X-Fusion Velvet RL2 DLA 2013 Forks

• Casting: Magnesium
  • Axle: X-15 tool-less axle, 9mm

Submitted by lew242 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2013

Strengths:    Affordable, light, well performing, good warranty, like a cheap Fox

Weaknesses:    Break easily, slow to fix under warranty, noodley 32mm stanchions, DLA can break, as can the cap bolts

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a tapered head tube fork and a reasonable weight. This fitted the bill, as it was one of the first to market. However I ride everyday and ride my trail bike at least three times a week, this fork just can't take the abuse, I weigh 85kg or about 180lbs. They aren't the only people making 32mm stanchion forks, but I've come to the conclusion that 32mm is only for XC, and a 32mm fork with 140mm travel can get killed pretty quickly and for anything other than girlie XC type trail riding you need at least 34mm stanchion for real trail riding or AM/enduro. First the DLA system failed and the fork got stuck down after only a couple of days riding now the tiny bolt that holds the compression adjust just broke after six months and covered me with with fork oil.

Now it's back on warranty, been three weeks, I'm still waiting. I'm sure these bozos take as long as possible to repair your fork so that you just quit and buy new one. Honestly they made a fork that broke because they didn't R&D their fork properly as they wanted to rush it to market to make mo' money. I'm still without a fork and a $3000 bike I can't ride for weeks. No courtesy fork or nothing, no apology.

I'll abuse it for the rest of the winter and sell or bin it in the Spring and buy a Pike, Marzocchi or Manitou because those forks will actually most probably last.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Circus Expert & Slate. Rockshox Dart 2 & Tora, Marzocchi DJ3 and 55R

Questions before buying 2012 RL2 Velvet non DLA

A bit confusing + paralysis by analysis, so I better ask before buying. The RL2 Velvet (non DLA) in 15mm t/a and taper steer tube can be adjusted internally by moving the pin and run at 120mm with a 650b even though X-Fusion may say "no" and even though it's not their 650b fork with pre-installed ... Read More »

2012 Velvet RL2 DLA: Pics & reviews please

The flames have been fanned, the Bs are on fire! There has to be at least 1/2 dozen on this here forum that are using the new X-Fusion Velvet. So, what's your take on this fork? I've read what the promoters have to say, and can speculate with the best of them. But who has it & has ridden it ha ... Read More »