RockShox Pike RCT3 Solo Air 2014 Forks

Rock Shox Pike RCT3 Solo Air Forks - 15mm 2014 DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK A comeback has never been so amazing. After taking a few years off, PIKE comes back in the RockShox lineup, as the ultimate trail fork. Your trail could be a silky smooth ribbon of singletrack, or a rock-infested goat trail in the Alps. Either way, there is a PIKE for you. Specifications: Weight: 26 8221; 8211; 1835g (4.05 lb), 27.5 8221; 8211; 1861g (4.10 lb), 29 8221; 8211;1876g (4.14 lb) Spring: Solo Air Damping: TurnKey lockout Adjustments: External rebound, low speed compression, 3-position compression (Open/Pedal/Lock) Steerer: Tapered Aluminium Crown: Forged, hollow 7075 Aluminium Lowers: Magnesium, disc only Axle: Maxle Lite 15mm Maximum Rotor Size: 200 mm Technologies: Air Guides: We print Air Guides on all of our air-sprung forks. Maybe not a technological feat, but it will help you set up your suspension in seconds instead of minutes. And more time on yo

Submitted by AllMountaineer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2013

Strengths:    Versatility, Rigidity, Smoothness, Riding Confidence, Travel Usage/Perception of "Additional Travel", Looks, Weight, Innovation, Axle design, and Color of Steer Tube.

Weaknesses:    Nothing notable, may take a few minutes to get used to a fork that actually uses its full travel (if that is a weakness?)

Bottom Line:
After underwhelming experiences with 100-150mm Fox 32 forks and the 150mm Rockshox Revelation, I decided to give the Pike 150mm a try. I couldn't be more glad I did so. I feel like it breathed new life into my Bronson which previously had the 150mm Revelation (wasn't bad for the money) mounted on it. I very quickly felt more confident on descents and tried drops and lines I hadn't previously wanted to try. It almost magically reacts just as you would hope with great feedback for smaller bump and delightfully smooth/comfortable response to the big bumps. The fork encourages the bike to track and hold a line better on rough and descents while providing as much stiffness as needed on the climbs. It really leaves the mind to wonder how RockShox was able to make a 35mm stanchion fork weigh so little while offering such great perfromance... I do not feel it is overstated to say this is a remarkable innovation in the suspension landscape.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   2012 Rockshox Lyric, 2011 Fox Float Fit 140mm, 2012 Fox Float 32 130mm, 2013 Fox 32 120mm, 2014 Fox Float 32 120mm, 2014 Fox Float 32 140mm, 2012 Cannondale Lefty XLR Alunimum extended to 130mm, 2013 Rockshox Revelation Dual Position Air 150/130mm.

Bike Setup:   2013 Bronson Carbon with 150mm Pike, and 2014 Solo/5010 Carbon with custom 140mm Pike.

Submitted by Perry a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Strengths:    Light, stiff, smooth as butter from the first ride, looks sick in all black

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet, but I would love to see this fork available in shorter travel or adjustable travel.

Bottom Line:
I'm not one to write reviews but I have to share my experience with this fork. I've been riding mountain bikes for 17 years and this is hands down the best fork I've ever ridden. It came with my 2014 Stuntjumper Evo and right out of the box it was super smooth, absolutely zero stiction. It combines everything you want in a trail/all mountain fork. It has excellent small bump sensitivity without being mushy or blowing through its travel on bigger hits and drops. It's stiff, supple and doesn't deflect off of trail obstacles. It holds a b-line through rock gardens and root mazes, and all at a hair over 4 pounds! Previously I would have to tune my forks to where I was giving up small bump sensitivity for big hit capability, or vice versa, and I was never getting full travel out of my Fox stuff. I actually didn't realize how much I was being held back by my other forks. With the Pike I get the best of everything. The fork is very easy to set up. I also love the way it looks in all black. I was actually laughing out loud the first few times a rode this fork beacuse I couldn't believe the way I was plowing over everything like it wasn't even there. The Pike just floats across the trail. I just wish they made this fork in a shorter travel or adjustable travel becuase I would put one on my short travel bike in a heartbeat. I went to a bike demo a few days ago and rode several bikes equipped with various forks, but all I could think about was how much better they would be with a Pike in the front. I've only ridden this fork for a few months so no word on the longevity/durability but so far so good and lets hope it stays that way.