Fox Racing Shox 32 Talas 150 CTD ADJ Fit 2013 Forks

Master the mountain using the Fox 32 Talas 150 CTD-ADJ FIT 15QR 1.5T. The innovative CTD dial provides three distinct travel settings: Climb, Trail, and Descend making it easier than ever to dial in your fork for your current terrain. The Climb mode is obviously the firmest setting, offering the greatest pedaling efficiency. The Trail mode offers moderate low-speed compression setting is activated for an optimal blend of pedaling efficiency and bike control on variable terrain.

Submitted by Farmer Ted a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Travel adjust, relatively linear spring rate, nice over big bumps

Weaknesses:    Long break in period, small bump compliance is almost non-existant, excessive stiction, forget overhauling it yourself,

Bottom Line:
This came on my 2013 Giant Reign 0 and I have mixed feelings about it. Overall, it is a highly adjustable fork and it works great over big bumps once you get the fork moving but the small bump compliance is nearly nil and there's a ton of stiction in this thing. I have a lot of experience with Fox Float forks as well as Rockshox Reba and SID forks and they are all a hundred times more plush than the Talas out of the box. This fork was so sticky when it was new I thought there was something wrong with it. I called Fox and they said it needed 10 or 15 hours to break in. I did that, and it's gotten a little better...it now has nearly 400 miles on it and probably 50 hours and it's better, but still sticky. I know it's not just my fork because I've been to several bike shops and tried the Talas forks on the floor models and they feel the same. Fox told me these are sticky because the Talas air unit has a ton of seals and O-rings in it that create all the stiction. Since I live right down the street from Push, I talked to them and they said the same thing. I guess that's how these are and it looks like they've been redesigned for 2014 to take care of some of these issues.

I took the lowers off and changed the oil at around 100 miles and will probably do it again soon. I know it's breaking in now because I actually have to use rebound damping where it was sticky enough before just the friction on the return stroke acted as rebound damping.

The CTD/ trail adjust compression damping is kind of fiddly and pointless. With all the stiction, I just run it wide open unless I'm doing an extended fire road climb and then I'll put it in climb mode. The 'Trail' mode isn't worth my time although I do like it on the rear shock.

The Talas travel adjust feature is useful and I use it constantly as I have a lot of very steep and technical climbs in my area. When you drop the travel on a climb, the slack all-mountain geometry instantly feels like steeper XC geometry and makes climbs much easier for me. The fork does feel softer in the 120mm mode and also seems to have better small bump sensitivity in this mode as well.

The Talas really comes into it's own on fast technical descents and it really does soak up the big hits well once you get it working.

The air chart for this is way off and it's my understanding that that's kind of normal for these forks. To get the correct sag out of it, I'm only running about 50psi and I think the manual said that for my weight I should be at 70-80 psi. It's no big deal...I do get full travel out of it.

I'd probably be disappointed if I paid $900 for this fork but since it came on the bike, I'll give it some more time and see if it gets better. I may send it off to Push this winter and see what they can do with it. If it blows up and I have to replace it, I'll probably just look into getting a Rockshox Revelation instead.