RockShox Recon Gold RL 2013 Forks

• Steerer Options: 1-1/8" aluminum (-145g)
  • Crown: Forged 6061 T-6 aluminum
  • Upper Tubes: 32mm, 6000 series straight wall aluminum
  • Maximum Rotor Size: 210mm

Submitted by justwan naride a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2014

Strengths:    Performance, reliability, value, ease of service, reasonable weight, finish. Comes with full seals and o-rings service kit. A plug & play, set & forget kind of product.

Weaknesses:    Slightly flexy. I'd like a 15mm thru axle version. Less adjustability than fancier forks.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2012 Recon Gold RL Coil, which apart from stickers seems to be identical with the 2013 model. Travel is 100mm and I have it on the front of my 26" hardtail.

I've used it for about 15 months now, it performed flawlessly out of the box and hasn't changed since. Soon gonna have it serviced just in case, as the fork's performance hasn't declined at all. All I do is clean the stanchions after every ride.

I'm around 70kg and the stock spring suits me well. I set the preload at zero with the rebound towards the slow side, depending on terrain. The rebound has a large range of adjustment from pogo stick fast to very, very slow.

Apart from experimenting with the rebound settings I didn't have to do anything else. You keep your eyes on the trail and the fork smooths out the terrain. I'm using most of the travel usually on fast descends, but the last cm of travel needs a good hit to be reached. Haven't felt anything like a harsh bottom out so far, even though I've found the red o-ring at the top of the stanchion on many occassions.

My riding consists of mostly xc routes, which often include natural techy singletrack, rocks, loose, mud etc. I'm always looking to have fun with what the terrain offers, popping off rocks and roots and this fork isn't holding me back in any way. If or when I change it, it will be to get something with a thru-axle, as I a bit more stiffness would be welcome, but not necessary.