RockShox Recon Silver TK 2012 Forks

3.55/5 (11 Reviews)

Rock Shox Recon-Silver TK SoloAir QR-D 29", 100/80mm 2011: SoloAir spring system (positive/negative) with external Schrader valve. Internally adjustable with All-Travel spacer to change travel by 20mm (stock travel listed first).

Submitted by Tyler a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth as butter if you asked me to describe this fork with a few words! Great for the money, it isnt difficult to lockout when going city speeds or slow trail speeds, and the rebound pre-load take a bit to adjust to my preference of riding, but thats probley cause its my first time getting into mountain biking parts and mountain biking itself. Excellent on value. 2012 model of this fork ( coil )

Weaknesses:    TURN LOCKOUT ON WHEN RIDING IN THE STREETS OR SIDE WALKS, if lockout is on and your going quite fast then your turns are going to be quite wide. But I honestly cant think of any CONS of this fork.

Bottom Line:
Use google to look around on almost every website and you will find anything for a hell of a good price!

Duration Product Used:   3-4 months

Purchased At:   Price point

Bike Setup:   Soon to be monarch RT3 at the back of my 2008 Diamondback coil EX ( 80% is aftermarket parts )

Submitted by J-Bone

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Price-function for the price you can't beat it. Works as described.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Low rung shock with great value since its cheap. Rides smooth and responsive.

Submitted by iowinos a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Strengths:    Still comes with QRs and standard steerer. Price. Air spring works fine. Came with pump and rebuild kit.

Weaknesses:    The lockout doesn't work. I'm leery of taking it into a shot as repair costs defeat the whole point of the QPR.

Bottom Line:
Mine is the 29er with Solo Air: It's great to find an air fork that still mainly comes in a 1.125" steerer with quick release dropouts. I get it that the market is moving toward newer innovations but for a replacement or entry level bike upgrade, this is a great option, as it is likely compatible with entry level stock parts. Considering it's an affordable 29er fork with QR dropouts, it's not the stiffest fork you can find, but for the money it's fine in my opinion. The lockout really doesn't do anything on my fork - not sure what the issue is, as the lockout on other Rockshox forks (old Tora, etc) worked great.

Favorite Trail:   Swope

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Tora, Reba, Marzocchi DJ

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29er

Submitted by Justin Paeltz

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Strengths:    Price, look, durability.

Weaknesses:    Not good for Clydesdales, I weighed 275 pounds when I purchased the bike I rode this with after losing 30 pounds I thought that would help, but it didn't. With only 80mm of travel this doesn't take much to bottom out.

Bottom Line:
Spend a little more and get a better fork, you'll regret buying this one if you're looking for an upgrade or replacement - regardless of rider's weight.

Submitted by TJ Terry

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2012

Strengths:    Relatively light -- Very plushy -- Great for XC

Weaknesses:    Tends to dent upon slight impact -- Strictly made for XC -- Runs a QR (quick release)

Bottom Line:
This is a decent fork for the money. I recommend getting a used fork for this price on pinkbike.com

Submitted by Skrufryder

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2012

Strengths:    Much lighter than the Suntour forks I had. Gota love the adjustability of an Air spring! Adjustable from 80-120mm! Mine didnt come with head set but had the shock pump and complete rebuild kit and a few stickers.

Weaknesses:    No V-brake mounts? I still use them, but this frame is disc only so....

Bottom Line:
Nice forks, lighter than previous, Air shock adjustability! I dont know if you guys do your own maintenance, but thier website has all the info you need, and some vids. Mine came with a rebuild kit, Awesome!

Submitted by mk.utlra

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2012

Strengths:    Good value, feels 100x better than my SR Suntour XCM V3

Weaknesses:    Lockout was broken on arrival

Bottom Line:
Excellent fork but the lockout was broken on arrival. I never use the lockout anyways so I guess it's not really an issue, but I felt like I needed to subtract a couple stars anyways for this...

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Air fork, nice and plush, easy to play around with rebound setting and air pressure.

Weaknesses:    Lockout can be a bit awkward to turn on, feels smooth but has some resistance.

Bottom Line:
This fork came with my Avanti Aggressor hardtail.
It doesn't bottom out 'hard', compresses exponentially at the end of travel and never notice 'blowing though' the forks travel.
Mine had to be sent back to SRAM on warranty within 2 months as air canister had blown up. But has since been going strong for a year.
Air pressure guide seems to be correct for at least my weight, I use the top of whats recommended as I ride aggressive downhill and like to prevent too much bobbing without using lockout.

