with 35mm stanchions. If you are ever tempted to buy a 150mm fork with 32mm stanchions, please don't, they are a total waste of money.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Taobao China

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Tora 318, Dart 1&2, Manitou Slate&Circus Expert, Marzocchi 55R&DJ1, X-Fusion Velvet 150 (garbage)

Bike Setup:   AM/Enduro 150mm

Submitted by louevil a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2014

Strengths:    buttery smooth
quick recovery after big hits; this is critical for a long travel fork!
adjustment of dampening (low and high speed) works very well; except for climbing roads/gravel this is a "set and forget" fork
looks great,

Weaknesses:    trail mode (gets a 1 chili ding on the value because I feel the RC is just as good but that's only available to OEM)
doesn't actually make me faster

Bottom Line:
Like everyone else says this fork is pretty great. I own the 160mm version of this fork matched with a 150mm SC Bronson

First the "bad":
After 20 or so rides I've found the trail mode to be worthless. I use the lockout but if we are paying more to have 3 modes we've gotten ripped off! Basically it feels too stiff and beats you up if your "pedaling" involves any roots or rocks. I'm OK with this because it works so well in open that you really don't need a trail mode. I only mention this because it could frustrate people like me who were trying to tune the fork with this mode.
*The low speed compression only works for open so just focus on this mode while adjusting the fork.

After a few rides of tuning I do everything in open and experience very little bob (even when standing). It really feels like an XC fork when climbing/pedaling but point it at a rock garden or a drop and it comes alive.

RockShox nailed it with the new Pike (and the SID for that matter).

Duration Product Used:   ~20 rides

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   SID RCT3, Cannondale Lefty, Fox Float 32 and 34,

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon CTDK, X01, Bontrager Rhythm Elite TLR wheels, 2.35 tires

Submitted by Farmer Ted a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2014

Strengths:    smoothness, weight, stiffness, dampers, everything

Weaknesses:    price, but you get what you pay for. After a year of riding it, I really can't think of any weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this fork for a year now and I'm still as in love with it as I was when it was new. It is everything everyone has said it is and the best fork I've ridden in 25 years of mountain biking. I have this on a '13 Giant Reign and it transformed the bike. I previously had a 32 Talas 150 on the bike and had issues with stiction and flex. The Pike solved all of that as it was buttery smooth right out of the box. The spring rate is very linear with just enough progression at the end so that you don't feel it bottom out. It does use full travel, which is great. It has great small bump sensitivity (as good as 100mm XC forks that I own) but also handles chunky sections, jumps, drops, and g-outs with ease. The dampers are just awesome...quiet, controlled, and consistent. The fork feels a little over-damped when you're just sitting there pushing on it in the parking lot but it feels perfect when on the trail. After a year and close to 1000 miles of really hard Northern Colorado riding, it still feels like new. I haven't had any issues with anything; dual position air, dampers, Maxle, or lockout. And stiff?! this fork tracks amazingly well...it inspires confidence and makes you want to take big chances on lines. The only complaint I have is that the RCT3 3 position compression damper lever is a little stiff to use and I also find that the middle 'pedal' setting is a little too stiff for the way I ride (the fork loses most of it's small bump compliance) but for the trails in my area, I'm either going straight up or straight down so I tend to just leave it open or lock it out all the way when climbing something like a fire road. By the way, the dual position air system is a must if you have the 160mm version like I do, it makes technical climbs disappear. I hope this technology trickles down into more of the Rockshox line as it is fabulous.

Favorite Trail:   steep and technical

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talas, and Float. Rockshox Reba and Recon

Bike Setup:   '13 Giant Reign 0 26" Fork is 160mm dual position air

Submitted by AllMountaineer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2013

Strengths:    Versatility, Rigidity, Smoothness, Riding Confidence, Travel Usage/Perception of "Additional Travel", Looks, Weight, Innovation, Axle design, and Color of Steer Tube.

Weaknesses:    Nothing notable, may take a few minutes to get used to a fork that actually uses its full travel (if that is a weakness?)

Bottom Line:
After underwhelming experiences with 100-150mm Fox 32 forks and the 150mm Rockshox Revelation, I decided to give the Pike 150mm a try. I couldn't be more glad I did so. I feel like it breathed new life into my Bronson which previously had the 150mm Revelation (wasn't bad for the money) mounted on it. I very quickly felt more confident on descents and tried drops and lines I hadn't previously wanted to try. It almost magically reacts just as you would hope with great feedback for smaller bump and delightfully smooth/comfortable response to the big bumps. The fork encourages the bike to track and hold a line better on rough and descents while providing as much stiffness as needed on the climbs. It really leaves the mind to wonder how RockShox was able to make a 35mm stanchion fork weigh so little while offering such great perfromance... I do not feel it is overstated to say this is a remarkable innovation in the suspension landscape.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   2012 Rockshox Lyric, 2011 Fox Float Fit 140mm, 2012 Fox Float 32 130mm, 2013 Fox 32 120mm, 2014 Fox Float 32 120mm, 2014 Fox Float 32 140mm, 2012 Cannondale Lefty XLR Alunimum extended to 130mm, 2013 Rockshox Revelation Dual Position Air 150/130mm.

Bike Setup:   2013 Bronson Carbon with 150mm Pike, and 2014 Solo/5010 Carbon with custom 140mm Pike.

Submitted by Perry a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Strengths:    Light, stiff, smooth as butter from the first ride, looks sick in all black

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet, but I would love to see this fork available in shorter travel or adjustable travel.

Bottom Line:
I'm not one to write reviews but I have to share my experience with this fork. I've been riding mountain bikes for 17 years and this is hands down the best fork I've ever ridden. It came with my 2014 Stuntjumper Evo and right out of the box it was super smooth, absolutely zero stiction. It combines everything you want in a trail/all mountain fork. It has excellent small bump sensitivity without being mushy or blowing through its travel on bigger hits and drops. It's stiff, supple and doesn't deflect off of trail obstacles. It holds a b-line through rock gardens and root mazes, and all at a hair over 4 pounds! Previously I would have to tune my forks to where I was giving up small bump sensitivity for big hit capability, or vice versa, and I was never getting full travel out of my Fox stuff. I actually didn't realize how much I was being held back by my other forks. With the Pike I get the best of everything. The fork is very easy to set up. I also love the way it looks in all black. I was actually laughing out loud the first few times a rode this fork beacuse I couldn't believe the way I was plowing over everything like it wasn't even there. The Pike just floats across the trail. I just wish they made this fork in a shorter travel or adjustable travel becuase I would put one on my short travel bike in a heartbeat. I went to a bike demo a few days ago and rode several bikes equipped with various forks, but all I could think about was how much better they would be with a Pike in the front. I've only ridden this fork for a few months so no word on the longevity/durability but so far so good and lets hope it stays that way.