Suntour Epicon XC-TAD 2012 Forks

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Suntour Epicon XC-TAD Forks - 15mm 2010. Forks - Suspension. Features: ?I.C.E.: Yes ?Travel: 140 - 100 mm ?System: Dual chamber air travel adjust ?Lower: Magnesium monocoque for 15mm Q-LOC system design ?Design: 15mm through axle / Disc only design ?Dustseal: Metal inserted type ?Crown: Alloy ?Pitch: 130m ....

Submitted by wcollier1390

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2012

Strengths:    Great fork for the money!!! Good for an all mountain ride or XC not so much DH

Weaknesses:    Non yet but I haven't riden them a whole lot I got them cheap from Taiwan and they are great

Bottom Line:

Submitted by OBR a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome value
Smooth stroke
Super stiff
Pretty flippin' light for the price
Great big-hit damping

Weaknesses:    Plastic rebound knob
Not terribly sensitive on the small bump side
Oil Cartridge

Bottom Line:
I am not rich by any means, but I also did not want a junk set of forks. I ride pretty hard and I am not a small guy at 6'1 200 l#, so I tend to be pretty hard on components, so some bargain basement stuff was not going to work. The fork I was looking for had to be air sprung for easy adjustment, and have 120-140mm of travel for some big hits and sloppy riding. I did my homework and came upon the SR Suntour Epicon TAD 140mm.

Yea, when I first saw them I thought "Ugh, f-n Suntour? You're kidding, right?" I almost could not get myself to buy them because of some old-school brand stigma. Turns out these forks are made in the same factory (and with some of the same parts) as Marzocchi forks anyway. Plus the features I want are there--Air sprung, oil damped, adjustable rebound damping, magnesium 1-piece lowers, alloy steerer, travel adjust, 140 mm travel--all at the measly price of $300. Shipped fresh from the factory in Taiwan, these things cost me $297 out the door on ebay. And after half a dozen rides, I am thoroughly impressed with them.

I have a hardtail/AM setup, and dang, these forks have saved my butt on more than one occasion. They feel solid on the big hits, plush everywhere else and responsive enough to take up a rock or root that should probably be hopped instead of rolled over. The small bump sensitivity leaves a little to be desired, but it is mountain biking, I can take a little rattling around as long as they soak up the big stuff.

All in all, there is absolutely no better value in forks out there. You can whine about them being Suntours all you want, but these are awesome forks. If you are a brand snob, go ahead and help yourself to spending twice as much to get the exact same features and performance if you're that scurred of your snotty buddies making fun of you.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho Camp, Fairfax CA