Submitted by ChewynMe a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth rebound and compression
Color options
Easy to lube and clean

Weaknesses:    Lockout switch had too much resistance
Rebound adjustor not very effective
Fragile

Bottom Line:
Simply put, this fork broke in 6 weeks. Less than 100 miles into ownership it has to be sent to SRAM for repair. WTF? The shock was very responsive while working properly. I had no trouble with smaller jumps and drops, and it saved my hide a time or two because the 100mm travel is so smooth. Wish it was keeping me from riding for the next couple of weeks.

Similar Products Used:   Old school Suntour shocks

Bike Setup:   See profile for ChewynMe info

Submitted by huffster a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Simplicity of operation. Lockout on/off and air pressure. One fitting applies air to both positive and negative chamber. Air makes this very "tunable" to your riding preference, weight, etc. Real plush in the bumps especially compared to the stock SR Suntour coil fork that came on the bike. It comes preset at 100mm, but its flexible to go 80mm or 120mm with spacers provided. It came with a shock pump and a full rebuild kit with wipers, seals, etc.

Weaknesses:    Set up for disc or cantilever. So, if you are running disc you will have those little cantilever posts or you can remove them and have holes. Nothing that effects the function though.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Solo-Air version, not the Coil spring version. It is made for XC and it performs well in that environment. I consider myself a XC/AM rider and I hit lots of rocky, rooty terrain where I ride. It has handled it real well so far. This version is not for the thru axle so it supports the QR. Also, you can buy a little more expensive version which has pop-loc remote lockout to mount on your handlebar. I did not chose that since it seemed like more parts to break. Similarly you can buy a cheaper version which is coil spring. I wanted to go to air, so I paid the extra.

Favorite Trail:   Wawayanda SP and Newburgh SF

Purchased At:   Pedal Sports, Oaklan

Submitted by abelfonseca a Cross Country Rider from San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2012

Strengths:    The forks seem to be fairly progresive, rebound and preload (air pressure) adjustment, light, lockout works great, good travel, travel can be modified(80-120 mm) with the use of spacers, easy to mantain. It is a world apart from the srsuntour that came stock with my previous bike, those stock forks were very basic and limited BTW.

Weaknesses:    QC problems: in my case, the air shock came instaled on the bike with no oil lubricating the top and lower o rings on the air piston. This caused to the fork to loose air fairly quickly. I had to disasemble them after using them for a month to fix the problem. After adding the specified oil quatity and type the forks have worked great, no air loss.

Bottom Line:
These forks feel great. I have much more confidence now when riding downhill. So much extra confidence that I ended up wrecking after doing bunny hops over obstacles while descending at 40 km/h , luckily the bike sustained minimal damage. Apart from the air leaking from the spring which I guess is an isolated problem, these are a great value for the money.

Favorite Trail:   El Merendon

Purchased At:   DIBISA

Similar Products Used:   Srsuntour stock fork on a hardrock disk.

Bike Setup:   2011 specialized camber comp stock

True weight of Rockshox Recon Silver TK lower than listed

Just received my fork today! I went to my LBS and it is getting installed as we speak. I was curious about the weight difference between the stock Suntour XCR 29" and the Rockshox Recon Silver TK 29". Rockshox lists the Recon at 2186g. My local bike shop weighted the Recon before any cutting ... Read More »

Manitou R7 Pro vs. Rock Shox Recon Silver TK??

I'm trying to decide between the Manitou R7 Pro and the Rock Shox Recon Silver TK. This will be used on a hard tail KHS frame casual trail riding, small jumps, etc. I'm leaning towards the slightly more expensive Manitou for 2 reasons: 1) Manitou is lighter (1620g compared to 2069g) 2) I've been u ... Read More »

rock shox tk 30 gold solo air, recon silver or suntour epicon x1?

Hi Im looking these to folks and not sure what to buy. Im 90kg and it will be fitted on a jamis durango sport 2012 Will be using for xc and single trail. Thanks BrendanRead More »

Recon Silver TK Solo Air excess sag

Hi all, my 26" recon needs its first rebuild which I want to do myself. For the past month I have been noticing that the sag has been increasing, but my air pressure stays constant so is not leaking (and I havent got any fatter!). In the last week or so, the dust seals have started failing as I am ... Read More »

Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Solo air 2013 any good?

I'm looking for a new xc/trail fork since my old suntour is more like a rigid fork not suspension. This fork looks good and is quite cheap for €260 with fork pump and remote lockout. Is it a good deal? Should I look for a lighter fork? All the forks which are lighter are €320 and more without fork p ... Read More »